Do you use different ringtones on your cell phone?

Do you use custom ringtones?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take advantage of different ringtones?

Pretty straightforward, do you use customized ringtones on your phone, or just leave it with the stock tones? I personally use multiple tones to tell right away who is calling/texting without having to look at caller ID.

• 3 months later...

Just use the classic analog phone ringing tone. If I used my phone more (I really hate talking on the phone), I would probably use different tones, but just don't have the need now.

I only have two custom ringtones, one for my daughter so I know to answer it, and one for the ex so I know to duck and cover. 

• Like 2

I use John Carpenter's Attack On Precinct 13 main Theme as a Phone ringtone, Haloween theme as SMS and notification sound and The Fog main theme as Viber's ringtone ... until RIAA catches me :)

Can you do this in iOS? I sure used to on Android, when I first got into smartphones, but over the years I used it less and less. Only just recently, after over a year of switching to iPhone, I got all my old ringtones back. And then I got rid of a bunch and added more. I found a website, mp3cut dot net, that lets you upload audio, and then it can make a ringtone (like you would do with Audacity) and it can save as Mp3 (Android) or M4r (iPhone). Here's where things get interesting. I then found a couple YouTubers who convert songs into polyphonic ringtones. Except, they convert the whole song. Generally it's called chiptunes, but you can usually find them by just searching "8bit" on YouTube. Found a guy who has literally thousands of them. Just so happens, Jdownloader has this feature where simply copying a link to the clipboard adds it to the queue. So that's what I did, anything that looked remotely good... right click, "Copy link location." Got a few hundred. Made ringtones out of a few. So this is my ringtone (starts at 1:07). Well, the chorus of it. Oh, and that's the YouTuber with the thousands of chiptunes. I actually don't know how many there are, there's no actual video count that I could see. But it's a lot. Anyway, that's the one ringtone I have set right now.

On 2017/6/16 at 6:25 AM, Yogurth said:

I use John Carpenter's Attack On Precinct 13 main Theme as a Phone ringtone, Haloween theme as SMS and notification sound and The Fog main theme as Viber's ringtone ... until RIAA catches me :)

Nice. I'm a huge fan of John Carpenters soundtracks.
That said, I don't bother with ringtones (hardly ever get calls anyway). 

I have 2 phones, my home is AC-DC - highway to hell and for work, The Muppets. No end of entertainment of listening to people sing the Mahna Mahna song with no idea why they are doing it. 

I voted no because while my ringtone is Massive Attack's Paradise Circus, and my notification sound is the codec ring from MGS2 (I think I got it from here) they are applied to anyone that calls/messages. At the end of the day my phone is normally on silent anyway, so I rarely hear the sounds anyway.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Shiranui said:

Nice. I'm a huge fan of John Carpenters soundtracks.
That said, I don't bother with ringtones (hardly ever get calls anyway). 

Yeah, he is the master :)

Love a good custom ringtone and have ever since using a Nokia 7650. 

My current default comes from

There used to be a time I used to assign different tunes to different sets of people. But now, nope. I just keep using the tune my phone shipped with.

On a side note, my old Nokia 5230 used to read out caller names. Do you recommend any app that reads out the caller name/number? (both ios and android)

3 hours ago, raider360 said:

Nope, it's 90% on silent. 10% is something Apple's default only when I am at the crowded places.

Yep, this.

When I was in high school, I had ring tones for everyone; now I either use stock or the one I purchased through the app store, but most of the time these days my phone is on vibrate/silent.

Ring tone - Tron Son of Flynn

Text - Power Rangers tone

11 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I voted no because while my ringtone is Massive Attack's Paradise Circus, and my notification sound is the codec ring from MGS2 (I think I got it from here) they are applied to anyone that calls/messages. At the end of the day my phone is normally on silent anyway, so I rarely hear the sounds anyway.

Cool song.

ive changed to star wars cantina tune, due to wife also having an LG phone. at work its usually on silent, but sometimes i forget and it usually creates giggles with other snr admins im in global skype for B calls with......oops :p im a big kid really.

Only other ringtone i have is for my good lady.....

being a big orbital fan i used to have 

(yes im that old)

and OFC 

Edited by Mando

Used to years go.  Just use the one with a classic phone sound for all calls now.  I dont get many  calls these days anyway, mostly texts.  I have a custom sound for my text but that is about it.

Yes, I have 3 distinct one's set. One's my default ringer, one for when my wife calls, and one for when it's my kids.

I also use custom notification tones that I've acquired over the years... Symbian Nokia's were fun like that.

Mine is a Mario theme.

One thing that boggles my mind about muting an Android phone and Android Wear is that in all of their wisdom they have wear mirror the phone. So if you mute the phone it mutes the watch, one of the stupidest ideas ever. So you can't mute the phone and have the watch vibrate. At least not by default. I had to install color note to get around it.

22 minutes ago, warwagon said:

One thing that boggles my mind about muting an Android phone and Android Wear is that in all of their wisdom they have wear mirror the phone. So if you mute the phone it mutes the watch, one of the stupidest ideas ever. So you can't mute the phone and have the watch vibrate. At least not by default. I had to install color note to get around it.

i use the mute app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=muter.muter ) to turn all the volume and vibration off, and watchmaker for my faces, and my watch vibrates while my phone is muted.

just another suggestion for a work-around.    (not sure if it's the combo that allows it, or just using the mute app alone would work)