Should this be "Disabled" for even more Privacy?

Hello Members!

Wish to inquire about this>> Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder.

Description reads - "Allows this PC to be discovered & located on the Network".

Query is - discovered & located by whom?

& secondly, Can this be "Disabled" by the admirers of Privacy?

What if one wish to remain anonymous & choose not be discovered & located by whatsoever?!

Instead of using Proxies & VPNs..can't this be simply disabled to serve the very same Objective?...or atleast near to that?

Inputs awaited please...

Thank you. 

clipimage.jpg

What do you not understand here?  It explains exactly what it does - it allows the computer to be found on the network - by other computers and their users.  It has nothing to do with security.

Is this part of that "seamless" experience that you claim XP offers?

29 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Did you not get an answer 2 years ago?

Thanks for reminding me on this....

A re-look have rather unleashed a vital observation, & here it goes... 

clipimage.jpg

27 minutes ago, Eric said:

That's local network only so unless you don't trust your other computers there's no need to turn it off.

& What will the impact on the overall Latency? Will it be reduced somewhat upon deselecting the same?

Help me unleash a New Tweak! :-)

33 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

Is this part of that "seamless" experience that you claim XP offers?

Ya Nik!

I wish to make it even More slick! :-)

Iam feeling on Top of the World after downscaling my OS to Win XP!

& now there is this streak to Tweak it even more!..make it a 0-Waist Ramp Model!..u see. :-)

52 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Ya Nik!

I wish to make it even More slick! :-)

Iam feeling on Top of the World after downscaling my OS to Win XP!

& now there is this streak to Tweak it even more!..make it a 0-Waist Ramp Model!..u see. :-)

You don't understand what you are messing with.  End of conversation!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

You don't understand what you are messing with.

I had always believed that 'Neowinions' would be more adventurous of sorts...& rather invoke our natural instincts to tinker with things & learn from it!

Help me score the Zenith of an OS performance rather!

Give me some Sunshine, Give me some Rain.

Give me an another chance..I wish to grow up once again! 

No absolutely do not disable that, it will stop your computer from ever working again.

What you need to do to enhance the security though is untick the box next to 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' as this is a sign of a virus that has been installed on your computer. After unticking it, clicking OK and restarting your PC should be free of all viruses!

Just now, saurabhdua said:

I had always believed that 'Neowinions' would be more adventurous of sorts...& rather invoke our natural instincts to tinker with things & learn from it!

First, put a version of Windows on it that's actually supported (and by more than the OS vendor, so Vista is out.)  Then, you can have better power management, better networking, a better GUI, a more reliable system, modern drivers, use all the RAM in your system, current APIs, and it will use the resources in your system more intelligently.

Then, you can tinker all you want.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, n_K said:

No absolutely do not disable that, it will stop your computer from ever working again.

What you need to do to enhance the security though is untick the box next to 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' as this is a sign of a virus that has been installed on your computer. After unticking it, clicking OK and restarting your PC should be free of all viruses!

You got me Dude! :rofl:

59 minutes ago, LostCat said:

First, put a version of Windows on it that's actually supported (and by more than the OS vendor, so Vista is out.)  Then, you can have better power management, better networking, a better GUI, a more reliable system, modern drivers, use all the RAM in your system, current APIs, and it will use the resources in your system more intelligently.

Then, you can tinker all you want.

Hi there!

As long as Software makers continue to support the compatibility with Win XP, the legacy version is neither out of sight nor out of mind!

Those on the newer versions & those on Win XP SP3 are essentially in the same league!

Its just that..those who endear Legacy version are Minimalists of kind!

Thank you...& I do feel the visible difference after Downscaling, then why vouch for Fancy versions?

1 hour ago, saurabhdua said:

Adventurous? Sure. Foolish? Not so much. 

12 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Hi there!

As long as Software makers continue to support the compatibility with Win XP, the legacy version is neither out of sight nor out of mind!

ummm They don't, pretty much none of the modern browsers support XP. banks will not support XP. Games are pretty much not supporting XP for years now. the list of software makers dropping XP support is starting to look like "all of them" rapidly. the only software left is old, outdated and unsupported software that isn't safe or secure to use.

15 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Thank you...& I do feel the visible difference after Downscaling, then why vouch for Fancy versions?

Then install Windows 10. and turn off all the animations, and magically your "fast" XP will like like an old lada compared to a ferrari. 

33 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Then install Windows 10. and turn off all the animations, and magically your "fast" XP will like like an old lada compared to a ferrari. 

On my Poor HP machine equipped with >> AMD E1-1500 << as well? I have real doubts about the same!

Newer versions like Win 10 are more familiarized with Tiny Text sizes & consequently - High power of lenses!

With XP, Iam wading the winds like a Birdman! :-) 

1 minute ago, saurabhdua said:

On my Poor HP machine equipped with >> AMD E1-1500 << as well? I have real doubts about the same!

Newer versions like Win 10 are more familiarized with Tiny Text sizes & consequently - High power of lenses!

With XP, Iam wading the winds like a Birdman! :-) 

yes even on that, a faster more efficient system is faster and more efficient regardless of how crap the underlying hardware is.

Think we should all just stop trying to help saurabhdua

At least till he's on a modern OS and has gotten a clue about about basic security and not randomly poking around turning off services at random for "security" or "privacy" 

There's no need to turn off anything in Win 10 unless your're tin foil hat is on too tight 

• Like 2

For what it is worth, Windows 10 is far more secure than xp being that xp is no longer receiving maintanence patches to help counter exploits of the system.  As of 2015, extended support has ended for Windows xp. The only way to secure the is properly is to go to Windows 7 or above. Manufactures have no choice but to stop supporting xp. While you have gotten things to work on your system, I don't think it is wise to have gone to that os. 

True that there may have been some visual changes that could have done, but on a computer that is worth anything, people have noticed speed increases, not decreases.  Perhaps, you were using a bloated factory image on your computer causing slowness. This could have been addressed by using a Microsoft version that does not contain any manufacturer bloat (unwanted or unnecessary software)

"What if one wish to remain anonymous & choose not be discovered & located by whatsoever?!"

You do understand that is local network only? The layer 2 you are currently on.  Do you have any other computers on your network?  I find it hard to believe that your running multiple machines on your home network?

That is not installed on windows machine out of the box, it has to be added.  Did you add it??

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922120

What version of XP are you running, SP3??