Nintendo NX reveal today @ 7:00AM PT/ 10:00AM ET

Of course it has to be released the same month I am getting married and will have spent all of my money, haha. Looks nice though! I wonder what the battery life is like? Screen resolution? Overall specs?

All of the big boys on board...

505 Games

Activision Publishing, Inc.

ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co.,Ltd.

ATLUS CO.,LTD.

Audiokinetic Inc.

Autodesk, Inc

BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.

Bethesda

CAPCOM CO., LTD.

Codemasters®

CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.

DeNA Co., Ltd

Electronic Arts

Epic Games Inc.

Firelight Technologies

FromSoftware, Inc.

Frozenbyte

GameTrust

GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.

HAMSTER Corporation

Havok

INTI CREATES CO., LTD.

KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.

Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

LEVEL-5 Inc.

Marvelous Inc.

Maximum Games, LLC

Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.

Parity Bit Inc.

PlatinumGames Inc.

RAD Game Tools, Inc.

RecoChoku Co.,Ltd.

SEGA Games Co., Ltd.

Silicon Studio Corporation

Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.

SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.

Starbreeze Studios

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

Telltale Games

THQ Nordic

Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.

TT Games

UBISOFT

Ubitus Inc.

Unity Technologies, Inc.

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Web Technology Corp.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/October/Nintendo-Switch-world-premiere-demonstrates-new-entertainment-experiences-from-a-home-gaming-system-1148687.html

20th October, 2016 – In an introductory video released today at http://www.nintendo.co.uk/nintendoswitch, Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single-player and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch dock that connects the console to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting the Nintendo Switch console from the dock, it will instantly transition to handheld mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on a train, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of the Nintendo Switch console. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con controllers can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch consoles together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“With this first look at Nintendo Switch, I hope fans are already imagining the possibilities of having the freedom to play when, where, and how they want to,” said Satoru Shibata, president of Nintendo of Europe. “Our teams at Nintendo, and many other developers, are all working hard to create new and unique experiences, and we look forward to showing you more.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

Today’s video incorporated short glimpses of representative gameplay to demonstrate the liberating nature of the Nintendo Switch home gaming system. Full game demonstrations, the list of launch window titles, as well as launch date, product configuration and related specifics will be shown and announced prior to the March launch.

It looks good, learning from the lessons of the Wii U but clearly building on the idea. I just hope its graphically powerful enough to compete, which will be difficult if it is running on batteries on the handheld. I wonder if there is an extra GPU in the base that helps run stuff in 4k maybe.

9 minutes ago, anthdci said:

I wonder if there is an extra GPU in the base that helps run stuff in 4k maybe.

I doubt it'll support 4k.

I just hope its graphically powerful enough to compete

It doesn't need to compete. It needs to just have the games. 1st party and 3rd. 

if it is running on batteries on the handheld.

Well it's obvious that it'll run on batteries. Most likely a LIon battery of some type.

Also powered by Nvidia so most likely the new Tegra X2.

It looks good, learning from the lessons of the Wii U but clearly building on the idea. I just hope its graphically powerful enough to compete, which will be difficult if it is running on batteries on the handheld. I wonder if there is an extra GPU in the base that helps run stuff in 4k maybe.

Probably wont. But then it's an handheld console so doesn't really have to be if the price is right. Could be the best handheld console ever made. Not sure there's still a big market for that though. Tablets these days are very powerful and can play very good games. Yes playing action games on them is cumbersome but they can also do many more things than just gaming. App Store and Play Store already have a huge library.

If the switch can play videos and access Netflix and the likes. If you can read books on it and have access to kindle and the likes. If you can buy and play old NES, SNES, GBA, DS games on it. Then i can see it being a success. I think it will need to supports apps. I already have a tablet and i don't see myself investing in a purely handheld gaming console. At one point i don't want to have too many tech devices laying around. I already have my Ipod, smart phone, nexus and surface pro. I could see myself replacing my nexus tablet with that if i can browse the web, plays videos, read books with it and if it's not too big.

Just now, wakjak said:

I doubt it'll support 4k.

It doesn't need to compete. It needs to just have the games. 1st party and 3rd. 

Well it's obvious that it'll run on batteries. Most likely a LIon battery of some type.

If it doesn't support 4k then it is behind the times before even being released.

Compete was probably the wrong word, it is obviously very different to the PS4 and XB1, but people will still have to pick which one they are going to buy. So if they like playing stuff like tomb raider, fifa and other cross platform games, then the machine they look the best on is the one people will buy.

Yes i know it's obvious it runs on batteries, it is certainly going to be lithium ion,  my point was they aren't going to get as high powered cpu/gpu in there compared to if it was running on mains all the time. Hence my thought of it having extra graphics processing in the base.

2 minutes ago, anthdci said:

If it doesn't support 4k then it is behind the times before even being released.

Compete was probably the wrong word, it is obviously very different to the PS4 and XB1, but people will still have to pick which one they are going to buy. So if they like playing stuff like tomb raider, fifa and other cross platform games, then the machine they look the best on is the one people will buy.

Yes i know it's obvious it runs on batteries, it is certainly going to be lithium ion,  my point was they aren't going to get as high powered cpu/gpu in there compared to if it was running on mains all the time. Hence my thought of it having extra graphics processing in the base.

Doesn't sound like it'll have anything extra, It's Tegra based, and they compare it to their gaming GPU's. So it's probably going to scale to fit whatever it's on. If it's docked, then whatever resolution they're running for the dock/console and in hand it'll scale down to whatever resolution the tablet is using.

It makes sense to be tegra based. I just think it's a missed opportunity if they don't support 4k. Similar to how the Wii didn't support HD.

Everything looks good so far for me but the make or break will be the specs.

I'll almost certainly get this as long as the docked performance is at least as good as the launch Xbox One and the mobile performance is at least as good as a PS Vita.  I'm totally cool with a cartridge based console that outputs to only 1080p (even if it renders internally at 900p) on the TV if it converts to a mobile that can do at least 540p (quarter 1080p) when on the go with decent battery life.

Being able to output 4k@60 fps video (for Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) would be a nice bonus but isn't a deal breaker if it's not there for me.

1 minute ago, anthdci said:

It makes sense to be tegra based. I just think it's a missed opportunity if they don't support 4k. Similar to how the Wii didn't support HD.

I honestly don't care about 4K because I realize if that was pushed the price would bump WAY up to what I would consider unreasonable (and outside my price range)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, anthdci said:

It helps if you don't think of it as a home console but as a mobile one that just happens to dock.  As such it's a replacement for the 3DS and its competition is the PS Vita both of which I'm sure it's way more powerful than.  It's also almost certainly more powerful than the Wii U so it replaces that as well but I doubt it will be more powerful than even the launch PS4 let alone the Pro or Project Scorpio.  I think you're best bet for ANY 4k support at all is that the GPU likely supports HEVC decoding so it MAY be able to stream 4k netflix, amazon, youtube, etc. VIDEO.  There's pretty much zero chance it will do any sort of 4k native gaming... maybe it will upscale 1080p to 4k... but again it's not going to compete with the PS4 Pro or Project Scorpio which aren't mobile at all and I really don't think it needs to.  What it does need though, lacking those specs, is a reasonable price.  It needs to cost less than the Xbox One S IMHO but if it does it should sell well.

1 hour ago, Asmodai said:

if it converts to a mobile that can do at least 540p (quarter 1080p)

They've (nintendo) already stated that the tablet is an HD screen. So most likely it'll be 720p at minimum. Performance wise, it should be equal to the docked version. Maybe just a resolution change. That should be the only thing that happens when you undock.

7 minutes ago, wakjak said:

They've (nintendo) already stated that the tablet is an HD screen. So most likely it'll be 720p at minimum. Performance wise, it should be equal to the docked version. Maybe just a resolution change. That should be the only thing that happens when you undock.

I was just giving my personal minimum acceptable specs to make it a day one purchase for me.  I wasn't trying to say it IS any of those things.

Also what I was really talking about is what the games render at internally not just the number of pixels on the screen.  The Xbox One for example often targets 900p despite typically being attached to a 1080p screen.  They could have a 720p screen on the handheld but have the GPU drop down when not attached to the dock to conserve power and not output to that resolution natively... just upscale the output to it instead.

For the sake of battery life I'd be cool if they dropped the GPU down to render 540p internally and then upscaled it to 1080p.  A 1080p display on the tablet would still be useful when on the go for things like watching video, facebook, etc. assuming it even supports apps and such.  Again I'm not saying it DOES any of this, it's just the MINIMUM I'd expect from the console to get me to pull the trigger right away.  That said I'd be surprised if there wasn't a performance difference between docked and undocked... seems like it would be a huge waste as you could ramp up the gpu when connected to the wall but doing so undocked would kill battery life.

Anyway we'll see in due time.

King Boo in Mario Kart '8' and New Splatoon Goodness - Breaking Down the Nintendo Switch Reveal

[....]

Let's start with the Mario Kart we see - it looks like Mario Kart 8, but two key details standout that aren't in the Wii U game.

• King Boo as a playable character.
  • Stacked items, two available for each racer.

So, what about Splatoon? There's a lot of debate over whether what we're seeing is a sequel or an expanded 'Director's Cut' of the Wii U title. Our video man Alex, who says he's "played the arse off" the original, believes the following are all new in the snippets from the reveal.

• New 'hairstyles'
  • New maps
  • Higher res textures
  • Motion controls (we think, but won't bet the house on it) in 'Pro Controller'
  • New animations
  • Players spawn in a different formation
  • New weapon designs

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/king_boo_in_mario_kart_8_and_new_splatoon_goodness_-_breaking_down_the_nintendo_switch_reveal

-----

NVIDIA Technology Powers New Home Gaming System, Nintendo Switch

The first thing to know about the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system: it’s really fun to play. With great graphics, loads of game titles and incredible performance, the Nintendo Switch will provide people with many hours of engaging and interactive gaming entertainment.

But creating a device so fun required some serious engineering. The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals. They all had to be rethought and redesigned for Nintendo to deliver the best experience for gamers, whether they’re in the living room or on the move.

A Console Architecture for the Living Room and Beyond

Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

The Nintendo Switch’s gaming experience is also supported by fully custom software, including a revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools and libraries. NVIDIA additionally created new gaming APIs to fully harness this performance. The newest API, NVN, was built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses.

Gameplay is further enhanced by hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering.

We’ve optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases. This includes custom operating system integration with the GPU to increase both performance and efficiency.

NVIDIA gaming technology is integrated into all aspects of the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system, which promises to deliver a great experience to gamers.

The Nintendo Switch will be available in March 2017. More information is available at https://www.nintendo.com/switch.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

3 hours ago, wakjak said:

We won't really know anything until they announce the specs/after release. Hopefully we get a new Nintendo Direct soon that dives into some of the specs that we're all wondering.

I'm hoping nVidia will want to brag a bit about the custom Tegra they've made now that the cat's officially out of the bag.