I found a Woz Limited Edition Apple 2GS

29885433504_777c239de6_c.jpg

Tuesday night, my mom and I were looking through stuff in the basement. The subject of the Apple 2GS came up and she wondered if I had taken it, or if it was still here in a box. We looked around and it.

As we were talking about it I mentioned to my mom about the "Waz limited Edition" Apple 2GS. I said I had read about it online while watching some youtube videos. I said, wouldn't it be neat if we had one.

When my mom purchased the Apple 2GS she did so at a time when it was pretty new. So we thought we would check. We started unpacking the box, lifting out all the disk drives and the heavy monitor. Then at the bottom of the box was the 2GS. I lifted it out of the box and rotated it around and on the front it said "Woz : Limited Edition"

It has everything except an Apple Printer.

How cool is that!

After looking it up the "Waz Limited Edition Apple 2GS" was printed on the first 50,000 Apple 2GS. That is 50,000 out of  1.25 million. While 50,000 is still quite a few, i'm sure that number will go down as people toss them.

Just called my dad to have him take a picture of the serial number.

After looking up the serial number on the 2GS it appears it was made in 52nd week 1986. That was the first year of production. it appears this 2GS might be one of the first 21,744 - 22,718 made. That's 22,718 out of the 2.8 Million they produced from 86 - 92.

I can show you where there is a pile of those (2gs's).... sitting in a warehouse for our local school district.... and a bunch of them are the "limited editions" (probably about 20 of them)

1 minute ago, neufuse said:

I can show you where there is a pile of those.... sitting in a warehouse for our local school district.... and a bunch of them are the "limited editions"

Yes. The serial number once I get a photo of it, should tell me at least which number I have. As far as how far into production this one was

Alright, I got the serial number and I'm trying to decipher it.

29820195154_7e7db5229a_c.jpg

according to a site online

E : Factory code (E=Singapore, CK=Cork Ireland, ...) 
7 : Year of production (7=1987, 8=1988, 9=1989, 0=1990, 1=1991...) 
49 : Week number (01-52) 
YJA : current # / based on units built this week 
A2S6000 : Apple IIgs code

In this next section I think i'm decoding it wrong. Does someone want to help me out with this?

http://macfaq.org/serial.html

As far as I got, it looks like it was made in 52nd week of 1986 and it looks it was first one made that week? That is as far as i have gotten.

Also looking at this chart 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UB9TyF1h3mDyUXQgGm3Z7gxENAGOTFwL1fwLySoBRyU/edit#gid=8

it appears this 2GS might be one of the first 21,744 - 22,718 made

6 minutes ago, d5aqoëp said:

I will come straight to the point.

What price can you put on it if you plan to sell?

Really depends on deciphering the last part of the serial number above.

Very nice fine; still have my Mac Plus with which I bought back in 1987, and it still works, running Mac OS 7. . .:).  Don't used it, but it always there in case I need one really bad.

• 2 weeks later...