Philippines' Duterte, in China, announces 'separation' from US

Beijing (AFP) - Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte declared his "separation" from longstanding ally the United States in Beijing on Thursday, as he rebalances his country's diplomacy towards China.

Duterte is in China for a four-day trip seen as confirming his tilt away from Washington and towards Beijing's sphere of influence -- and its deep pockets.

"I announce my separation from the United States," he said to applause at a meeting in the Chinese capital.

"America does not control our lives. Enough ######," he added in a rambling speech that flipped between languages.

"How can you be the most powerful industrial country when you owe China and you are not paying it?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/duterte-meets-xi-philippines-cozies-beijing-044808788.html

Video in link shows him saying he might go to Russia and talk to Putin,  and says Philippines, China and Russia against the world.  

Duterte's split with the US? Not so fast, say Philippines officials

Philippines officials have gone into damage control mode after controversial President Rodrigo Duterte said the country's long-term alliance with the United States was over.

Philippines Trade Minister Ramon Lopez told CNN the country "would not stop trade and investment with the US."

"(Duterte) has decided to strengthen further and rekindle the ties with China and the ASEAN region," Lopez said, referring to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

There was widespread shock after Duterte announced his "separation" from the US, suggesting he would cut both economic and military ties, in favor of moving closer to Beijing.

"America has lost now. I've realigned myself in your ideological flow," President Duterte told business leaders in Beijing on Thursday.

"And maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, Philippines and Russia. It's the only way."

In a statement Friday, Duterte's office said the Philippines had no intention to renege on treaties or agreements with established allies.

The President's comments were "an assertion that we are an independent and sovereign nation, now finding common ground with friendly neighbors with shared aspirations in the spirit of mutual respect, support and cooperation," the statement said.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/21/asia/duterte-china-philippines-us/index.html