does the USN journal increase performance for hard disk ? like search files or other

hi

i have 2 questions

1) could delete USN journal of a ssd with an operation system mess up or generate issues ?

i know that after the reboot it will recreate it , but according microsoft  ....

Deleting the change journal impacts the File Replication Service (FRS) and the Indexing Service, because it would require these services to perform a complete (and time-consuming) scan of the volume. This in turn negatively impacts FRS SYSVOL replication and replication between DFS link alternates while the volume is being rescanned.

2) question , i have an hard disk (not ssd ) with data , and some external hard disk

well i have disabled USN journal with this fsutil usn deletejournal /n A:   a is only a name

but keep the USN journal on the hard disk with data increase performance ?

for example searching files , sorting folder and so on

thanks

cheers

Why would you do this?  what is your goal?

What windows OS are you running?  Do you not run backups on this disk..  You can look to the USN to see what has been changed since last backup.  If you have a crash of this volume and you don't have a USN you would have to completely reindex the volume.

At a lost to what you you think and advantage to deleting this and turning off the feature would get you exactly??

14 hours ago, BudMan said:

Why would you do this?  what is your goal?

What windows OS are you running?  Do you not run backups on this disk..  You can look to the USN to see what has been changed since last backup.  Ihave a USf you have a crash of this volume and you don't N you would have to completely reindex the volume.

At a lost to what you you think and advantage to deleting this and turning off the feature would get you exactly??

hi

i just read a mydefrag author ' article about it , to disable it , and i did it

there is no goal

i have disabled on my hard disk with data

about os , w10 pro 64 bit , w8.1 pro 64bit and w7 pro 64bit all installed on ssd

i did not understand your answers , shoud  i enable or keep disabled , my operation disk have all have the USN journal ON

thanks

There is is ZERO freaking reason to disable it.. And lots of reasons it should be on..  Like I said do you backup your disk?  How are you backing it up?  Backup software can use that to see what has changed, etc.  I you have any sort of volume crash your going to have to rebuild the whole index..

I really see no point to disable this.  If want to disable it for some defrag thing and then re enable it ok.. But to just disable it forever seems not a good idea..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

There is is ZERO freaking reason to disable it.. And lots of reasons it should be on..  Like I said do you backup your disk?  How are you backing it up?  Backup software can use that to see what has changed, etc.  I you have any sort of volume crash your going to have to rebuild the whole index..

I really see no point to disable this.  If want to disable it for some defrag thing and then re enable it ok.. But to just disable it forever seems not a good idea..

Hi BudMan

well , yes i use macrium reflect to create images

how can i enable it?

this command disable them fsutil usn deletejournal /n A:

when you think to have it on your external disk , about gain what do you think at first benefit  to have them enabled?

thanks again

51 minutes ago, drugo said:

Hi BudMan

well , yes i use macrium reflect to create images

how can i enable it?

this command disable them fsutil usn deletejournal /n A:

when you think to have it on your external disk , about gain what do you think at first benefit  to have them enabled?

thanks again

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363798(v=vs.85).aspx

Maybe read that.

According to your command-line, you removed it from your floppy drive?  Considering the A: switch.

As BudMan has mentioned several time, why would you feel the need to do this?

12 hours ago, farmeunit said:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363798(v=vs.85).aspx

Maybe read that.

According to your command-line, you removed it from your floppy drive?  Considering the A: switch.

As BudMan has mentioned several time, why would you feel the need to do this?

hi

i have just used for a while mydefrag , now it's gone , great program by the way

it could defrag the mtf and it's  the most powerfull defragger ever made ,i guess

in the homepage there was an advise to disable it

about a: it was only an example

but the link doesn't say how re-enable it!

thanks

So,  are you defragging an SSD ?

And ... why are you manually defragging anything on an OS more recent than XP ?

This isnt some attempt at trying to gain performance is it ?  NVM - I just re-read.

Kinda hard to understand what you are saying, but I think you are wondering if removing the journal on an external will help with performance ?  If that is what you are asking - just stop... you are going about things in the wrong way.

If that isnt what you were asking, I apologize, but like I said, its pretty hard trying to understand what you are saying.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788042(v=ws.11).aspx

I don't know what the values should be, but there is a createjournal option.

You might read this:

http://superuser.com/questions/342738/is-there-a-way-in-windows-7-to-disable-journaling

Apparently, disabling it, doesn't make it persistent, either.  If another application that requires it starts, then it will start.  I don't know much more than that, so you're on your own unless someone else has more information.  

Have you queried the journal to see if one came back?  I'm reality, "most" tweaks seldom do much to make your computer faster or better.  If you're looking for speed, get an SSD.  If you need space, get a bigger hard drive.  Defraggin nowadays isn't as big a deal as it used to be.  I used to defrag on the Pentium 4 I had with Windows XP and below, but can't even remember the last time I defrag since moving to Windows 7 and newer hardware.

11 hours ago, T3X4S said:

So,  are you defragging an SSD ?

And ... why are you manually defragging anything on an OS more recent than XP ?

This isnt some attempt at trying to gain performance is it ?  NVM - I just re-read.

Kinda hard to understand what you are saying, but I think you are wondering if removing the journal on an external will help with performance ?  If that is what you are asking - just stop... you are going about things in the wrong way.

If that isnt what you were asking, I apologize, but like I said, its pretty hard trying to understand what you are saying.

no

i'm not defrating ssd

but just read the beginning

hard disk with data ....they are hard disk with data , not ssd

i used mydefrag now it's gone

i used mydefrag and i remember in their home page  there was an article to disabled USN journal to perform the best defrag hard disk

3 hours ago, farmeunit said:

Have you queried the journal to see if one came back?  I'm reality, "most" tweaks seldom do much to make your computer faster or better.  If you're looking for speed, get an SSD.  If you need space, get a bigger hard drive.  Defraggin nowadays isn't as big a deal as it used to be.  I used to defrag on the Pentium 4 I had with Windows XP and below, but can't even remember the last time I defrag since moving to Windows 7 and newer hardware.

hi

i have 3 ssd , and 1 internal hard disk and several external hard disk

i have defrag my hard disk , i guess 2 year ago ,last time

i guess in your page there is a way to re-enable them

thanks

do this...

C:\>fsutil usn queryjournal c:\
Usn Journal ID   : 0x01d1cc93ee6f47da
First Usn        : 0x000000020aaa0000
Next Usn         : 0x000000020cdccaf8
Lowest Valid Usn : 0x00000001ccea0000
Max Usn          : 0x7fffffffffff0000
Maximum Size     : 0x0000000002000000
Allocation Delta : 0x0000000000400000

What does your show for your disk use d:\, e: or whatever your hdd is.

On 10/24/2016 at 2:44 PM, T3X4S said:

How is it everyone else can understand what he is trying to say ?

I need to take some sensitivity training I guess

Haha.  I just caught bits here and there.  Just throw out the rest, lol.