Fast & Furious producer Justin Lin is rebooting Knight Rider

Fast & Furious producer Justin Lin is rebooting Knight Rider

Thirty-something years later, KITT might not seem so futuristic

Fast & Furious producer Justin Lin is trading drag racing for AI-driven cars with a reboot of the ‘80s crime-fighting show Knight Rider.

The digital series, which is currently in development, is expected to launch in 2017. It’s a joint venture between Machinima — best known for productions like Mortal Kombat: Legacy 2 and Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist — NBCUniversal Brand Development, and Lin’s digital media company YouOffendMeYouOffendMyFamily (YOMYOMF).

The original Knight Rider aired from 1982 to 1986 and starred David Hasselhoff and his self-aware, chatty car, KITT. Intelligent cars, as Machinima CEO Chad Gutstein points out, aren’t as novel as they used to be. “Knight Rider is an iconic franchise whose concepts of AI and autonomous vehicles were science fiction in the 1980s and are now science fact,” he said in a statement.

Indeed, self-driving cars are already a thing of the present, if not a pricey one. They’re not quite ready to be quippy partners yet, but they can still find you parking.

Source: The Verge

Why?!?

Yeah, been there done that, though who knows?  The fact it's a web series might change things up enough.

2nd reboot attempt. Meh.  The 1st reboot was a big stinker.  Just not the same without the Hoff or William Daniels (KITT).

Just now, ir0nw0lf said:

2nd reboot attempt. Meh.  The 1st reboot was a big stinker.  Just not the same without the Hoff or William Daniels (KITT).

Third, actually. There was Knight Rider 2000 in the 90s, and then one a decade ago with Michael Knight's son as the lead character. The latter actually didn't seem too bad from the episode or two I watched.

I don't see this going anywhere.

*facepalm* Why? They'll never be as successful as the '80's sitcom, for one, and as stated, without the Hoff or Daniels, it's gonna be terrible. I mean, FFS, the last one they tried, they replaced the Trans-Am with a freakin' FORD MUSTANG?!? Obvious advertising plug was WAY obvious. Don't get me wrong, I'd give it a try, but it doesn't hold a candle in the wind already, much less, with whatever mess they come up with. NOW, if they actually dug out K.I.T.T., and improved THAT, it MIGHT be worth watching, but meh, I have serious doubts. (I was a die-hard fan in the '80's)

If Justin Lin has the right car, cast, plot, technologies, then the show may be successful. Otherwise he may have the wrong car, wrong cast, or whatever it might be. That would suck.

Just wait and see how the show is when it comes out.

Who cares if the movies or shows are rebooted but all you do is make sure they do things right in the movies or shows...  If the rating is low, they will cancel the show. If it is high, then they will keep going until they comes up with final season.

They reboot the movies and shows all the time for 30 years or so.

11 hours ago, DConnell said:

Third, actually. There was Knight Rider 2000 in the 90s, and then one a decade ago with Michael Knight's son as the lead character. The latter actually didn't seem too bad from the episode or two I watched.

I don't see this going anywhere.

If you're thinking about the same Knight Rider 2000 I'm thinking about (with the red firebird) then it was a tv movie, not a series.  It acted as more of a true ending to knight rider because the final episode of the original tv series wasn't much of an ending from what I remember, due to the nature of the show being episodic itself.   The tv movie was a nice fair well to the Michel Knight character while also introducing a new car etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:16 AM, Zagadka said:

Didn't they try this and fail miserably a few years ago?

And who was running the show? Gary Scott Thompson from Fast & Furious. They need someone who can spin a good plot not someone going for "cool factor" and stunts.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:32 AM, ir0nw0lf said:

Yeah, Knight Rider 2000 was a movie, shouldn't be considered a re-boot.

It was serving as the pilot for a proposed TV series. Same setup as the 2008 series.