Server 2008 Shared folder issue

I had to do a reinstall of Server 2008 a couple days ago. I had shared folders that users used for files that I need to set up again. One of the folders is called Shared Company Files. When I went into properties, Share is greyed out. I opened properties of another folder and it is not greyed out. Why is it greyed out in that one folder and how do I fix it so I can share it (with read/write privileges)?

screen.jpg

Go to advanced sharing. You may not have rights needed, may have to reset owner and permissions. I share at the actual drive not  through a unc path. 

Unc would be permissions. 

Well, how could I not have the rights? I am using the administrator account on the server plus the other folder lets me click on share. Do I need to somehow change permissions on it? I was able to share the folder by just browsing to the network location on my workstations but I can only read, not write.

1 hour ago, patseguin said:

Well, how could I not have the rights? I am using the administrator account on the server plus the other folder lets me click on share. Do I need to somehow change permissions on it? I was able to share the folder by just browsing to the network location on my workstations but I can only read, not write.

That is a great question to ask microsoft.  I didn't have rights to run my sql server after I cloned it and put it into a sandbox environment that has nothing in it other than itself and the domain controller.   I have to assign specific rights to the folder to allow access to the "sqlserver" nt service, when the original server did not need this to start the service.  You figure that one out for me and I will figure your issue out for you as to why you don't' have rights when you are logged in as administrator after your original system was fubar'd.  What I am basically saying is, permissions get messed up when not on the original server when everything worked as it should and sometimes you have to find and create workarounds to get it to function again.  Why you wouldn't be able to share a folder would be because you don't have permissions to do so, create your work around based on that knowledge.

OK. Previously the DC was named PIOPDC1 and after my new installation I made it CWP0. I guess maybe the folder had permissions attached to PIOPDC1?