Mall of America hires its first black Santa

Dozens of Santas cycle through Twin Cities shopping centers each year, spreading joy to children who entrust them with their holiday wish lists. What has been missing from that experience, some parents say, was a Kriss Kringle who represented a wider swath of believers.

This week, for the first time in the Mall of America’s 24-year history, a black Santa will greet families for annual Christmas photos.

“This is a long time coming,” said Landon Luther, co-owner of the Santa Experience, which has run the intimate photo studio at the mall for 10 years. “We want Santa to be for everyone, period.”

The mall offers a free, wait-in-line-with-the-masses Santa, as well as the book-an-appointment Santa Experience, which this year added a second location at the Bloomington megamall. The appointments require purchase of a photo package.

Luther started a national search last spring for a diverse St. Nicholas that kids of color would be able to relate to. Santa Sid, a 20-year veteran at MOA, finally found one while at a Santa convention in Branson, Mo., where nearly 1,000 impersonators convened for a “Kringle family reunion” in July.

“Kids only see one image of Santa,” said Herbert, director of Project SPIRIT. “Even though he’s a fictional character, he could be any color, any race, any gender. This is an image of him too.”

more

santaB.jpg

I always laugh at how so many worry about race so much.

This made me laugh even more - (quote) "“We want Santa to be for everyone, period.” (endquote)

Are they making the claim that a white santa doesn't have that ability? Why not? 

im just upset his beard is REAL :p couldnt give a monkeys ball**g what colour he is. Hes got a kind laughing face in the pic so it works for me :) 

Santas a fictional character (sorry any kids reading this) and Santa wont ever be for "everyone" what about races and religions other than Christianity who do not have a "santa" 

• Like 2

The historical figure behind Santa is St. Nicolas. I don't think he was black.

Thus this is historical negationism.

3 minutes ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

He also didn't wear red, ride a flying sleigh pulled by reindeer and more than likely wouldn't have been sliding down chimneys to deliver presents. I think we'll be ok with a black Santa. ;)

11 minutes ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

Doesn't seem to matter when it comes to depicting Jesus. St Nicholas also didn't look like what we see Santa as now so it makes little difference.

30 minutes ago, HellboundIRL said:

Doesn't seem to matter when it comes to depicting Jesus. St Nicholas also didn't look like what we see Santa as now so it makes little difference.

Slippery slope. Allow a little nudge and in time you'd have black founding fathers.

3 hours ago, Mando said:

im just upset his beard is REAL :p couldnt give a monkeys ball**g what colour he is. Hes got a kind laughing face in the pic so it works for me :) 

Santas a fictional character (sorry any kids reading this) and Santa wont ever be for "everyone" what about races and religions other than Christianity who do not have a "santa" 

it's Christmas time cheer up, 357mrs2_th.jpg don't over stress what others think or believe 

45 minutes ago, Cnónna said:

it's Christmas time cheer up, 357mrs2_th.jpg don't over stress what others think or believe 

i am cheery :) I was meaning im fine with him being any race or colour, it makes no difference to me :) 

1 hour ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

no he was from the land mass now known as Turkey, so probably of Moor descent.

And last time I checked the moors and Turkish descendants were not white, so technically darker skinned than "white" sorry to burst your white bubble buddy ;) your white santa in a red suit comes from Coca Cola as a lame festive advertising gimmick.

Saint Nicholas of Myra was a 4th century bishop.

http://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/bishop-of-myra/

Edited by Mando
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mando said:

i am cheery :) I was meaning im fine with him being any race or colour, it makes no difference to me :) 

for some reason this thread reminded me of the lethal weapon 2 bit in the south african embassy :D

20 minutes ago, Mando said:

no he was from the land mass now known as Turkey, so probably of Moor descent.

And last time I checked the moors and Turkish descendants were not white, so technically darker skinned than "white" sorry to burst your white bubble buddy ;) your white santa in a red suit comes from Coca Cola as a lame festive advertising gimmick.

Saint Nicholas of Myra was a 4th century bishop.

http://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/bishop-of-myra/

You are incorrect: during this period the Roman Empire ruled what is modern day Turkey so most of the people there were mixed, some white, some darker.  Coca Cola my arse!

I'm perfectly fine with this being the case, but it smells of affirmative action style thinking. The statement isn't "We hired him because he looks like Santa regardless of his skin color." or "He could do the job, so he got the job." it's "We want to be progressive and inclusive." A publicity stunt, a marketing piece. I'd hate to be hired to be a marketing piece or anyone's token [insert demographic requirement here].

2 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I'm perfectly fine with this being the case, but it smells of affirmative action style thinking. The statement isn't "We hired him because he looks like Santa regardless of his skin color." or "He could do the job, so he got the job." it's "We want to be progressive and inclusive." A publicity stunt, a marketing piece. I'd hate to be hired to be a marketing piece or anyone's token [insert demographic requirement here].

Completely agreed.  This is another prime example of the media being a big reason why racism and segregation is still a problem today.  The media forces these unnecessary social issues into our faces.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

The historical St. Nicholas was from Patara, today coastal Turkey, and an ethnic Greek. Being the Bishop of Myra he most certainly wore red vestments.

1 hour ago, Emn1ty said:

Exactly. Just hire a black Santa and no one would care, really. Don't try to make it some kind of statement.

bah humbug. Santa Claus was probably a bit darker than white and Jesus was probably a bit darker than white too. Who really cares? People who want to argue either side of race that's who. But one thing is for sure, Jim West was white and never should have been played, terribly so, by Wil Smith. One of the worst movies ever made. Jim West is white, and Shaft is black. Period.

Jim-West-Artemus-Gordon-wild-wild-west-25816322-304-380.jpg

shaft.png

It doesnt matter that much.

If christians want to get upset - they need to read some history books.

The jesus myth was depicted from older belief systems.  Born of a virgin, on Dec 25, visited by 3 men/kings, etc..   all taken from older stories & adopted/adapted for a newer version.

Besides - he looks happy, the kid looks happy, thats all that matters.  

12 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Precisely. Unfortunately, even if their original intentions were good, these kind of articles and headlines are completely unnecessary imho.

Who is their target audience? Who have they written this for? Who cares? 

- BLM and KKK symphathizers and other scum who thrive on racial hatred.

It's like these media managers are purposefully trying to raise the temperature.

And ironically, since they tend to cling to the matters that were already settled back in the 1960's, they are not being progressive, but the opposite of it. To be progressive is to move on from the things that shouldn't matter any more.

p.s. I visited the mall almost exactly ten years ago :D It's not a small one.

• Like 2