Donald Trump is Time's Person of the Year

Surprised no one's made the comparison with Time's 1938 / 1939 person of the year yet. 

That aside, why the hell has he done to deserve this? At least a vague explanation would've been nice. 

7 hours ago, Frank B. said:

Are you kidding me?!?

7 hours ago, Sszecret said:

Surprised no one's made the comparison with Time's 1938 / 1939 person of the year yet. 

That aside, why the hell has he done to deserve this? At least a vague explanation would've been nice. 

7 hours ago, John. said:

When they say person of the year, is it in any defined terms? Most controversial? Most likely to trigger a war? 

Really? None of you can figure it out? He's the most talked about person of this year and will probably remain the most talked about for the next 4 or more. Time has found the biggest "click bait title" so far, people who hate Trump will want to buy the magazine to find out how such a <fill in the blank> got picked, people who love Trump will just HAVE to buy the magazine, and Trump himself will probably buy a million copies to send to everyone who doubted him. Also see reason six, seven and eight they will blow your mind... so, does it make a little more sense now?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Really? None of you can figure it out? He's the most talked about person of this year and will probably remain the most talked about for the next 4 or more. This was probably their easiest pick ever, everybody with a "Poll" predicted a Clinton landslide and she got beaten. Time has found the biggest "click bait title" so far, people who hate Trump will want to buy the magazine to find out how such a <fill in the blank> got picked, people who love Trump will just HAVE to buy the magazine, and Trump himself will probably buy a million copies to send to everyone who doubted him. Also see reason six, seven and eight they will blow your mind... so, does it make a little more sense now?

Before you go off on one, I was asking why he is the person of the year. You can't call someone person of the year without explaining why you chose him.

EDIT: I do agree that it's most likely just to increase traffic. 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Really? None of you can figure it out? He's the most talked about person of this year and will probably remain the most talked about for the next 4 or more. This was probably their easiest pick ever, everybody with a "Poll" predicted a Clinton landslide and she got beaten. Time has found the biggest "click bait title" so far, people who hate Trump will want to buy the magazine to find out how such a <fill in the blank> got picked, people who love Trump will just HAVE to buy the magazine, and Trump himself will probably buy a million copies to send to everyone who doubted him. Also see reason six, seven and eight they will blow your mind... so, does it make a little more sense now?

As John above me said, you can't just name someone person of the year without at least some kind of reasoning behind it. I could go ahead and name a user on Neowin the worst person I've ever interacted with, without giving so much as a hint of a reason. It would be worth about as much as Time's pick.

1 minute ago, John. said:

Before you go off on one, I was asking why he is the person of the year. You can't call someone person of the year without explaining why you chose him.

Apparently (at least according to the wiki entry) "Time features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse...has done the most to influence the events of the year". 

7 hours ago, John. said:

EDIT: I do agree that it's most likely just to increase traffic. 

I didn't go off on you, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. I was just surprised at how surprised everyone seemed.

I understand how this works - it's a relevance comment, not popularity or such.  He is relevant to many stories this year, quite an uproar created as he made a mockery of the entire American political system (support him or not - he turned it into more of a circus than ever).

Fair play, I can see why he is there.

1 minute ago, Sszecret said:

As John above me said, you can't just name someone person of the year without at least some kind of reasoning behind it. I could go ahead and name a user on Neowin the worst person I've ever interacted with, without giving so much as a hint of a reason. It would be worth about as much as Time's pick.

Apparently (at least according to the wiki entry) "Time features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse...has done the most to influence the events of the year". 

Hard to give a reason in 140 characters or less. I'm sure they expect people to buy the magazine to find out why.

7 hours ago, Sszecret said:

Well, they will publish a magazine that explains the details shortly... and as I posted above I was just so surprised at how everyone seemed so surprised at their pick.

5 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

I'm sure they expect people to buy the magazine to find out why

Of course any front-page is basically an advert to buy the magazine, whether it's the promise of useful content or bait.  Magazine will be published shortly.  While I identify as "liberal" - I support this cover and suggest it is more relevant than certain "liberal agenda" covers such as "Ebola Fighters - 2014", "The Protester - 2011" or "The Good Samaritans - 2005".

As I say, I don't care much for Trump, but I recognise the media interest he has had in 2016 and see it being less of a "flash in the pan" than previous entries.

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Well, they will publish a magazine that explains the details shortly... and as I posted above I was just so surprised at how everyone seemed so surprised at their pick.

Agreed. The news has been Trump 24/7 for months and now this is a surprise?

Only if you are an American-based liberal, DocM.  Still, it's not the first time that the selectee has been controversial (even when a Pope has been selected - twice - wasn't it controversial?).

On 12/7/2016 at 3:48 PM, Sszecret said:

At least a vague explanation would've been nice. 

Actually, they've written a whole frigging dissertation about it.

p.s. Anyone is free to make their own list of their most favourite persons of the year. It's the same concept with the top 100 song charts.

On 12/7/2016 at 7:48 AM, Sszecret said:

One more thing Trump has in common with Hitler. :laugh:

But I'm sure Donald will do some good for the USA.