Cloning boot disc from USB boot - UEFI

Gents - 

Hope someone can help.  I dont spend much time on PC stuff anymore, so when asked to help someone - I have to clumsily stumble around UEFI issues.

Here is my situation:
My work laptop has a 500GB SSD (my personal upgrade as it came with a spinning HDD).  I am giving the 500GB to my brother, and have a 250GB SSD I am trying to clone it to.

The laptop uses UEFI & Secure Boot to load up Windows.
I am booting to Acronis 2017 True Image USB to do the cloning. (the source 500GB is still in the laptop, and target 250GB SSD is in a USB disc caddy.)

When I select the target in Acronis True Image, I get a warning that the destination will not boot from BIOS after cloning.  I know this is due to the security of UEFI.

I have disabled Secure Boot to do the cloning, and after the clone completes, I cannot boot into Windows with the new 250GB disc in the laptop.
I get the Win10 BSOD frown screen & it cites BAD_CONFIG.

Do I need to simply find a setting in UEFI to allow it to accept the new boot device, or is this a result of encryption on my laptop?

Thank You.

I can have Help Desk up @ work do this, but I dont have time tomorrow, and wanted to give this to my brother over the weekend.  Also, I am not sure how Help Desk will feel about cloning a Dell-supplied laptop with non-approved SSD to another non-approved SSD ... :/

Thanks 

I'm not that familiar with UEFI, but I don't think that's transferable... Don't quote me. How did you get the 500GB SSD on there? Did you just do a fresh install?

Try this:

• Start the cloning from the a bootable USB media, not from within Windows.
  • Put the 500GB drive into the caddy and the new SSD into the laptop and clone that way.
  • Make sure the old drive is not attached when you try to reboot.

Alternatives.

• Making a complete disk image and restoring to the new drive. (requires 3rd drive)
  • Doing a fresh install and just copying the data over.

24 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I'm not that familiar with UEFI, but I don't think that's transferable... Don't quote me. How did you get the 500GB SSD on there? Did you just do a fresh install?

Sorry - I should have mentioned that - a good question.

Originally, the laptop had Win7 on it.  But, 2 weeks ago, I brought it up to the Help Desk, and they told me NTT (they bought Dell Services) is "suggesting" everyone move over to Win10.  It was cloned over to an SSD back when it had Win7.

12 minutes ago, Shiranui said:

Try this:

• Start the cloning from the a bootable USB media, not from within Windows.
  • Put the 500GB drive into the caddy and the new SSD into the laptop and clone that way.
  • Make sure the old drive is not attached when you try to reboot.

Alternatives.

• Making a complete disk image and restoring to the new drive. (requires 3rd drive)
  • Doing a fresh install and just copying the data over.

This was from an Acronis True Image 2017 USB boot I made.  It was not done from within Windows.
I tried the 250GB in the laptop, then cloned from the 500GB in the caddy - same result.  
I unplug everything when I try to boot to make sure I am not getting boot devices mixed up.

I havent tried doing it from a 3rd drive with a complete system backup - thats worth a try.

I cant do a clean install and move the data over due to all of the security and domain authorizations since this is a work laptop, and I work from home.
(I would have to do the first login from the office, on the internal network in order to enable the domain settings - and I cant do that as I have to work in the morning.)  Besides, with all of the security on the laptop, I am not even sure my files wouldn't be completely corrupted due to encryption.
I am pretty sure this doesnt come into play when cloning as it does the copying @ the bit level, and it just moves the encryption over... I think.

When I try to boot from the cloned 250GB, it recognizes Windows, but never gets past the spinning dots.

From what I can tell, it has to do with UEFI, SecureBoot and authorized disk images (part of SecureBoot)

In the UEFI settings, there is an option to add/remove boot UEFI devices, but I dont want to change too much, then be screwed in the morning when its time for me to log in and start working.

But I appreciate the replies.