Perth Boy Sent Home From School for Having a Boy’s Haircut

According to his mother Sandra Fedele, Year 10 student Jake had gone to class on Monday to collect his exam results as required, but was promptly sent home because his hair had allegedly been cut too short.

Teachers at Corpus Christi College in Perth’s southern suburbs had decided the trimmed sides of the Jake’s hair could “offend” a fellow student or teacher, and that it was against school policy, but Sandra hit back.

“This morning he went to school on his last day to get his exam results, he’s Year 10, he got told, he text me and said ‘Mum, I’ve been told I have to go home, I’m not allowed to be at school, my hair’s too short’,” the concerned mother told 6PR host Gary Ashead.

Sandra explained the family had attended a wedding at the weekend, and so her son had his hair freshly clipped.

“He got it cut short on the sides and he’s got it just a little bit long on top. It’s not even two centimeters long on top, not like it’s a long fringe down to his nose or anything like that,” she said.

“He’s just got a boy’s haircut, literally a boy’s haircut and he’s got a side part.”

The woman claimed teachers told her it was against school policy for students to have hair shorter than a standard number two blade cut, and so she went to a barber for proof her son’s hairdo was within the rules.

After returning with a note from the barber that said her son had a number two cut, “but it could look shorter because he has fine hair”, it was agreed the boy could go back into class but “he has to wear a hat on his head all day long”.

Sandra said the justification for requirement of a hat was that the short haircut “may offend”.

“How can that offend anyone? He’s got to wear a hat now,” she said.

“I said ‘you’re discriminating against my child’. It’s just wrong.”

In an interview with Seven News, Jake himself said he thought the school’s actions were “stupid”.

“I thought it was silly. I don’t know why they stopped me for my hair, told me I had to go home. I think it was stupid,” he said.

Since Sandra’s on-air rant, Facebook users have been sharing posts about the interview, overwhelmingly in support of the student and his disgruntled mother.

Comments criticizing the school had been posted to the school’s Facebook page, but appear to have been removed.

News.com.au has contacted Corpus Christi College for comment.

Source

No comment yet from the school, likely some additional info missing from this story.

EDIT: After reading the story and looking at other sources, no where did anyone says it was because "having a boys haircut". It was because it was too short.

http://conservativetribune.com/school-note-boys-wear-hat/

Only the mom said that statement. 

"It is against school policy for students to have hair shorter than a standard number two blade cut."

Non-story here, just people looking to get attention.

This is like getting  pulled over while doing 120mph down the interstate and saying "I will pulled over for driving my car", deflect the actual issue.

Edited by xendrome

6 minutes ago, xendrome said:

No comment yet from the school, likely some additional info missing from this story.

EDIT: After reading the story and looking at other sources, no where did anyone says it was because "having a boys haircut". It was because it was too short.

http://conservativetribune.com/school-note-boys-wear-hat/

Only the mom said that statement. 

"It is against school policy for students to have hair shorter than a standard number two blade cut."

Non-story here, just people looking to get attention.

Nobody said the school's reason was that it is a boy's haircut. That was just the mother making the point that he had a fairly standard boy's haircut and not one that should have resulted in being sent home. Definitely no one that should have any chance of offending anyone. Someone else's hairstyle is among the stupidest reasons I have ever heard of to be offended anyway, but even using such inane offence criteria as that, it was a very innocuous cut.

1 hour ago, troysavary said:

Nobody said the school's reason was that it is a boy's haircut. That was just the mother making the point that he had a fairly standard boy's haircut and not one that should have resulted in being sent home. Definitely no one that should have any chance of offending anyone. Someone else's hairstyle is among the stupidest reasons I have ever heard of to be offended anyway, but even using such inane offence criteria as that, it was a very innocuous cut.

The title and source story both portray that is the reason why.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xendrome said:

The title and source story both portray that is the reason why.

The headline was merely quoting the mother's description of the haircut. No where did it state the school's actual reason was him looking like a boy. That he was sent home for the haircut cannot be denied. The stated reason by the teacher was that it was offensive. No one can tell me exactly why a rather standard haircut is offensive.

"offend" being in quotes like that - what's the implication here?  Was it actually said?  There's so much missing from this story that it's a non-story beyond "Boy sent home from school, has short hair"

49 minutes ago, troysavary said:

The headline was merely quoting the mother's description of the haircut. No where did it state the school's actual reason was him looking like a boy. That he was sent home for the haircut cannot be denied. The stated reason by the teacher was that it was offensive. No one can tell me exactly why a rather standard haircut is offensive.

Actually, that wasn't the reason why "It is against school policy for students to have hair shorter than a standard number two blade cut."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Actually, that wasn't the reason why "It is against school policy for students to have hair shorter than a standard number two blade cut."

That was the official line, which proved to be false. But the teacher said it was offensive, without giving any reason why it would be offensive.

If he is in College, why did the Mother get involved? He has to learn to fight his own battles......not cling to Mom's skirt the rest of his life. Today's generation is way too coddled.

6 minutes ago, Dale Burke said:

If he is in College, why did the Mother get involved? He has to learn to fight his own battles......not cling to Mom's skirt the rest of his life. Today's generation is way too coddled.

Year 10 student, read the article. Not every school with "college" in the name is a university.

17 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

So, does this school ban children with conditions that cause them to be bald, such as having cancer treatment or suffering from alopecia? 

:D They would just make them wear hats or bandanas of sorts. Similar thing happened when a boy had to get stiches and had go bold. They made him wear a non offending bandana type thing since a hat would have been overkill.

Can someone tell me what is the reason behind this ?  Does the area have an issue with skinheads ?  Is there a fad or gang issue where shaved heads lead to possible gang affiliation or something ?

Thinking that they way a person looks is "distracting" can be justified, but having hair too short ?  I cant see what the issue might be here.

Outside of Dallas, a city called Richardson has had numerous issues where schools have sent kids home for silly dress code violations - I didnt think Australia had problems with religion trying to make laws like it does here in the US.

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

Outside of Dallas, a city called Richardson has had numerous issues where schools have sent kids home for silly dress code violations - I didnt think Australia had problems with religion trying to make laws like it does here in the US.

Whatever happens in the US will at some point make it to Australia. A saying that I been told: "Every time the US sneezes the rest of the world gets a cold"

• Like 2

Did he have the words "F You" shaved into the side or something.. WTF is this world coming to that a haircut or lack of one or whatever you want to do with your hair could be offensive to someone??  Distracting ok - if school policy is not to have hair with funky colors like blue and purple or something spiked up in a Mohawk that could be one thing as "distracting"

8f26fd40327a6b8d53dc95f602aa8b0a.jpg

That would be one thing..  But offensive?? Give me a freaking break.. Someone needs to look up the word offensive.. Sorry but someone choice of hair style could not be offensive as described..  Did it have a swastika shaved into the sides or something?

imagehair.jpg

And goes to a jewish school?  Ok then maybe that could be offensive.. 

• Like 2

In the US this wouldnt happen. IN the military of this country they like your hair short. A school would never kick you out for that. Heck we have rotc in our schools who would love if you actually went by military rules. Also this kid got an excuse t owear a hat. in my high school baseball caps were not allowed to be worn in school. this kid was given an excuse to wear one.

12 hours ago, majortom1981 said:

In the US this wouldnt happen. IN the military of this country they like your hair short. A school would never kick you out for that. Heck we have rotc in our schools who would love if you actually went by military rules. Also this kid got an excuse t owear a hat. in my high school baseball caps were not allowed to be worn in school. this kid was given an excuse to wear one.

I agree that a shaved head, or very short hair is quite common - heck my hair is done with a #2 razor every 10 or so days - I just like short hair - low maintenance.  But as stupid as people are in the US - I wouldnt be shocked if this had already happened.

Its why I asked in the beginning of this thread :  "Florida or Texas ?"