Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2017 Edition)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite?

• Ubuntu (whatever flavour)
    • Mint
    • Debian
    • Arch
    • Elementary OS
    • Fedora
    • CentOS
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • OpenSUSE
    • Red Hat Enterprise
    • I roll my own
    • Other (Please specify)

I'm the first one! yay! I say Mint, but I have messed with Debian in past, but right now... I don't want to mess with all that crap... Everything, just... works...

I just got back to dual booting Win 8.1 and Ubuntu 16.04.1, Ubuntu was my first real good experience with Linux, so it gets installed and tested first. So, it's Ubuntu as of today, but I will be testing others - Voyager and MX-16 are the next two, and well see what stays in a few weeks.

FreeBSD

No SystemD and superior Hyper-V support built in thanks to MS from Azure. FreeBSD the other free Unix has over Linux jails, Freenas, pfsense, dtrace, ports, superior documentation with man pages and handbook, and other things which are cool for real server nerds.

I have a pfsense FreeBSD based VM for a virtual router in my lab. You can order real equipment too based on Intel atoms or xeons that come with PFsense for a medium sized office without paying the Cisco tax.

Unfortunately, it is more server oriented so it means using ports and compiling and using pkg_add to configure a gui. There is True OS which is a desktop based version of FreeBSd but I found it buggy and not up to standards of the FreeBSd project.

I'm not a heavy Linux user, but I use Mint a lot on older devices and things I'm working on the hardware of but don't have the Win license.

I used to lean toward Centos for a long time as I was using it in my old Web Hosting business, so I cut my teeth there.

For the last couple of years though, I was pushed into the world of Ubuntu server and since then, I have grown to love it and use it primarily on my my Desktop and a variant on my Raspberry Pi .  

I still  use Centos 7 though for my personal VPS I run my blog on though.

On 1/2/2017 at 5:37 PM, Boo Berry said:

Arch.

i second that. in february my arch install will be 1 year old and still running trouble free. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I tested almost all Ubuntu distros and I saw the best results starting from 12.04. I upgraded 14.04 to 16.04  LTS [Xerus Xenial]. I noticed its stability.

Ubuntu distros do not need an introduction. 

Ubuntu  is one of the most popular Linux-based OS  and can boast dozens of projects. The main Ubuntu LTS feature consists in the release of a new version every four months during two years. During this period,  LTS version  receives updates and support for five years. Hence Ubuntu 16.04 will be  supported until 2021. 

Thus this is an important advantage, since some users can build a server and will  be able to use it for the duration of the support. 

I believe this system can be the choice for the next two years since has a superior stability compared to "normal" versions.  

So, I recommend it to new users who do not want to incur problems.

This is may humble opinion.:)

Bye,

C6H6

Edited by Benzene_C6H6_
Correction.

On 1/1/2017 at 3:15 AM, Mindovermaster said:

I'm the first one! yay! I say Mint, but I have messed with Debian in past, but right now... I don't want to mess with all that crap... Everything, just... works...

yup have to agree with that :) 

• Like 2

99% of my *Nix installs are either Arch or BSD, almost always in a server role. I don't dabble much with the desktops, but I've been having good results with KDE Neon. (Buntu based, stable base with a fairly bleeding edge desktop) If my desktop OS of choice were to suddenly fly off into the sun, this would probably be my replacement. I'm actually not unhappy with Unity either; the launcher still kind of blows but the rest of it is actually rather polished.

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment i have been spending a lot of time in Ubuntu or Debian all though i have messed around with Fedora Core in the past,  I do enjoy the desktop on Ubuntu but i spend a lot of time on servers more.

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2017 at 7:32 AM, Danielx64 said:

I say centos but then I only use it for server builds :)

centos is good deal for desktops too, however i prefer oracle & suse: oracle is d@mnЪ stable beast, but has provided some troubles to install pkgs ==>> many things must be built from sources, so it takes awhile + gobbles space for dev pkgs. debian is a such disaster w/ its lovely dpkg/apt ==>> if you need to run huge zoo of apps, dependency solver out the messes up system completely.