I miss Windows 8/8.1 Start "Tattoos"...

2 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

I miss the Windows 8/8.1 Start "Tattoos". I'd really love to see them come back to Windows 10 Start...

for years you were saying the full screen start menu was superior and the way of the future. surprised you use the desktop. What made you change back?

1 minute ago, Rippleman said:

for years you were saying the full screen start menu was superior and the way of the future. surprised you use the desktop. What made you change back?

I haven't. I still use the full screen Start on Windows 10. Just switched off briefly in order to create the mockup.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, warwagon said:

and you say Glass looks out of place.

The old Windows 7 look does, yes. This isn't glass.

• 6 months later...
On 1/15/2017 at 8:08 PM, Dot Matrix said:

I haven't. I still use the full screen Start on Windows 10. Just switched off briefly in order to create the mockup.

Ditto. If I'm looking for a program, visible desktop is wasted space. I want all of my screen used for program presentation!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Ditto. If I'm looking for a program, visible desktop is wasted space. I want all of my screen used for program presentation!

"Looking for"?    Start -> Type a few letters?

15 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

"Looking for"?    Start -> Type a few letters?

If DConnell is like me, I like to pin apps to the full-screen start screen so the more space I have available to pin things too the better.

I do use the Looking for stuff a lot too though.

Kp3vI1S.png

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Skiver said:

If DConnell is like me, I like to pin apps to the full-screen start screen so the more space I have available to pin things too the better.

Kp3vI1S.png

Oh, I use Search a lot for launching stuff, too. Mostly for Settings. Never understood the idea that there should be "One Right Way" to do something. If I prefer to have a nice full-screen Start over the smaller one others prefer, why do some people have a problem?

50 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Kp3vI1S.png

i'm not really clear on this, this just looks like grey square icons on a desktop screen.   what's the difference?

1 minute ago, Buttus said:

i'm not really clear on this, this just looks like grey square icons on a desktop screen.   what's the difference?

Well, this is how I display my start menu rather than the typical menu that only opens over a small portion. For me, this way of using the start menu works.

Random Image from google...

Windows10-StartMenu.jpg

27 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Oh, I use Search a lot for launching stuff, too. Mostly for Settings. Never understood the idea that there should be "One Right Way" to do something. If I prefer to have a nice full-screen Start over the smaller one others prefer, why do some people have a problem?

I never once suggested that one way was the "right way" but seeing as you were "looking for" something, I suggested a way that you could find it.

5 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

I never once suggested that one way was the "right way" but seeing as you were "looking for" something, I suggested a way that you could find it.

I just find if I'm doing a visual scan for a program, the full-screen presentation is more effective (for me) than the little box.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DConnell said:

I just find if I'm doing a visual scan for a program, the full-screen presentation is more effective (for me) than the little box.

Oh totally, the full screen layout if you use icons/squares/tiles/doo-dahs shows you more.  But you also still use the typing method to help find alongside that :)

The Windows 8 tattoos were more of a wallpaper for the Start screen than anything else. I never liked any of them. If users can set their own then I'm fine with it,  but not a fixed set of options.

OTOH, I would like more customization options for the Start Menu/Screen. I don't use the Start screen (Loved the 8.1 one) now because of too much wasted space. On 8.1, I set up a densely packed horizontal scrolling stream of tiles with wasted space only on the top and bottom and loved it. If I can recreate that on Windows 10 (I am ok with scrolling vertically), it would be great.

i'm with the crowd that didn't want the start button, can't even remember when I last clicked the start button, everything I have is on shortcuts in the desktop, navbar. 

As such, don't miss tattoos and think they saturate the view, but then again, im a mnmlst :p

10 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

i'm with the crowd that didn't want the start button, can't even remember when I last clicked the start button, everything I have is on shortcuts in the desktop, navbar. 

As such, don't miss tattoos and think they saturate the view, but then again, im a mnmlst :p

IMO the Start Button is superfluous - 90% of the time my left hand is by the winkey, so it's second nature to trigger Start that way, and then use keyboard/mouse for whatever else I need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

Kp3vI1S.png

so much wasted space to display tiny desktop icons

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DConnell said:

Yeah. I haven't used desktop shortcuts in ages. By default anymore, I switch desktop shortcuts off, everything is on my taskbar, or located on my Start Screen.

27 minutes ago, nekrosoft13 said:

so much wasted space to display tiny desktop icons

If you want to see wasted space checkout the default windows 10 start screen on 3440x1440

• Like 2

Tattoos? Well, for what it's worth, Office 365 has this feature, but I don't think it's called that. I didn't know what it was, and it took me a minute to notice what was happening. It adds a visual flair to the upper right corner by the min/max/close buttons. I have the Calligraphy one on. This is just Outlook though. I haven't actually opened Word or Excel since I added it, I don't think... I should check them out.

Surprised Windows 8 had this feature, and Office 365 has it now, and Windows 10 does not. I mean, I'm quite certain Windows 10 does not have this feature... and now I want it. I hated Windows 8's start screen. I hated Windows 10's start menu for the longest time, but now I've tamed it and made it good. Live tiles are crap, they've never been good for me. Either they don't work or they don't update, and I don't spend enough time on the start menu for them to be useful to me. Microsoft needs to get them out onto the desktop like the widgets Windows XP/Vista had. Only those were a buggy mess. And then there's Rainmeter; why Microsoft can't pull off something that elegant is beyond me. Maybe one day...

So here's my Start menu [Imgur link]...what I've gone and done here is, I've gone down the list of programs, accessories, and other things that are programs but we call them other things because reasons unknown, and I've pinned them to the start menu. Then I made them all small and categorised them. Pretty straightforward, but it's very effective. I've tried to put the Photos live tile in the lower right, kind of on its own, but it won't go live, it just sits there with the icon. Wouldn't mind having a pattern over there. It's fine how it is, but I'll go and vote on the thing, because that would be a great feature to have. (Or maybe I won't because you have to be on Windows 10. Fine, Microsoft, I'll save the link to Google Keep and try to remember to open it on Windows 10. Which is to say I will remember to open it on Windows 10, since you've made me take additional steps.)

Did this on my laptop too, though I don't have as many programs. And whenever they get Windows 10 at work, I'll do it there, too.