World Leaders Push Israel and Trump to Forge a 2-State Deal

PARIS — An effort by France to give impetus to the stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace process through an international conference always faced long odds. But with an incoming American president who has vowed to support Israel no matter what, the project seemed even more quixotic.

As senior representatives from 70 countries gathered in Paris on Sunday and endorsed anew a two-state solution to the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians, what they had to offer was mostly symbolic.

Still, that symbol was clear: Though peace efforts seemed doomed, the leaders, representing every European nation, were signaling that they still saw them as critical — and putting President-elect Donald J. Trump and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on notice that the process could be ignored only at their peril.

“The two-state solution, which the international community has agreed on for many years, appears threatened,” President François Hollande of France said as he opened the afternoon session. “It is physically threatened on the ground by the acceleration of settlements, it is politically threatened by the progressive weakening of the peace camp, it is morally threatened by the distrust that has accumulated between the parties, and that has certainly been exploited by extremists.”

France held the first session of the conference in June, after the United States and others effectively gave up. Talks had broken down, and Mr. Netanyahu’s government had drawn international anger with its continued settlement activity in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, a red line for the process set out years before by Secretary of State John Kerry and other leaders.

The idea was to prevent the peace process from disappearing entirely from the international agenda, which was dominated by Syria, Ukraine and Libya, among other hot spots.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/15/world/middleeast/missing-at-israel-palestinian-peace-conference-israelis-or-palestinians.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

If the Israeli's continue to ignore the UN, then it's time the UN took punitive action and started imposing trade sanctions on Israel. If the US interferes, then it too should be sanctioned.

Enough is enough with this baloney.

On 1/17/2017 at 7:57 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

If the Israeli's continue to ignore the UN, then it's time the UN took punitive action and started imposing trade sanctions on Israel. If the US interferes, then it too should be sanctioned.

Enough is enough with this baloney.

Floating - why the push NOW - and why a pro-Palestian push?

Could "oil" be the reason behind it - and especially since it is Europe doing the pushing?

Europe needs oil and natural gas - and the major sources of both are OPEC nations - now including Russia - which is behind the sanctions eight-ball itself.

Therefore, I can see the Russian reason to go along with the Arab OPEC states in this - all of which are publicly hostile toward Israel for various reasons (including Saudi Arabla)

I trust Hamas as far as I can throw the Temple on the Mount - basically, not at all.

A bad deal is a bad deal - and this one is awful.

48 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Floating - why the push NOW - and why a pro-Palestian push?

Could "oil" be the reason behind it - and especially since it is Europe doing the pushing?

Europe needs oil and natural gas - and the major sources of both are OPEC nations - now including Russia - which is behind the sanctions eight-ball itself.

Therefore, I can see the Russian reason to go along with the Arab OPEC states in this - all of which are publicly hostile toward Israel for various reasons (including Saudi Arabla)

I trust Hamas as far as I can throw the Temple on the Mount - basically, not at all.

A bad deal is a bad deal - and this one is awful.

Wait, a 2 state solution is pro Palestine? To me it seems like a pro everyone solution. Is it only pro Palestine because Israel won't get to keep building settlements on contested land?

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 5:52 PM, SierraSonic said:

Wait, a 2 state solution is pro Palestine? To me it seems like a pro everyone solution. Is it only pro Palestine because Israel won't get to keep building settlements on contested land?

Land-for-peace has, in fact, historically been a pro-Palestine solution, because it is has been the STATED position going back to Arafat.  And because Hamas (in particular) has been the group that is launching rockets from hospitals, schools, etc. (in violation of the GC and the accepted Rules of War), why should they be trusted?  I have nothing against a buffer zone - which means that NOBODY gets to build ANYTHING on the land in question - not Israel, but not the Palestinians, either. And therein is the REAL problem - neither side is willing to agree to that.