Laptop never shuts down.

Laptop - ASUS G75

Windows 10 64bit with latest update (NOT INSIDER PREVIEW)

problem-

This started happening since last 2-3 months. Whenever I click on Shutdown. The windows logg off and it does shut down but not fully. I could still see blank-black screen lit. And it stays like this forever. 

Now if I click on restart, it will take some time to do so. But eventually it shuts down laptop instead of Restarting. 

Things i have tried so far-

*Clean install.

*Unistalling/ update/ downgrade Intel drivers to default. 

*Turn off fast startup and shut down. 

* Ran several malware/ anti virus apps. 

*scan sfc command. 

*rolling back windows before clean installing. 

Note- I am using windows 10 since its initial release but I never ever had this problem. So it's not like if Windows 10 started all this. Also while performing clean install, my laptop did restart like it should but it never turned back on. So I had to manually turn it on. 

This may seem like an odd question, but has Windows 10 updated to a new build that you received through Windows Update since you last clean installed?

Try this 

Open CMD as admin

Then type powercfg -h off

This disables hibernation. Windows 10 is hibernation + Shutdown. Once hibernation is disabled then it's a true shut down. Lets see once hibernation is disabled if it shuts down properly.

Never mind I see you already tried disabling Fast boot ..

Sounds like a driver issue then.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 1:04 PM, satukoro said:

This may seem like an odd question, but has Windows 10 updated to a new build that you received through Windows Update since you last clean installed?

The previous install was already up to date. But when I went on to clean install. The problem still persisted. Even during installation, The setup could not restart my laptop and instead it shutdown. And then I manually had to power on. 

Okay to make things simple ; even when I enter bios settings during boot. And when I click save and restart my laptop shuts down instead. And I have to manually power it on. 

Try running msconfig and disable all non-microsoft services and disable everything in the startup tab.

Then try running "shutdown /r /t 00" to restart.

Once you do a clean boot with nothing unnecessary starting, try shutting down again to see if it's something starting up with your computer that's preventing a clean shut down.

If that stuff doesn't work, check out this page (and follow the steps): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70055/windows-wont-shut-down-heres-how-to-do-it-safely/

The first area you should start with is to check if your laptop's BIOS is up to date and you are using the drivers provided by ASUS for it (search for the support page for your laptop at ASUS).

The G75V is from 2012, so there could be some compatibility issues with it and Windows 10. 

For example, I have a (quite powerful) laptop from 2007 (Acer Ferrari) but even with all the latest BIOS, updates and drivers the stupid thing still blue screens half the time with Windows 10 installed lol - I need to roll it back at some point to Windows 7.

Anyway, you should start by seeing if your laptop has some firmware and driver updates specifically for Windows 10 x64.

• Like 2

After researching it on the internet for about 1 min .... go into the device manager and disable Intel Managment Engine Interface.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2017 at 9:50 AM, warwagon said:

After researching it on the internet for about 1 min .... go into the device manager and disable Intel Managment Engine Interface.

Tried it hundreds of times before posting here. Tried installing older version and resetting to default and also disabling. Things occurres even while windows installation 

On 1/23/2017 at 11:01 AM, Steven P. said:

The first area you should start with is to check if your laptop's BIOS is up to date and you are using the drivers provided by ASUS for it (search for the support page for your laptop at ASUS).

The G75V is from 2012, so there could be some compatibility issues with it and Windows 10. 

For example, I have a (quite powerful) laptop from 2007 (Acer Ferrari) but even with all the latest BIOS, updates and drivers the stupid thing still blue screens half the time with Windows 10 installed lol - I need to roll it back at some point to Windows 7.

Anyway, you should start by seeing if your laptop has some firmware and driver updates specifically for Windows 10 x64.

I guess everything is up to date. Checked bios updates - nothing new. Updated all drivers( already up to date )