USB speakers?

So I've about had it with my Logitech 2.1 speakers. They've been good for a long time, but the 3.5mm input is spotty and i have to kick the subwoofer under the desk to get the right channel to go through. Aside from that, I'm happy.

What I'd like to do is move on from 3.5mm... haven't seen any reliable sources on comparisons. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm obviously not an audiophile. 

Are you into speakers or headphone/hedsets?

I don't know much about  speakers.

But I love my Razer Kraken Chroma headset. It is USB. Good bass.

Chroma isn't available anymore, but here's a nice alternative: http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-kraken-71-v2

Like you, I'm not an audiophile either...

Speakers, definitely. 

I have a pair of Turtle Beach PX3s that, while falling apart, perform magnificently, for my needs.

Haven't seen an example of a desktop speaker from them ever, though I did never even think to check ;-)

4 hours ago, Zagadka said:

So I've about had it with my Logitech 2.1 speakers. They've been good for a long time, but the 3.5mm input is spotty and i have to kick the subwoofer under the desk to get the right channel to go through. Aside from that, I'm happy.

What I'd like to do is move on from 3.5mm... haven't seen any reliable sources on comparisons. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm obviously not an audiophile. 

I LOVE my Kanto Yu2

https://www.amazon.com/Kanto-YU2-Powered-Desktop-Speakers/dp/B00GMPDA9K

http://www.kantoliving.com/product/yu2/

Did not need the subwoofer either, then again, my raving days are over. the speakers are more then enough for me, since i dont want to boom shake shake shake the room anymore. 

but for stereo sound for movies and games, i enjoy them.  they cost more then logitech, but they are very nice sound. the have subwooofer output if you ever need one.

Spoiler

gtvez.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

the speakers are more then enough for me, since i dont want to boom shake shake shake the room anymore. 

thought that was saying "boom-shaka-laka-laka"

boom-shaka-laka.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-01-22 at 0:22 AM, Zagadka said:

What I'd like to do is move on from 3.5mm...

Why? You're adding cost and tremendously limiting your options by requiring the speaker to have its own DAC and connect via USB.

• Like 1

If your motherboard supports digital output, I would recommend that as a cheaper/better option. I have the Asus H87-Plus and although it supports digital, I had to get the part myself for the case which is now connected to my Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 and it's lovely! :) 

• Like 2

I have used USB speakers for the last few years (in my case the SoundScience QSB), and in short I have been very impressed with them.  I am a bit of an audiophile, and £ for £ they have a great sound (I paid less than £30 for them IIRC)

The only challenge I have faced is they are plugged into my monitor, which acts as a USB hub for various other things, and sometimes I don't get sound back if the monitor needs waking up, but that hasn't got anything to do with the speakers.

On 1/22/2017 at 8:22 AM, Zagadka said:

What's your budget?

Do you need portability?

In your price range this is what I'd probably get:

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-PB42X-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00NXAEPDC

Pretty much only glowing reviews (example) and a tiny price tag. It's not USB though. None of the better bookshelf speakers in that price range are AFAIK. As I alluded to earlier you'll be sacrificing sound performance for... well I'm not sure what exactly, unless your PC's DAC is that bad. And in that case I'd say just buy an external USB DAC and plug your speakers on that instead.

4 minutes ago, Andre S. said:

Pretty much only glowing reviews (example

Why do they have food cans below the speakers? :laugh:

2 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Budget is less than $100, portability isn't an issue at all.

Although these are not USB, BOSE Companion 2 would offer the best bang for the buck. Your satisfaction is guaranteed :) 

Can't go wrong with these Logis or Rosewills either. 

Other than those, there are plenty of inexpensive mostly portable pairs going for $30 or less.

I have very low expectations for anything marketed as "computer", "multimedia" or "gaming" speakers. BOSE in particular is quite infamous in audiophile circles. Such speakers tend to be engineered with very little concern for accuracy. It takes some research but it's well worth broadening your search towards things called just "speakers" or even "monitors" and marketed towards people who actually care about good sound reproduction, like music artists.