The official title for Star Wars: Episode VIII is...

THE OFFICIAL TITLE FOR STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII REVEALED – EXCLUSIVE

ANNOUNCING THE NAME OF THE NEXT FILM IN THE SKYWALKER SAGA.

We have the greatest fans in this or any other galaxy. In appreciation of the fans, we wanted them to be the first to know the title of the next chapter in the Skywalker saga: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI.

THE LAST JEDI is written and directed by Rian Johnson and produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski.

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI is scheduled for release December 15, 2017. 

Source: starwars.com

Solid title. I don't think it is necessarily dark or foreboding... Luke may be the Last Jedi before starting a new generation (again. Hopefully one doesn't psychotically murder the rest again), so the plot may settle around (or at least anchor around) Luke as a teacher. Or it could just be a reference, like how The Phantom Menace was referring to Palpatine. Perhaps Episode IX's title would be something about the new generation or fulfilling hope.

I hope Luke doesn't die as well and I think the best way to move forward and to have balance is to have two jedi to balance the two sith we always get. 

4 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

it's true all of it...

luke is the last jedi know seeing as leia is gone. wasn't she the other one that yoda mentioned?

Leia is gone, did I miss that part of the movie?

3 minutes ago, Slarlac249 said:

it's true all of it...

luke is the last jedi know seeing as leia is gone. wasn't she the other one that yoda mentioned?

Or is he. Jedi is both singular and plural. I believe they've confirmed that Leia could appear in IX too.

Saw this the other day which I thought I'd share while I'm here :p

• Like 2

With Carrie gone,  they'll have to write around her for episode 9 if she was originally going to be in it.  Sure you could do CGI but I'd say it's too soon and could be in bad taste. 

That said,  like others have said,  jedi isn't just singular,  I think it means both Luke and Ray. 

8 minutes ago, George P said:

With Carrie gone,  they'll have to write around her for episode 9 if she was originally going to be in it.  Sure you could do CGI but I'd say it's too soon and could be in bad taste. 

That said,  like others have said,  jedi isn't just singular,  I think it means both Luke and Ray. 

Didnt they say  they werent going to CGI carrie?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Didnt they say  they werent going to CGI carrie?

I don't know but I bet they don't do it and just write her out of episode 9.

16 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Then they're going to have a tough time explaining Leia's absence from the film and any future sequels :/

Yup, the possibilities for them screwing it up have escalated !

• Like 1

Her son killed her son's father. Pretty easy to say she "ran away" or equivalent.

I hope her absence is replaced by a lovable, goofy and accident prone sidekick who just can't seem to stay out of troubles way! Meesa thinkin da be great!

7 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Yup, the possibilities for them screwing it up have escalated !

25 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Then they're going to have a tough time explaining Leia's absence from the film and any future sequels :/

Well ... they are kind of in a no win position.  I'm fairly confident that they'll handle it in the "best way" possible.  

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, Andrew said:

"Hey remember how we just made it through the battle of [insert name]?"

"Yeah it's a pity princess Leia didn't survive."