Outlook outbox - large file cannot delete

I have Win 7 and Outlook for email. A large file (11M) is stuck in the outbox and cannot be deleted.

This once happened before, and by working offline I was able to delete it. Doing this no longer works!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated -

I have had this issue, and like you, working in offline mode generally fixes it. I would try again, and wait a few minutes and Outlook should stop the message spooler; if that doesnt work I would try starting Outlook in safe mode and re-doing the previous troubleshoot. If that still does not work, you'll need to change the delivery location, see here http://smallbusiness.chron.com/change-mail-delivery-locations-outlook-52861.html.

On the assumption you're using the mail app

Have you tried logging in on your web browser? Sometimes going into your folders and checking/deleting from there, then reloading the app can help.

(can take a few minutes)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Circaflex said:

I have had this issue, and like you, working in offline mode generally fixes it. I would try again, and wait a few minutes and Outlook should stop the message spooler; if that doesnt work I would try starting Outlook in safe mode and re-doing the previous troubleshoot. If that still does not work, you'll need to change the delivery location, see here http://smallbusiness.chron.com/change-mail-delivery-locations-outlook-52861.html.

Thank you very much for the advice.

There is a red X on the "work offline" icon, apparently indicating it is not usable - it does not work.

How do I go to safe mode?

I do not want to tamper with the delivery location. This 11M file is stuck in the outbox, and I would not want to change anything I would not know how to reset should the change be problematic.

14 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

On the assumption you're using the mail app

Have you tried logging in on your web browser? Sometimes going into your folders and checking/deleting from there, then reloading the app can help.

(can take a few minutes)

I assume that by "app" you mean a downloaded add-on. I am not (knowingly at least) using any app; just the Outlook email program that came with the computer.

With my browser I first go to the att.net email server to delete any unwanted emails before I open Outlook, which then automatically downloads from that server.

5 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

I assume that by "app" you mean a downloaded add-on. I am not (knowingly at least) using any app; just the Outlook email program that came with the computer.

With my browser I first go to the att.net email server to delete any unwanted emails before I open Outlook, which then automatically downloads from that server.

Windows 8 and onwards, there is a mail app bundled in to the operating system, I understand the confusion as before 'apps' became a thing, it used to be programs.

As you web navigated to your email account, was the file there?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Windows 8 and onwards, there is a mail app bundled in to the operating system, I understand the confusion as before 'apps' became a thing, it used to be programs.

As you web navigated to your email account, was the file there?

My OS is Win 7. The large file has never left my Outlook outbox so I cannot see it anywhere else, and it hinders Outlook's proper functioning.

I think this MIGHT help

Close outlook, and wait a few minutes to make sure all outlook connections are closed off.

type this in your start search box

store:mapi outbox

wait for the search to complete, and you should be able to navigate to the file and delete it from there.

(it's the best I've got, sorry)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I think this MIGHT help

Close outlook, and wait a few minutes to make sure all outlook connections are closed off.

type this in your start search box

store:mapi outbox

wait for the search to complete, and you should be able to navigate to the file and delete it from there.

(it's the best I've got, sorry)

Thanks. I tried this, and the first search got no results. I then searched again in the "computer" option, and a search began with the green line indicating progress slowing and ceasing to progress near the end. Searching "Outlook outbox" produced no useful results.

On 1/27/2017 at 11:07 AM, Howard Davis said:

Thank you very much for the advice.

There is a red X on the "work offline" icon, apparently indicating it is not usable - it does not work.

How do I go to safe mode?

I do not want to tamper with the delivery location. This 11M file is stuck in the outbox, and I would not want to change anything I would not know how to reset should the change be problematic.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I missed your quote.

In order to enter Safe Mode in Outlook do the following:

You can use one of these methods to start Outlook using a command line switch:

Hold Ctrl key as you click the Outlook shortcut.

If you use Vista or Windows 7, type outlook.exe /safe in the Start Search field on the Start menu then press Enter.

In Windows 8, press Windows key to drop back to the Start screen, then type outlook.exe /safe.

If Run…. is shown on your start menu (any version of Windows) click it and type outlook.exe /safe in the Open field and click OK.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type outlook.exe /safe in the Open field and click OK.

Something that has helped me before is to close Outlook then disconnect the PC/laptop from your network. With no network connection, start Outlook and go straight to your Outbox and move the email to your draft folder. It should be possible to delete from here.

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, StrikedOut said:

Something that has helped me before is to close Outlook then disconnect the PC/laptop from your network. With no network connection, start Outlook and go straight to your Outbox and move the email to your draft folder. It should be possible to delete from here.

Hope this helps.

I have no network. I could not move the file stuck in the outbox to the drafts folder, nor can I delete it.

3 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Sorry for the delayed reply, I missed your quote.

In order to enter Safe Mode in Outlook do the following:

You can use one of these methods to start Outlook using a command line switch:

Hold Ctrl key as you click the Outlook shortcut.

If you use Vista or Windows 7, type outlook.exe /safe in the Start Search field on the Start menu then press Enter.

I have Win 7, and could not succeed with either of these methods.

1 hour ago, Howard Davis said:

I have no network.

Just curious... Why are you using Outlook if you aren't connected to a network? And how do you get to att.net without a network connection?

14 hours ago, Pishaw said:

Just curious... Why are you using Outlook if you aren't connected to a network? And how do you get to att.net without a network connection?

Outlook came with the software package when I bought the computer. I have a bookmark that takes me to the att.net server. I only download via Outlook the emails I want.

I FIXED IT.

"The easiest and quickest way to try to unlock the message from your Outbox is to open the message in the Outbox with a double click and close it again. Now select the message and press DELETE or move it to your Drafts folder."

From the Drafts folder I was able to delete it.

Thanks to all for your advice.