PS4 firmware 4.74

PS4:

Main features in system software update 4.74 (includes 4.73, 4.72, 4.71 and 4.70)

This system software update improves system performance.

Main features in system software update 4.50

You can now use a USB 3.0 storage device to install applications, or move applications from your PS4™ system storage. Use a USB storage device that meets the following conditions.

• External hard disk drive
  • USB 3.0 or later
  • 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity
  • Select (Settings) > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], select the connected USB storage device, and then format it for use as extended storage.
  • * There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system.

1. The quick menu is now more user friendly. Party features, such as creating and joining parties, are even easier to access from the quick menu.
  2. (Notifications) has been redesigned. All notifications now appear in a single list.
  3. When using Remote Play on a Windows® PC, Mac, Xperia™ Smartphone, or Xperia™ Tablet, you can now use your device's microphone for voice chat in games or in parties.
  4. You can now use screenshots to customize the background of your home screen and function screen. Select (Settings) > [Themes] > [Select Theme] > [Custom].
  5. You can now post screenshots directly to activities, such as those shown in [What's New]. Press the SHARE button, select [Screenshot], and then select [Activities] as the upload destination. Also, you can now tag games and fellow players.
  6. You can now post animated GIFs to activities and social applications.
  7. Your status is now visible as (Mobile) when you sign in to an application such as (PlayStation®App), even when you are away from your PS4™ system. This means you are available to communicate with Friends.
  8. You can now make a party public or private even after the party has been created. Select (Party) > [Party Settings] > [Party Privacy].
  9. PlayStation®VR now supports Blu-ray 3D™ content.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

-----

PS3:

About PlayStation®3 system software update version 4.81 (including 4.80)

PS3™ system software version 4.81 was released on November 1, 2016. Version 4.81 adds or updates the following features.

New for 4.81

This system software update improves the quality of the system performance.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps3/

-----

PS Vita:

Main features in system software update version 3.65 (including 3.61 and 3.63)  

PlayStation®Vita system software version 3.65 was released on April 18. Version 3.65 adds or updates the following features.

New for 3.65

System software stability during use of some features has been improved.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps-vita/

-----

PS4 Firmware 4.05 and PS Vita Firmware 3.63

5 minutes ago, Showan said:

External HDD Support as in, Play games directly from the External or just Storage for apps?

After taking the update, you’ll be able to store content (including games and add-ons)

And yes you can play them from the EXT.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ### said:

Any ETA for when this goes final?

No. :(

Finally, Sony confirmed that other features coming with 4.50 will be announced at a later date, including the update’s release date.

So the external HDD support begs the question...

Anyone familiar with the Seagate Expansion 8TB USB 3.0 HDD (Model STEB8000100)?

It seems to check all the right boxes (8TB, USB 3.0) so I'm thinking of picking one up once this update officially lands and I'm curious if anyone else has any experience with them (for the PC or Xbox One or at work or whatever)

2 hours ago, Asmodai said:

It seems to check all the right boxes (8TB, USB 3.0) so I'm thinking of picking one up once this update officially lands and I'm curious if anyone else has any experience with them (for the PC or Xbox One or at work or whatever)

I still dont trust Seagate to this day...

i was eyeballing one of their 5TB drives during black friday... then i read about the abundance of failures on it...

im personally looking to possibly drop a 250GB SSD on the internal and run all games on WB 4TB drive.

1 minute ago, Showan said:

I still dont trust Seagate to this day...

i was eyeballing one of their 5TB drives during black friday... then i read about the abundance of failures on it...

im personally looking to possibly drop a 250GB SSD on the internal and run all games on WB 4TB drive.

I'm pretty sure the PS4 doesn't support TRIM for SSDs and it's only like SATA 3Gb/s or something so an SSD likely won't make a huge difference.  I'm sure it will do some but it's not worth the loss in capacity for such a small improvement to me (all the games are designed thinking you have a 5400rpm HDD anyway).  Even if it was a big boost though I already have a 2TB drive in my launch PS4 and I have no intention of replacing that (ESPECIALLY now that they're adding external support).  My 2TB is a Seagate/Samsung Spinpoint and I haven't had any issues with it.  In fact I have been recommending them to friends who ran out of space but now I'll likely just suggest an external one going forward.  The 8TB drive I noted above is only 5900rpm to if you want performance so much you'd probably go for a 7200rpm drive... but again the games are designed for 5400rpm so 5900rpm is still a slight boost (not that I'd probably notice the difference).  Anyway to each his own.  Happy gaming!

###### FINALLY. Not sure what the Sony software engineers actually do over the there, several years to late but finally I can have more than 6 games installed onto the system at a time.

Soooo, apparently on the PS4Pro, this update will unlock a boost mode for games that aren't already optimized with a "Pro Mode" allowing for higher framerates.

http://deals.kinja.com/buy-a-ps4-pro-get-two-games-to-start-your-collection-1792091711

The next PS4 firmware update, in addition to adding external hard drive support, will unlock Boost Mode on the Pro for PS4 games that haven’t been specifically optimized for the hardware, which should result in higher frame rates and shorter load times.

They still need to add the option for you to change the privacy of a party once created, to turn an open party to private or a private party to an open one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • DrunknMunky changed the title to PS4 firmware 4.50 and PS Vita Firmware 3.63
  • DrunknMunky pinned this topic
On 2/3/2017 at 2:51 PM, Asmodai said:

Just got a price alert that the price fell to under $200 on this drive today too... anyone hooked up this or any other external drive to their PS4 yet?

On 10/02/2017 at 10:08 AM, .Rob said:

They still need to add the option for you to change the privacy of a party once created, to turn an open party to private or a private party to an open one.

They actually added this functionality, so glad too!

This is the drive I bought and started to fill last night, working great so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-4TB-Black-Passport-WDBYFT0040BBK-WESN/dp/B01LQQH86A

1 hour ago, .Rob said:

They actually added this functionality, so glad too!

This is the drive I bought and started to fill last night, working great so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-4TB-Black-Passport-WDBYFT0040BBK-WESN/dp/B01LQQH86A

It looks like a mini Xbox One :p

Did you test if the same drive can be used for both consoles?

On 10/03/2017 at 2:37 PM, Andrew said:

It looks like a mini Xbox One :p

Did you test if the same drive can be used for both consoles?

No sorry mate, I already have a portable on the xbox and couldn't be bothered to faff around with partitioning it for a test.

Don't see why you couldn't partition the drive though as the console should recognise it as two drives then and just format to the required format.

Drawback would be not being able to use that HDD to install stuff to if you wanted to use the other console to play something at the same time I guess.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The UI does seem quicker when selecting items (Y) Wish they'd bring back the separate downloads section... :/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RadishTM said:

The UI does seem quicker when selecting items (Y) Wish they'd bring back the separate downloads section... :/

You're not the only one, I wish they'd bring back the ability to clear notifications too (not just select ones neither)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeesh their external drive support kinda sucks.  If I turn off/disconnect the drive I shouldn't still see the games on it in the interface ya goofs.

Fortunately, PS4 Pros hard drive is pretty decent anyway so I just uninstalled the extras.