I cannot print a Windows 10 Test page or from Word 2010/Excel 2010/Outlook 2010 but can print from Chrome and Edge?

Windows version: Windows 10 v1607 (Build 10.0.14393) 64-Bit
Printer: HP Deskjet 3630 with latest Windows 10 drivers from HP's website
Security software: Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. No 3rd party software installed.

This is a new/clean install of Windows 10, not upgraded, on a laptop originally shipped with Windows 7. Printing has never worked.

Either over Wifi or USB cable I can print from Chrome, Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer not tested) or the HP Diagnostics software perfectly fine but cannot print a Windows 10 Test page. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the HP software/drivers:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/bradavon/image001_zpssh8jexxz.png

The Print Troubleshooter doesn't find a fault. From Excel 2010:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/bradavon/image0011_zpsk4oemobd.png

From Outlook 2010:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e256/bradavon/image0012_zpsghhbdwlu.png

Printing from Word 2010 and it appears to print but nothing ever shows in the Print Queue.

The only security software is what's built into Windows 10, including Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. A side note an old HP Deskjet 5650 on USB always shows as Offline. I cannot get it to be Online. Leading me to think this is a Windows not HP issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why I cannot print from Desktop apps, except Chrome (Internet Explorer not tested)? Are there any processes/services etc... I should check are enabled?

Thanks

I would check device manager and see if there's anything in there with a warning or error.

If that's not it, HP support might be your best bet, it sounds like the drivers are not installing properly.

Sounds like a driver issue... Office 10 is a little old. Could be the driver doesn't play nice with Office.

Have you tried turning the printer off and back on? Sometimes that works. Also try putting a piece of paper on top the printer and copy it on the printer itself to make sure it works.

Does the 3630 show up under devices and printers as being online? 

Have you restarted the computer recently by clicking restart and not shut down?

As mentioned in this thread also check the device manager 

In all seriousness, turn off letting Windows Manage Printers

Start>Settings>Devices, and below the Printers and Scanners turn off he "Let Windows manage my default printer" and go try it again.

21 hours ago, warwagon said:

Have you tried turning the printer off and back on? Sometimes that works. Also try putting a piece of paper on top the printer and copy it on the printer itself to make sure it works.

Also make sure it's the default printer and not some other virtual printer like Windows likes to set as default 

18 hours ago, xendrome said:

Start>Settings>Devices, and below the Printers and Scanners turn off he "Let Windows manage my default printer" and go try it again.

Yes extremely stupid feature, in my case it would just randomly select a different printer each time I would print. One time I went to print a 7 page document and when I went to print it I hadn't noticed that windows had selected my Lable printer.

On 03/02/2017 at 3:44 PM, Joe User said:

I would check device manager and see if there's anything in there with a warning or error.

If that's not it, HP support might be your best bet, it sounds like the drivers are not installing properly.

I'm pretty sure I checked that but I'll double check thanks.

On 03/02/2017 at 3:44 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Sounds like a driver issue... Office 10 is a little old. Could be the driver doesn't play nice with Office.

Office 2010 is still in support until 2020 though. It's also the Windows 10 Test Page I can't print too. These are just the apps I've tried though.

On 03/02/2017 at 3:46 PM, warwagon said:

Yep the 3630 shows up on Devices and Printers as Online. I've unplugged it and plugged it in a few times, always with paper.

I think I've restarted (not shutdown). I'll double check that.  Thanks.

On 03/02/2017 at 3:53 PM, helpifIcan said:

Maybe try an older version of the driver?

That's a good idea. Thanks.

On 03/02/2017 at 7:29 PM, xendrome said:

Could this cause a problem? I'm definitely sure, even if it's not the default, I'm selecting the right one when printing.

I'm pretty sure I've turned that off as she only ever wants to print to one printer anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I tried earlier today:

1. There's only one HP Deskjet 3630 shown in Devices and Printers
2. I checked Device Manager. No errors and no problems reported.
2. I tried the HP Diagnostic tool. It said it found and fixed some problems but didn't say what they were.
3. The latest firmware is installed.
4. New drivers were released a few days ago (17/02) so I uninstalled and installed these, full install.
5. I repaired Office 2010.
6. I checked Windows wasn't managing the default printer. She only prints to one printer so setting a default is more appropriate.
7. An older driver: I've tried two different drivers now and HP only let you download the latest version :(.
8. I've posted on HP's website.

All of these went successfully but didn't make a difference. I can print from without a problem:

1. The included HP software, included a diagnostic information page.
2. Internet Explorer
3. Microsoft Edge
4. Google Chrome
5. MS Paint
6. Windows 10 Photos app

I can't print from:

1. Word 2010
2. Excel 2010
3. PowerPoint 2010
4. Outlook 2010
5. The Windows 10 Print Test Page

There's not much else installed. My Mum doesn't use many apps.

Thank you in advance.

I'm going to admit that I'm stumped, and can't provide an immediate solution. However, kudos!  It sounds to me like you've tried several rational attempts to fix the issue, which is something that few have patience for.

Just to try and dig deeper into whether this is a system-wide (hardware/driver) vs user profile issue, is it possible to print from a different local Standard or Administrator user account?

27 minutes ago, Hum said:

Use the all powerful Print Screen key for now.

Edit the text with the MS Paint program if you need to.

For now I've got her to email DOCs to herself and login to Outlook.com webmail to print. She can print DOCs and Emails fine from Chrome.

24 minutes ago, zhangm said:

I'm going to admit that I'm stumped, and can't provide an immediate solution. However, kudos!  It sounds to me like you've tried several rational attempts to fix the issue, which is something that few have patience for.

Just to try and dig deeper into whether this is a system-wide (hardware/driver) vs user profile issue, is it possible to print from a different local Standard or Administrator user account?

Thanks. Several people gave me a few suggestions (I posted the same post to a few forums) so I sat down today and went through them.

I've just read on the HP forum someone with a different HP printer but cannot print from Word 2010 or the Windows Test Page with Windows 10 either (same as I'm finding). If they run Word 2010 as an Administrator they can print. I've just messaged my Mum to try that.

That's a good idea though. I've been thinking it could be profile related and creating a new account would test that.

It's still weird though. How are Office apps different from other Desktop apps?

A helpful Moderator on the MS Technet forum has offered to check over some Event Logs so I've uploaded what they've asked for. Fingers crossed.

I've found in this HP forum post someone has the same problem, they can't print a Windows Test Page and can only print from Word 2010 if they Run as Administrator:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Can-t-print-from-Office-2010-with-Windows-10-except-from/m-p/5995515

Any idea what permissions issues I am having needing to run Word 2010 and Excel 2010 as Administrator?

I've not tested PowerPoint 2010 or Outlook 2010 yet but suspect they're the same. I am going to try next creating a new Standard Windows Profile and see if that works. Thanks