Take-Two says Red Dead Redemption 2 Online won’t compete with GTA Online, avoids talk of sales forecast

Wednesday, 8 February 2017 10:04 GMT By Sherif Saed

It looks like the online mode for Red Dead Redemption 2 will be a big part of the game, the same way it has been for GTA 5.

GTA Online has been very successful for Rockstar parent company Take-Two. In fact, the mode attracted a record number of users just this past December, years after GTA 5’s release.

Naturally, during the company’s most recent earnings call, investors wanted to see if there’s any worry the online mode for the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 will complete with the incredibly popular GTA Online. CEO Strauss Zelnick doesn’t believe so.

“I’m fond of saying entertainment is an unusual animal. And that entertainment properties don’t really compete with other entertainment properties and that you never need entertainment,” he said.

“Entertainment is something that you want to have, but it’s not a need to have. If nothing in the market appeals to you at some time, there’s no reason to go and get it. And if multiple things appeal to you, avid consumers will consume all of those things.

“So, I don’t think there’s any competitive dynamic with any of our upcoming releases apart from the fact that our success is driven by quality. So, I think, the success of Red Dead, which is highly anticipated, will be driven by its quality. And I think the ongoing success of Grand Theft Auto Online is driven by its extraordinary quality,” he added.

Continues...

Cowboy cards, cowboy cards, cowboy cards!

I'm expecting not being able to glitch this to 500 million like I have on GTA with PS3->PS4 transfer. If it sticks to original RDR online then I'm all in, if they go the GTA route but...

• 3 weeks later...

“I’m fond of saying entertainment is an unusual animal. And that entertainment properties don’t really compete with other entertainment properties and that you never need entertainment,” he said.

“Entertainment is something that you want to have, but it’s not a need to have. If nothing in the market appeals to you at some time, there’s no reason to go and get it. And if multiple things appeal to you, avid consumers will consume all of those things.

wut

I admit that I'm tired but this doesn't make all that much sense to me. Is English this guys first language or no..?

Maybe it'll make sense if I come back to read it again tomorrow.

I don't see how it will complete, while at the general level their both open world 3rd person games that's as far as it goes. Those who like gta online aren't going to jump over to something else on mass. I expect rdr2 will have a good size online community but gta is a different beast.