Building a Ryzen PC

I am thinking about building an AMD Ryzen PC.

Specifically, I am looking at the Ryzen 7 1700X and either a B350 or a X370 motherboard.

Since initial demand will outstrip supply, prices will be initially high.

NAND prices have been going through the roof, so I would be shopping for deals on DDR4 memory in the meanwhile.

I guess I am waiting as well for the prices of existing model to drop after AMD releases Vega.

Edited by Mockingbird

8 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I am thinking about building an AMD Ryzen PC.

Specifically, I am looking at the Ryzen 7 1700X and either a B350 or a X370 motherboard.

Since initial demand will outstrip supply, prices will be initially high.

NAND prices have been going through the roof, so I would be shopping for deals on DDR4 memory in the meanwhile.

I guess I am waiting as well for the prices of existing model to drop after AMD releases Vega.

Why do you want one?

Rumors are the chips have been done since last year but the asmedia USB has had bugs and the motherboard makers had EFI issues too. Windows Vista and even 10 had lots of issues when first introduced.

My take is this is going to be buggy initially and we don't know how single core performance is. All the demos used all cores and 16 threads. Do your games use these? Do you do virtualization work? Guess what? Hyper-V dropped support for AMD virtualization instructions!

For me my haswel i7 from 2014 works just fine. It is about as fast and even with 5 VMS running the CPU isn't even maxed out?! 

I think waiting until there is market share and seeing how games run and bugs fixed is more prudent. Intel CPUs are about to get much faster and drop in price :-)

9 minutes ago, sinetheo said:

Why do you want one?

Rumors are the chips have been done since last year but the asmedia USB has had bugs and the motherboard makers had EFI issues too. Windows Vista and even 10 had lots of issues when first introduced.

My take is this is going to be buggy initially and we don't know how single core performance is. All the demos used all cores and 16 threads. Do your games use these? Do you do virtualization work? Guess what? Hyper-V dropped support for AMD virtualization instructions!

For me my haswel i7 from 2014 works just fine. It is about as fast and even with 5 VMS running the CPU isn't even maxed out?! 

I think waiting until there is market share and seeing how games run and bugs fixed is more prudent. Intel CPUs are about to get much faster and drop in price :-)

My current system (Intel Core i7-920) is on its way out. Basically, the motherboard is c***ing out and I am not going to pay $250 for a used x58 motherboard.

I won't be buying Ryzen + motherboard one right out of the gate.

Demand will outstrip supply so prices will be high. And of cause motherboards might be initially buggy.

I am not in a hurry, but I will be shopping for deals in the meanwhile.

As for single-thread performance, we already know from leaked benchmarks (esp. since the review samples have been sent out) are about the same as Broadwell.

6 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

As for single-thread performance, we already know from leaked benchmarks (esp. since the review samples have been sent out) are about the same as Broadwell.

We actually dont know that. Leaked benchmarks are not always a perfect representation of what real-world performance will be like. Both, Intel and AMD are known to fudge and optimize for benchmarks, especially before launch. I will wait for some reviews to be done by forum users and trusted review websites.

I personally would hold off on generation 1; AMD always makes promises and performance falls short of that. Is it true Ryzen is only dual-channel memory? Has only 24pcie lanes? I am not sure I believe the hype just yet.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

We actually dont know that. Leaked benchmarks are not always a perfect representation of what real-world performance will be like. Both, Intel and AMD are known to fudge and optimize for benchmarks, especially before launch. I will wait for some reviews to be done by forum users and trusted review websites.

I am not buying on launch.

31 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I personally would hold off on generation 1; AMD always makes promises and performance falls short of that. Is it true Ryzen is only dual-channel memory? Has only 24pcie lanes? I am not sure I believe the hype just yet.

Of cause it has dual-channel memory and not as many PCIe lanes as Intel X99. That's why the prices are much cheaper than Intel X99.

Anyway, I am not sure how much longer my X58 system can hold on. As I said before, it's on its way out.

Edited by Mockingbird

1 minute ago, Luc2k said:

I've already bought RAM. Worst case scenario, I'll sell it at acquisition price.

NAND prices has been going through the roof.

I look at SSD and RAM prices and released how much cheaper those were a year ago.

12 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I am not buying on launch.

Of cause it has dual-channel memory and not as many PCIe lanes as Intel X79. That's why the prices are much cheaper than Intel X79.

Anyway, I am not sure how much longer my X58 system can hold on. As I said before, it's on its way out.

I was under the impression Ryzen was competing with x99 and not x79.

Its nuts how much NAND and DRAM have skyrocketed in price. They're bound and determined never to let 500GB SSDs drop below $100. Seems thats the sweet spot for most people and they're going to milk it forever.

9 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Its nuts how much NAND and DRAM have skyrocketed in price. They're bound and determined never to let 500GB SSDs drop below $100. Seems thats the sweet spot for most people and they're going to milk it forever.

There's a huge NAND shortage right now.

It has been predicted a year ago

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-sandisk-wd-storage-nand,31795.html

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

This will remain to be seen.

Oh it'll happen. Look at what happened when the new Gen of gfx cards were released. If Ryzen walks the walk, it's going to sell as fast as its stocked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sinetheo said:

Rumors are the chips have been done since last year but the asmedia USB has had bugs and the motherboard makers had EFI issues too.

Aren't those rumors really old though?  I mean they've had plenty of time to work out any kinks since then.

I'm planning on building from a 920 myself.  Still haven't decided if I do the quad core for budget concerns or the six core I really want.

5 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Aren't those rumors really old though?  I mean they've had plenty of time to work out any kinks since then.

I'm planning on building from a 920 myself.  Still haven't decided if I do the quad core for budget concerns or the six core I really want.

They had an issue with CPU errata and the BIOS fix was causing a 40% drop in performance that was fixed recently. Letting it out the door with a bug like that would've killed the product deader than hell.

8 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Aren't those rumors really old though?  I mean they've had plenty of time to work out any kinks since then.Aren't those rumors really old though?  I mean they've had plenty of time to work out any kinks since then.

If you are not using that X58 motherboard anymore, please sent it to me.

38 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

Oh it'll happen. Look at what happened when the new Gen of gfx cards were released. If Ryzen walks the walk, it's going to sell as fast as its stocked.

A big IF?

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

A big IF?

Yep.

The benchmarks from AMD are all parallel with SMT to better hyperthreaded. Great for things like handbrake, SQL databases, and Adobe premiere. But not for most games. 

That is not necessarily bad. It's just Intel is tuned for those per core workloads historically while AMD focuses on future things like async. So we will see.

However, these days a GPU is more of a factor than the CPU. I think 8 cores and 16 threads are excessive. 

Games aren't going to get less demanding. It's also nice to have some power in reserve for background tasks so they don't impact game performance. 

I'm all for as many cores/threads as they can pack into a CPU and keep it reasonably priced. They can do away with the mostly useless GPU integration and use that die space for more cores while they're at it. Have a low-tier business line up with GPU integration if they must. Intel loves product segmentation anyway. 

A good GPU needs a fast CPU to keep it fed.