Question for persons who do not live in US, what type of local food do you like that might someone in the US may not?

I am trying to get a feel for what types of food that someone outside of the US might consider disgusting, but is considered a delicacy to your region? Examples would be: Haggis, Vegemite, blood/black sausage, etc. Me personally, I like Haggis, but from reading what Vegemite is sounds horrible to me! Also the same can go for a US food that you might think sounds horrible, I have heard that beef jerky is disliked by quite a few European countries, so fell free to share whatever you like!

Daal Makhani

Dal-Makhani-1.jpg

Actually quite deceivingly tasty, just lentils (a vegetarian dish) mostly, you eat it with pretty much anything you like, traditionally it's eaten with Roti. (Similar to a tortilla wrap visually, made with flour) or with Naan Bread as pictured

Very Earthy tasting, but hearty nonetheless, I'd live off of it if I could find a decent restaurant that could make it as good as some of the diners in India.

(That image is deceptive, especially if you've never seen it before, it looks terrible at first glance)

Then There's the Doner Kebab, The Kofte. Offel, My wife makes a good dish using offcuts of meat, onions, pastry, all either into a pie, or a pasty type roll depending  (her favourite being bacon < although any meat works >, beans, onions, herbs, garlic, and whatever pastry she didn't use up during the week.

• Like 3

BeaverTails

BeaverTail-pastry-630x397.jpg

What could be tastier than dollops of gooey dough dropped into hot oil, deep fried to golden deliciousness, then sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and served to you warm?

http://www.travelandescape.ca/2014/04/everything-ever-wanted-know-beavertails/

• Like 2

This one will help close off the arteries...

e77e4db9-8a70-4f2a-a3a4-bbc0e1649014_thumbnail_600_600.jpg

Poutine

Poutine is a Canadian dish made of french fries topped with cheese curds and gravy. It first appeared in 1950s rural Québec snack bars and was widely popularized across Canada and beyond in the 1990s.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/history-of-poutine/

mmmmm.....yummy!

Edit...must have been tired...forgot to finish the post.

The above is the generic "retail brand". Each region and family recipe differs widely. Mine is made with 2 types of cheese, Swiss and Mozzarella, fried onions and mushrooms, ground beef or bacon..both together is great. The bottom of the bowl has meatballs...a reward for getting there...and everything is made in layers...more eating, less mixing. I find that the gravy makes the difference and fries must be crisp.   Now it hardens arteries.  :D

1 hour ago, Draggendrop said:

e77e4db9-8a70-4f2a-a3a4-bbc0e1649014_thumbnail_600_600.jpg

mmmmm.....yummy!

My boss at work makes a delicious brown gravy, and every time she does, she comments how she could use a good plate of fries to go with it!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gary7 said:

This is one great Breakfast in The US!

bf.PNG

Without the eggs please, they make me fart too much :D

In Australia we like Vegemite and I heard that the US never understand why we like it so much.

20 hours ago, Draggendrop said:

mmmmm.....yummy!

Edit...must have been tired...forgot to finish the post.

The above is the generic "retail brand". Each region and family recipe differs widely. Mine is made with 2 types of cheese, Swiss and Mozzarella, fried onions and mushrooms, ground beef or bacon..both together is great. The bottom of the bowl has meatballs...a reward for getting there...and everything is made in layers...more eating, less mixing. I find that the gravy makes the difference and fries must be crisp.   Now it hardens arteries.  :D

I've always wanted to try poutine, but I have a feeling our attempts would make your retail brands look like Michelin star quality.

19 hours ago, Daedroth said:

Chips and gravy man!

+ chips and curry sauce :drool:

4 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

You're Scottish? Whereabouts??

Glasgow :)

• Like 1

Tap water (Montreal, Quebec). Seems pretty rare for Americans to drink even just water, let alone tap water (America is big so I guess that varies though).

It is remarkably tasteless in Montreal especially if you let the chlorine evaporate for a night before drinking.

22491729-Water-drop-from-water-tap-on-to

• Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 3:25 AM, Danielx64 said:

Without the eggs please, they make me fart too much :D

In Australia we like Vegemite and I heard that the US never understand why we like it so much.

Beans make you fart.   But Chili is good for your health benefits depends on how you make it.

The worst part is that if you eat peanuts while drinking beer...  It could make you fart and the fart smell may be bad. A friend of mine does this all the time.  

But sniffing the fart smell could help your health benefits like this.

• Like 1

I can share some of my experiences.

Here are some typical responses that I received from my North American friends when I treated them to some Russian delicacies:

Caviar (black or red) - Too salty. Slimy. A disgusting look.

Blini (thin pancakes) - Good.

Blini with caviar - Very good.

Kotlets or meatballs (made of minced pork and beef) - A disgusting look at the mystery meat is given at first until they have the first bite that changes everything.

Kholodets (meat "jelly") - A disgusting look at the mystery dish is given at first until they have the first bite that changes everything.

Olivier salad - same as above.

Pelmeni (small dumplings) - same as above.

Pirozhki (baked or fried buns stuffed with a variety of fillings) - same as above.

Borscht - Very good.

Vinegret (aka the Russian vinaigrette) - Very good.

Beef Stroganoff - "Love it!"

Dressed herring - "It grows on you."

:laugh:

29 minutes ago, Andre S. said:

Tap water (Montreal, Quebec). Seems pretty rare for Americans to drink even just water, let alone tap water (America is big so I guess that varies though).

It is remarkably tasteless in Montreal especially if you let the chlorine evaporate for a night before drinking.

22491729-Water-drop-from-water-tap-on-to

The tap water in the Netherlands is just as drinkable as bottled water since there is no added chlorine and it's filtered ground water :D

Though there's always a risk of the legionella bacteria, that's why tap water should always be drained for a minute when it hasn't been used for a while (after a holiday as example).

Personally I'm addicted to paprika flavor chips, sadly it's not available outside Europe :cry:

Instead there are flavors like BBQ in the US which I would never choose:p

2617786361_c3360c175d.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seahorsepip said:

Personally I'm addicted to paprika flavour chips, sadly it's not available outside europe :'(

2617786361_c3360c175d.jpg

You can have someone to ship the chips to you as long as someone know where to get it.

• Like 1