Power issues in new case

So I moved everything over to a new case. Having some power issues I can't nail down.

System specs; Asus Z97-A motherboard, TT TR2S 700W power supply (I think, close enough)

What works: The PSU, CPU fan, and PCIe vid card all get power. Status LEDs on the motherboard all show green. Panel connectors work.

What doesn't: Chassis fans don't spin up and nothing appears on the monitors.

Unsure of the power status of the SSDs since it won't boot to BIOS

Everything worked fine before the transfer, system never had problems. I have no idea why the CPU fan would work but not the chassis fans. The only irregularity would be that they are 3 pin and the motherboard connections are 4 pin, but that shouldn't be an issue.

It might be set that the fans don't charge up until the system is needs it.

Reset BIOS. Take the battery out wait a few minutes, put back in.

Try beating it with a hammer, and.... Oh, sorry...

What GFX card do you have? Did you try running it without it?

Could be a short in the motherboard too. Make sure it is well seated.

Check that all connectors are plugged in, 24-pin, 4-8-pin, pci-e power.

Could POSSIBLY be the RAM, but that'd be a last resort. As it doesn't sound like it.

No extra motherboard standoffs in irregular positions? All power cords to the mobo are plugged in? Does your board have that "memok" button on it? Try pushing that guy. If everything looks good, I would remove everything from the case, build it on a cardboard box and ensure nothing was damaged during the transfer.

The only irregularity would be that they are 3 pin and the motherboard connections are 4 pin, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I believe that this is at least worth looking at. Since the connections are not the same, there could be some connectivity issues. As far as the monitor goes, if the motherboard is powered up, there is some connection issue between the connection on the board or there is a button off on the monitor. Try a different monitor, perhaps, or try a different cable/connection. I would also check that the RAM is snapped in tight.

Well, I've removed the power connections to all components except the motherboard power. Still not having the chassis fans powering on (I also tried using different fans, same problem) or booting... switched monitor to the onboard graphics, no effect. Remounted the motherboard. No effect. So I'm at a loss.

Project update;

Got the power issue nailed down. Not sure what it was, but subsequent re-installs of the power supply worked. Probably use a video cable somewhere.

New problem: BOOT_DEVICE_LED stays lit and the board won't boot to BIOS. I am confident there are no shorts. I've completely removed all drives, their power cables, etc and have tested them connected outside the case one at a time, and on each SATA connector on the board, so I'm also confident it isn't a drive issue. I don't have any other devices connected - using onboard video. The bootup processes cycles through the RAM, VGA and CPU, then sticks on boot device. It basically does the same thing as it does with no drive connected.

4 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Project update;

Got the power issue nailed down. Not sure what it was, but subsequent re-installs of the power supply worked. Probably use a video cable somewhere.

New problem: BOOT_DEVICE_LED stays lit and the board won't boot to BIOS. I am confident there are no shorts. I've completely removed all drives, their power cables, etc and have tested them connected outside the case one at a time, and on each SATA connector on the board, so I'm also confident it isn't a drive issue. I don't have any other devices connected - using onboard video. The bootup processes cycles through the RAM, VGA and CPU, then sticks on boot device.

Did you wash your hands and have a 'good electrical grounding' before you started?

I only ask as I've fried a board in the past due to an esd discharge

12 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Project update;

New problem: BOOT_DEVICE_LED stays lit and the board won't boot to BIOS. I am confident there are no shorts. I've completely removed all drives, their power cables, etc and have tested them connected outside the case one at a time, and on each SATA connector on the board, so I'm also confident it isn't a drive issue. I don't have any other devices connected - using onboard video. The bootup processes cycles through the RAM, VGA and CPU, then sticks on boot device. It basically does the same thing as it does with no drive connected.

On the upper right hand corner of your motherboard, there is a button labeled MemOK. It is small, but there. Hold that down until the dram led blinks, then try powering the system.

18 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

The MomOK passes when used, goes back to being stuck on boot device

So not fried.

When you say it gets stuck on boot  device, we're still in bios settings right?

Do you have a spare hard drive?

Try installing the os on that?

Nope, doesn't even get into BIOS; screen just stays powered but blank. I tried leaving it on for a minute to see if it was just slow, and mashing DEL/F2. No response. Tried another video card, onboard video, no display. Tried other drives and SATA ports, same error LED. Even tried different power cables.

1 minute ago, Zagadka said:

Nope, doesn't even get into BIOS; screen just stays powered but blank. I tried leaving it on for a minute to see if it was just slow, and mashing DEL/F2. No response. Tried another video card, onboard video, no display. Tried other drives and SATA ports, same error LED. Even tried different power cables.

Processor hasn't become dislodged has it?

As soon as I read it was a Thermaltake PSU - I thought "there is the problem"

Still want to say - that is the problem.
It might be getting some power, just not enough - not that it isnt powerful enough, but maybe a rail is bad -

If it were me, I would swap the PSU - just to rule that out - but again, it is because it is a Thermaltake, and I dont trust them.
I realize it may not seem like its the PSU - but I would swap it out regardless - never go cheap on a PSU.

heh, wasn't cheap at the time. Don't have another one here today to swap, but I should have one tomorrow or so.

Reseated the CPU and RAM, still no change.

8 hours ago, T3X4S said:

As soon as I read it was a Thermaltake PSU - I thought "there is the problem"

Still want to say - that is the problem.
It might be getting some power, just not enough - not that it isnt powerful enough, but maybe a rail is bad -

If it were me, I would swap the PSU - just to rule that out - but again, it is because it is a Thermaltake, and I dont trust them.
I realize it may not seem like its the PSU - but I would swap it out regardless - never go cheap on a PSU.

Not "ALL" Tt PSU's are bad. ;)

Edit: Found this:

The Thermaltake TR2 700 W is manufactured by FSP; it is actually a rebranded FSP700-80GHN(85) unit, which is also sold as the FSP Epsilon 85 Plus 700.
Read more at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/thermaltake-tr2-700-w-power-supply-review/#G439ZDu3OcAMzots.99

That mean anything?

19 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Not "ALL" Tt PSU's are bad. ;)

Edit: Found this:

That mean anything?

If you search that model - you will find only russian links, and it is not even a bronze certified.

My thoughts are, why would someone purchase this, when there are so many other better options @ relatively same price point ?

UPDATE:  Just saw your sig... :blush:  - I mean no disrespect, 

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

If you search that model - you will find only russian links, and it is not even a bronze certified.

My thoughts are, why would someone purchase this, when there are so many other better options @ relatively same price point ?

UPDATE:  Just saw your sig... :blush:  - I mean no disrespect, 

Well, yea, my Tt model is made by that same company that makes Corsair PSU's, so I'm safe. :)

No disrespect taken. Everyone has their opinion. :)

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Well, yea, my Tt model is made by that same company that makes Corsair PSU's, so I'm safe. :)

No disrespect taken. Everyone has their opinion. :)

So who is making Corsair ?  Is it Seasonic ? 

23 hours ago, Circaflex said:

No extra motherboard standoffs in irregular positions? All power cords to the mobo are plugged in? Does your board have that "memok" button on it? Try pushing that guy. If everything looks good, I would remove everything from the case, build it on a cardboard box and ensure nothing was damaged during the transfer.

winner!

disconnext everything except the CPU (so remove sata cabling, ram etc) with just a CPU and fans attached, does it POST beep code (lemme guess you have no internal PC speaker?) 

sounding like its not even getting as far as the POST tests, so Circas ideas are probably spot on.

Edited by Mando

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

So who is making Corsair ?  Is it Seasonic ? 

My Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M Is made by CWT. The same company that made some Corsair models.

12 minutes ago, PeterUK said:

What case did you get?

If it has USB ports (what case doesn't) try not having them connected.

My guess is the MB has gone when you moved it out the old case.

I moved a lot of motherboards case to case. I wouldn't think his board was damaged in any way. For all we know, it could be, though.

On 2/19/2017 at 6:30 PM, Barney T. said:

I believe that this is at least worth looking at. Since the connections are not the same, there could be some connectivity issues. As far as the monitor goes, if the motherboard is powered up, there is some connection issue between the connection on the board or there is a button off on the monitor. Try a different monitor, perhaps, or try a different cable/connection. I would also check that the RAM is snapped in tight.

Asus and most other motherboards support 3 pin pwm fans attached to 4 pin headers buddy (4th is Fan PWM RPM). Most can even still adjust the fan speeds despite being on 4 pin headers, corsair coolers dont, ive had to put 2x140mm on the 4 pin cpu and cpu alt headers and run PWM adjustments without issue on my liquid cooler.

my S2770 Asus strix does as did my old z68 (2600k era) Boot Device LED error on asus = stays lit until the issue cause, is resolved. so its faulting, a device not connected, or the device you have fitted to it isnt bootable. curveball but do you have any other sata cables you could fit a optical or platter/SSD to the port?

the mobo displaying on LED that its boot device is a good thing, thats a POST result being displayed via LED. you resolve that and the mobo will go into the bios.

Edited by Mando