New Laptop Slow at startup?

Morning, I received my new Dell Latitude 3570 it came with 4gb of ram I put a second 4gb stick of ram into it as well making the total 8gb (7.82gb usable). it has the i5-6200U CPU processor.  when I power on the laptop it is very slow to get everything loaded.   is there anything I can do to speed this up, once its running it moves fine, mostly just the initial boot that is bad.

one other think I noticed is that I use MS Access for one purpose to print label, before when running from my desktop it took seconds to do this.  now for some reason when I use the MS Access it takes me 30-45 seconds per label to generate.  I changed the maxbuffersize in the registry per some suggestions but didn't really do much, any other ideas would be great.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2017 at 6:26 AM, LilSnoop40 said:

Morning, I received my new Dell Latitude 3570 it came with 4gb of ram I put a second 4gb stick of ram into it as well making the total 8gb (7.82gb usable). it has the i5-6200U CPU processor.  when I power on the laptop it is very slow to get everything loaded.   is there anything I can do to speed this up, once its running it moves fine, mostly just the initial boot that is bad.

one other think I noticed is that I use MS Access for one purpose to print label, before when running from my desktop it took seconds to do this.  now for some reason when I use the MS Access it takes me 30-45 seconds per label to generate.  I changed the maxbuffersize in the registry per some suggestions but didn't really do much, any other ideas would be great.

Thanks

Dell makes some of the best laptops on Planet Earth and then to actually turn a profit has to pollute that excellence with a multitude of garbage models just like HP and others.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-LAT3570-2559BLK-Notebook-i5-6200U/dp/B01C8Y92RW

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Latitude-15-3570-Notebook-Review.168525.0.html

http://laptopmedia.com/review/dell-latitude-15-3570-review-if-endurance-is-your-top-priority/

IMG_20161101_155237.jpg?resize=680,383

There appears to be no M.2 NVMe slot for a superfast Samsung 960 drive so the best option is a Samsung 850 Pro SSD in 2.5" form factor to replace the WD Blue drive.

It is bad enough that a consumer can purchase an antique spinning hard drive for the boot drive of a laptop in 2017, but to supply a slow 5400 RPM drive instead of 7200 RPM seems somehow like an extra slap in the face!

Welcome to an intentionally crippled computer!

Disable all the useless things that start up with your computer by opening the startup tab in task manager (programs that startup) and by opening up msconfig (services that start up). That should at least make a hdd bearable until you can get a ssd in there.

the latitude builds are pretty decent overall, all intel chips at least. Its their enterprise range so are pretty tough tbh. I dont buy for enterprise without SSDs nowadays, same with Desktops or servers tbh.

Best thing you can do is fit an SSD to any laptop, even a SATA2 era one,  Infact id say over that extra 4gb id have went SSD, both would serve it well. Any SSD would be a boost (and longer battery life)

Ive got an 2007 era X201 lenovo ultra-portable with u7 260m (2 Cores, 4 threads) 8Gb ddr3 and a sata 2 60Gb SSD, runs Win10 beautifully..

Devtechs SSd is about best it can run, but cheaper ones would still be a big boost over that low power 5400rpm drive.

Check in the Bios that the ram is running dual channel (if its same speed rated it should auto set)

Edited by Mando
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mando said:

the latitude builds are pretty decent overall, all intel chips at least. Its their enterprise range so are pretty tough tbh. I dont buy for enterprise without SSDs nowadays, same with Desktops or servers tbh.

A well configured Latitude can be a nice durable computer but there is the problem. Unless the buyer really knows hardware, it is very easy to purchase Latitude configs that make no sense for a business workhorse. Some models only had a 1366 x 768 LCD and the above model actually was available with a TN panel. I' sure anyone who has had to work on Excel or Word in 1368x768 is cursing the person who sourced their unit!

On 4/11/2017 at 10:38 PM, DevTech said:

A well configured Latitude can be a nice durable computer but there is the problem. Unless the buyer really knows hardware, it is very easy to purchase Latitude configs that make no sense for a business workhorse. Some models only had a 1366 x 768 LCD and the above model actually was available with a TN panel. I' sure anyone who has had to work on Excel or Word in 1368x768 is cursing the person who sourced their unit!

ahh yes there is that, although most of ours are the 1368 panels (E7440s) with external docks and monitors, users never use the laptop screen unless they are out of the office. If i suggest they could use it say for outlook, they just look at me funny with, oh no more than 1 monitor would send me nuts.....errr ok ill not say anything about my 5 monitor setup in my office then lol. I get lost at home if working form home, with just having 3 lol