Legacy Ports

I've been looking at maybe building a new computer in the near future and was look at some motherboards and I was sort of shocked to see most of the boards had a lot of legacy port. PS/2, VGA, USB 2.0... white often time missing newer ports such as DVI, USB 3.1 and Type C connections. I'm just wondering... does anyone here still use those legacy ports? or are they wasted space on the MOBO and why would people still want these legacy port.. especially the older ones?

edited.jpg

Edited by seta-san

I don't see the need for these ports since you can just buy a PCI add-in card for almost type of port you could need.  I do think it's a waste of space but there must be a reason the ports are still there.  Maybe cheaper, maybe OEMs want them?  I don't know of any new devices that use parallel or serial ports.  Same with keyboards and mice using the PS2 ports.  Almost everything is USB or ThunderBolt.

Well...that is a 45 60 dollar motherboard in your image...of course it will be loaded with "cheap" legacy stuff.

To answer your question "still want these legacy port.. especially the older ones?"

I don't ... but it doesn't bother me if they are on the board.  Not really sure USB 2.0 is legacy ... my mouse/keyboard probably doesn't care.

Heck ... you still can find PCI slots on 200 series chipsets. :) 

Edited by Jim K
Edit: Noticed it was on sale for $45 with a regular price of $60
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Well...that is a 44 dollar mobo in your image...of course it will be loaded with "cheap" legacy stuff.

To answer your question "still want these legacy port.. especially the older ones?"

I don't ... but it doesn't bother me if they are on the board.  Not really sure USB 2.0 is legacy ... my mouse/keyboard probably doesn't care.

seems to me they could have added another two usb 2 ports, dumped the vga port and the ps/2 ports and sold it for $40 if your making this a low cost board.

7 hours ago, sc302 said:

DVI is being replaced by hdmi or display port. VGA is analog. 

Take a look at this high end board.  You will see non of what you are complaining about. 

https://m.newegg.com/product/index?itemNumber=9SIA2F857B5155&Keyword=ROG MAXIMUS IX FORMULA

i'm glad that the high end doesn't have that ######. it still doesn't explain why budget boards do.

I am not a manufacturer. But I can only guess to continue to support legacy peripherals. I don't know of any businesses that use built computers but I know businesses that have a lot of legacy equipment.

26 minutes ago, sc302 said:

I am not a manufacturer. But I can only guess to continue to support legacy peripherals. I don't know of any businesses that use built computers but I know businesses that have a lot of legacy equipment.

Which yes, does make sense.  In industrial applications, you would still have need for many of those legacy ports but they put them on like every single motherboard which is overkill.  You can't tell me that the guy buying a $$$ premium "gaming" motherboard is ever going to use the f'n PS/2 ports.  Because they aren't!

I personally like having a VGA port and at least one PS/2 Port. It makes it much easier to diagnose some problems. It really doesn't add to the overall size. I'm not looking at my PC for how beautiful it is though, some people are. This thing is a work horse and it works great.

Which yes, does make sense.  In industrial applications, you would still have need for many of those legacy ports but they put them on like every single motherboard which is overkill.  You can't tell me that the guy buying a $$$ premium "gaming" motherboard is ever going to use the f'n PS/2 ports.  Because they aren't!

My premium gaming board quoted above doesn't have it. Usually low end boards have those ports, esp vga.

Hello,

Legacy ports are a feature of two sets of motherboards: 

• Value-oriented, where the motherboard is likely being paired with legacy peripherals (PS/2 bus mouses, VGA monitor, etc.); and
  • Industrial-control, where the motherboard may be also be used with legacy peripherals (PS/2 based card scanners, serial port barcode readers, PCI cards for industrial automation control, etc.)

Newer interface ports cost more, not just for their connectors, but also in cost of R&D, support ICs to drive them, testing and so forth. 

If you want a motherboard that supports only the latest interfaces, by a high-end one ($300-600) for gaming or workstation use.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13 hours ago, seta-san said:

I've been looking at maybe building a new computer in the near future and was look at some motherboards and I was sort of shocked to see most of the boards had a lot of legacy port. PS/2, VGA, USB 2.0... white often time missing newer ports such as DVI, USB 3.1 and Type C connections. I'm just wondering... does anyone here still use those legacy ports? or are they wasted space on the MOBO and why would people still want these legacy port.. especially the older ones?

edited.jpg

The reason they are included again is because gamers actually think they are 1 - 2 MS faster than USB keyboards and mice. I guess kids today have no idea the technology is 30 years old and reaction time is more than 2 MS. Face palm

• 2 weeks later...

I know in my office they exclusively use the old PS/2 keyboards and mice. They literally plug/epoxy all the USB ports on every device to ensure they are completely unavailable to users for anything. 

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Give it time. Be glad they don't have Dual PS/2 ports anymore. It's going away.

Still there on buisness pcs for deployment via old KVM it doesnt hurt.

PS2 interfaces are mostly for legacy business stuff, same with VGA. The USB2 ports are needed for older OS support. HDMI is the replacement for DVI. 7.1 on a budget MB?

The overall cost of the ports is negligible, since it's all part of the chipset anyway.  Essentially, those ports are there, spend the $2 to build them out and avoid having to create another SKU which would cost far more.

HDMI is not only for TV's. Most computer monitors these days have a HDMI input...As far as the other ports, I don't have a need for PS/2, I don't use on-board graphics, and I don't use 7.1 audio on my PC. 

Just USB type C all the things! 

25 minutes ago, TPreston said:

Still there on buisness pcs for deployment via old KVM it doesnt hurt.

never said it hurts. I just saying on consumer PC's, not business.

2 hours ago, Zag L. said:

I know in my office they exclusively use the old PS/2 keyboards and mice. They literally plug/epoxy all the USB ports on every device to ensure they are completely unavailable to users for anything. 

That sounds like a terrible idea. I wonder if your IT team knows you can disable the USB ports via the BIOS for 99% of computers or use Group Policy; but glue in the physical port? What bonehead thought that was a good idea.

Some people hold on to hardware as long as it still works.

Many users are only replacing a MB when it fails.

You can always add ports that you want to the motherboard, via cards.

7 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

That sounds like a terrible idea. I wonder if your IT team knows you can disable the USB ports via the BIOS for 99% of computers or use Group Policy; but glue in the physical port? What bonehead thought that was a good idea.

I heard of people de-soldering them... It's a problem with some people...