Moonlight wins Best Picture at 2017 Oscars after La La Land announcement blunder

Damien Chazelle’s La La Land landed the Oscar for Best Picture at the 89th Academy Awards, except it didn't, as the award presenters read out the wrong winner.

Barry Jenkins' Moonlight was in fact given the accolade, in an unbelievably surreal piece of television and probably the most dramatic moment in Oscars history.

Presenters Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty announced La La Land as the winner of the night's biggest award, with cast and crew flooding the stage.

Producer Jordan Horowitz launched into an acceptance speech, getting quite far into it, before the truth slowly spread through the gaggle of people on the podium.

Horowitz then began insisting that Moonlight won Best Picture, and many assumed he was trying to be self-effacing and respectful by passing the award onto Jenkins' picture.

But no, Beatty stepped forward to explain that he had been handed the wrong envelope - the one that revealed Emma Stone had won Best Actress for La La Land.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/oscars-2017-best-picture-winner-award-la-la-land-damien-chazelle-ryan-gosling-emma-stone-a7598151.html

Who am I to say which one is better, I haven't seen either of them, but this smells like a a last minute change to once again make a political statement from the academy. 

I mean technically it wasn't a Steve Harvey as he was given the wrong card, he didn't read it incorrectly like Steve did.

I always figured they had it written on the card but also it would show up on the teleprompter.  

48 minutes ago, George P said:

Who am I to say which one is better, I haven't seen either of them, but this smells like a a last minute change to once again make a political statement from the academy. 

No Beatty got given the card for best actress. It said "Emma Stone - La La Land." Which is why he looked so confused originally. The best picture card doesn't list the actors/actresses.

The best picture card said "Moonlight - Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner, Producers"

4 minutes ago, -Razorfold said:

No Beatty got given the card for best actress. It said "Emma Stone - La La Land." Which is why he looked so confused originally. The best picture card doesn't list the actors/actresses.

The best picture card said "Moonlight - Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner, Producers"

Either way, someone probably got fired, if it didn't make sense when he read it the first time he should've said something instead of just going ahead and reading the wrong card.

And on that note, best picture goes last, the best actress award should've already been given out, so why is there still a best actress card even in the mix?

3 hours ago, George P said:

And on that note, best picture goes last, the best actress award should've already been given out, so why is there still a best actress card even in the mix?

Something tells me, after this, the procedures have changed.

Beatty's a fool.

Anyway, why the hell didn't the two incompetents who knew who the real winner was immediately storm the stage when the wrong name was called out, instead of letting the poor director give his full acceptance speech first?

42 minutes ago, Shiranui said:

Beatty's a fool.

Anyway, why the hell didn't the two incompetents who knew who the real winner was immediately storm the stage when the wrong name was called out, instead of letting the poor director give his full acceptance speech first?

They are all fools. why do they need so many award shows, are their EGO's that high? What other job has an award show for just doing what your paid to do......

not planning on seeing either as they aren't my cupa tea, but it was amusing to see the blunder.

I don't think it's only a matter of being overpaid, it's the overrated ones that tick me off, you know, the ones who aren't that wonderful when in character but everyone seems to think they are.

It's the ones that become legends, those are the actors i really admire, like Ford, SLJ, Bruce, Arnie, Sly, Snipes, A Hopkins, Hopper, Patrick S, Shatner, Nimoy, C Fisher, P Cushing, C Reeves, C Plummer, C Lloyd and so on...

Edited by Slarlac249

12 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

What would have changed? Making sure that you had the correct card?

Putting a Trash can right off stage to through your card into :D