Bad Advert?

I was just browsing the forums and I was redirected to this link which I immediately closed.  It mentioned System Protection Support.

I edited the link to remove my IP#.

http://hitech-fs8qy6.pw/virus.dill/?pagex=3&=Windows&browser=Mozilla&isp=Comcast Cable Communications inc.&ip=xx.xx.xxx.x&asdflasdl0tfn1asldfalsdffl=855-250-8063

Edited by SecretAgentMan

7 minutes ago, SecretAgentMan said:

I was just browsing the forums and I was redirected to this link which I immediately closed.  It mentioned System Protection Support.

I edited the link to remove my IP#. 

Not sure if it too late but you may want to code that link so that someone doesn't click on it by mistake.

• Like 1

Ads will always be a tricky subject :/

The sandbox attribute will be able to block such redirects from ever occurring in modern browsers but also prevents some ads from working properly. Also I'm not sure if ads are still able to open a new tab/redirect when they're clicked with the sandbox attribute which defeats the purpose of most ads.

I know this is a stretch, but please check if any of your extensions are doing this, because only a week ago I discovered that My Download Box was hijacking all of the ads and loading redirectors. Since I deleted the extension the ads have been quicker to load and behaving.

The only ads that I know of that redirect are the mobile 320x50 ones that have all been disabled on Neowin.

If you confirm it is coming off Neowin I will also need to know the location you loaded from (UK, US etc).

No known extensions I have are doing this and the page never loaded up in a different tab.  I was browsing a thread and the misdirect just went to that link which I immediately closed.

And Neowin was the only website I had open at the time.

@SecretAgentMan My contact was OOO but I only got that email when I attempted to nudge here for a reply.. resubmitted it to Emergency response and got the following:

Hi again Steven,

I looked up the given url and the problem has been resolved. Thank you for the detailed written problem description and for the given report. In case you experience something similar in the future, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us again, we’d be happy to help. Please note, however, that 100% ad quality cannot be guaranteed in RTB environment since some creatives come improperly categorized, e.g. a video ad might be categorized as a flash ad, and even though we’d blocked video demand, the video ad might still sneak through the filters.

Thanks.

Thanks for the report, and as much detail as possible helps support desk to locate the bad ad :)

• Like 1