The real reason there is so much hunger for Ryzen

Intel has completely separate the mainstream platform (i.e. Intel Z270) from the enthusiast HEDT platform (i.e. Intel X99) in order to keep prices of the latter high.

Intel has limited the mainstream to quad-core while the enthusiast platform can have up to ten-cores.

The barrier to entry for the enthusiast platform as well as for switching platforms are very high.

For example, enthusiast platform motherboard (i.e. Intel X99) is also significantly more expensive the mainstream platform motherboard

Switching from the mainstream platform to enthusiast platform requires buying new motherboards and quad-channel memory as well as processors.

Had Intel released hex-core and octo-core processors for the mainstream platform, they could have become popular, but Intel didn't do this specifically to keep prices of hex-core and onto-core processors high.

As a result, there is been a lot of pending demand for hex-core and octo-core processors for the mainstream platform and this is precisely what AMD is offering.

Conversely there may not be as much demand for quad-core Ryzen processors because many people with quad-core Intel Core processors (Sandy Bridge and later) wouldn't consider quad-core Ryzen to be much of an upgrade or even a downgrade for those with quad-core (Intel Skylake or later)

Gaming aside, I want a rig just for number crunching on BOINC.  That means more cores so I can have more tasks going at the same time.  I don't care if the IPC is 10%-20% lower than Kaby Lake (rumor), I just need more cores and I don't want to spend 1000+ dollars on a CPU that can crunch 8/16 tasks at once.  I know people running BOINC or doing grid computing are a very small percentage of the market but to me, more cores are important.  As is TDP when running 100% CPU usage 24/7, 365.  That's why I'm planning on buying the Ryzen 7 1700 later this year no matter the benchmarks.  8 cores/16 threads @ 65 watt TDP.  Well, either the 1700 or two used Xeon CPUs with a dual socket MB.  But even used the Xeons will be more expensive with a new dual socket MB and ECC RAM.

For gaming, I'm not doing a platform upgrade for a while.  Video card for sure but keeping my 2600k for a while longer.  I for sure am not going to go to another quad core on my gaming rig.  Not when I can just clock up the 2600k higher.  I think it would be a waste of money.