updated keyboard, now can't log in to device

I own a Nexus 7 2012 model, running Android 4.4.x, and I've been using the keyboard layout before the lollipop one for the last number of years. Part of my password contains the :-) built in character of the keyboard. I hit the :-) keyboard switch icon, then hit the :-) key option, switch back to normal layout, and hit the green checkmark to login. I keep getting wrong password.

Ironically I wasn't wanting to do a backup today of the tablet before I installed the version 5 update so I was updating my apps, and now I can't login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, darthyoda6 said:

I own a Nexus 7 2012 model, running Android 4.4.x, and I've been using the keyboard layout before the lollipop one for the last number of years. Part of my password contains the :-) built in character of the keyboard. I hit the :-) keyboard switch icon, then hit the :-) key option, switch back to normal layout, and hit the green checkmark to login. I keep getting wrong password.

Ironically I wasn't wanting to do a backup today of the tablet before I installed the version 5 update so I was updating my apps, and now I can't login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Perhaps it was the same emoji, but without nose? no nose - :)    nose - :-) 

The normal part of the keyboard works fine, it's just the smiley emoji text that doesn't work.  I tried the key on a really older version of the keyboard, and it's the same 3 letters as the one on the new keyboard, so I don't get why it's not working

text emoji.jpg

Yep tried that too. Ended up having to do a factory reset without backing up my stuff and with the Android backup turned off.

connect to PC with ADB and use keyboard