Outlook vs Gmail: The right chose?

Question

Hi,

today i open a new outlook account, i think that is very very good, nice interface and good organization.

But, actually is more reliable Gmail or Outlook? I read that sometime microsoft service, have some problem

13 answers to this question

I find Outlook to be very reliable.  I prefer it over gmail because it seems to have many more functions or options.  Also, I always use my email in Rich Text format and my sister said gmail doesn't have that.  Maybe that's why she can't see the pictures I like to paste into my emails.  If I can't send her a link, I can't send the picture unless I attach it as a separate document (I copy pictures, articles,, whatever into a Word document, save it, close it and then attach it to the email.  I haven't heard whether she can open those, but I prefer Outloook over all the other email programs (?) that I've tried - Yahoo, gmail, and one or two others.

I'm no computer or email expert - just offering my opinion.

Outlook.com has better compatibility with Desktop email clients. You essentially have a Microsoft Exchange Inbox, meaning you can sync your email, contacts, calendar and notes between devices. In comparison with Gmail you only get IMAP, meaning you can only sync email.

Just now, InsaneNutter said:

Outlook.com has better compatibility with Desktop email clients. You essentially have a Microsoft Exchange Inbox, meaning you can sync your email, contacts, calendar and notes between devices. In comparison with Gmail you only get IMAP, meaning you can only sync email.

It also comes with Office Online which is without comparison.

15 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

Well that's odd that GMail provides instructions for POP/SMTP on their site since you say they only support IMAP - https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en&visit_id=1-636250365159580727-2623994852&rd=1

4 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Well that's odd that GMail provides instructions for POP/SMTP on their site since you say they only support IMAP - https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en&visit_id=1-636250365159580727-2623994852&rd=1

One decades old pos mail protocol versus another who cares. There's only one that's modern ie Exchange.

6 minutes ago, xendrome said:

POP / SMTP don't allow you to sync email which is what I was implying, you can pull a copy from the server and store it locally, thats it. With IMAP If you mark an email as read or unread, move it to another folder and so on, it will sync that back to the server and any other devices you have the email account on.

However you still can't sync contacts, calendar or manage email rules with Gmail from a desktop client, where as you can with Outlook.com.

If it's on an Android/iOS device, you can use the GMail app and Calendar app and IMAP/POP is irrelevant, and syncing works between them.  As for downtime, we experience very little, but I never use my Outlook account, so I can't says it's worse.  I use GMail personally and GSuite at work.

Edited by farmeunit

On 3/13/2017 at 5:20 PM, InsaneNutter said:

POP / SMTP don't allow you to sync email which is what I was implying, you can pull a copy from the server and store it locally, thats it. With IMAP If you mark an email as read or unread, move it to another folder and so on, it will sync that back to the server and any other devices you have the email account on.

However you still can't sync contacts, calendar or manage email rules with Gmail from a desktop client, where as you can with Outlook.com.

But with IMAP email is stored on the server. Pop3 emails are downloaded to the local machine. 

Basically they are both email servers and the clients have more to with which you prefer. My company has been with Gmail for years and we switched to Office 365 in Jan and I prefer Google. It might have been different if we were on Office 365 first.