CPU Load - Windows Defender on top

Question

Hi.

I'm a bit curios if this cpu load is somehow normal.. it won't reach 1 or even 0.. it always moves around 13-15% with windows defender service being responsable. Is this ok? I'm a bit worried about it..is windows defender (windows 10) enough these days? 

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

7 answers to this question

This is not normal if it stays at 13-15% all the time, it should come down to 0% (as screenshot shows). Does it still do this after a reboot? Defender isn`t doing its periodic scan is it? Try opening Defender and updating the sigs from the GUI.

Something you could try is excluding the file MsMpEmg.exe from being scanned. This has been reported on a few times, its a supposed fix to stop Defender scanning its own process...

def.png

I've got some machines that cannot get a network connection for a good amount of time after login; however, I have found that if I disable, or uninstall Forefront/defender/whatever then there's no network issue. Log in, and network connection almost immediately.

After 2 restarts seems to stay at 0 at no activity..which makes me think it was about that scanning. Anyway..as an only security solution, Defender it's ok ? 

1 minute ago, Cosmin said:

After 2 restarts seems to stay at 0 at no activity..which makes me think it was about that scanning. Anyway..as an only security solution, Defender it's ok ? 

It's better than nothing I suppose. It always brings up the rear in various AV tests.

Couple it with the rest of the built in technologies which Windows 10 has and its not to bad, smartscreen should stop unknown executables from running system wide. AV tests always turn off smartscreen when testing Defender which to me is weird as its part of the native security package, like Defender.

Maybe use Sandboxie for your browsing if you go to any dodgy sites, plus the usual add ons ;)

Hello,

You did not mention the type of processor or its speed, but perhaps Windows Defender was doing something which was CPU intensive at the time you checked.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky