UEFI can not find Windows installation on my SSD

• MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

I had a previous SanDisk SSD boot drive go bad (again) so I installed Windows 10 on a new Samsung SSD, formatted the SanDisk SSD from within Windows and then disconnected the SanDisk SSD, ready for RMA.

I've set the motherboard to only try to boot from one device, the Samsung SSD. All other boot options are disabled.

When the PC is turned on, I get: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

Opening the boot menu upon startup (F11 with my motherboard) and selecting the Samsung SSD doesn't help.

I've booted from Windows 10 installation media and used the fixmbr and fixboot commands and I still get the same issue upon reboot.

The scanos command does find the OS.

I have tried restoring "Optimized Defaults" in the UEFI with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Elliot B.

4 minutes ago, exotoxic said:

CSM enabled/disabled??

No idea what that means.

Under UEFI > Settings > Boot > Boot mode select, I've tried LEGACY+UEFI (default) and UEFI with no success.

Did you install Windows without the Sandisk installed?  With Windows 7 and 8, sometime it would write boot information to the secondary drive.  It's best to leave ONLY the boot drive you want in the machine.

3 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

Did you install Windows without the Sandisk installed?  With Windows 7 and 8, sometime it would write boot information to the secondary drive.  It's best to leave ONLY the boot drive you want in the machine.

Windows was installed on the Samsung SSD whilst the SanDisk SSD was connected.

Is there a way to re-write boot information to the Samsung SSD?

There's a fully functioning Windows 10 installation on the Samsung SSD.

1 minute ago, farmeunit said:

10 does it too. lost an HDD and did not  realize that the boot info was on it and not on my SSD

Hope you have install media and reinstall windows 

Just now, CrossCheck said:

is it formatted as a GPT partition? UEFI wont recognize it without GPT

How can I find out?

Just now, Anibal P said:

10 does it too. lost an HDD and did not  realize that the boot info was on it and not on my SSD

Hope you have install media and reinstall windows 

I was thinking it was still present, but couldn't remember.

@Elliot B. It is possible, I think, but it's been forever since I messed with it.  If you're not too far into your new installation, you might just start over, as Anibal P mentioned.

You might try:

https://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/241974-system-wont-boot-after-removing-second-hard-drive-efi.html

There are several suggestions.

3 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

I was thinking it was still present, but couldn't remember.

@Elliot B. It is possible, I think, but it's been forever since I messed with it.  If you're not too far into your new installation, you might just start over, as Anibal P mentioned.

You might try:

https://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/241974-system-wont-boot-after-removing-second-hard-drive-efi.html

There are several suggestions.

I really don't want to reinstall Windows again, if I can help it.

I'll read the advice in that link.

Well, if your system is UEFI fixmbr wont do anything for it.

Here are three things you can try in order to fix it

Repair the BCD and Replace Core Windows UEFI Boot Files (7/8/8.1/RT/10 - GPT/UEFI)

NOTE: The path in the command below assumes the OS is located at c:\windows and that the EFI System Partition is assigned S:\. Make sure to adjust the path for your unit.

Boot into Windows RE for the OS you are repairing

Launch Command Prompt

Execute the following command: bcdboot c:\windows

Once bcdboot completes, exit Command Prompt and reboot the computer.

Force Repair the BCD and Replace Core Windows UEFI Boot Files (7/8/8.1/RT/10 - GPT/UEFI)

NOTE: This repair process is similar to the previous section except it forces BCDBoot to repair the files using the firmware type you specify.

NOTE: The path in the command below assumes the OS is located at c:\windows and that the EFI System Partition is assigned S:\. Make sure to adjust the path for your unit.

Launch Command Prompt

Execute the following command to rebuild to Core Windows UEFI Boot Components: bcdboot c:\windows /s s: /f UEFI

Execute the following command updated the Windows Boot Manager entry in UEFI NVRAM: bcdboot c:\windows

Once bcdboot completes, exit Command Prompt and reboot the computer.

Manually Rebuilding the EFI System Partition (7/8/8.1/RT/10 - GPT/UEFI)

NOTE: The following command assumes the units EFI System Partition is on Partition 2 of disk 0 and that it's already a GPT disk. It also assumes the units OS is located at c:\windows. Make sure to adjust the path for your unit.

Launch Command Prompt

Execute the following command to enter a DiskPart session: diskpart

Execute the following DiskPart commands:

select disk 0

format quick fs=fat32 label="EFI"

set id="C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B"

gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001

assign letter="S"

exit

Execute the following command to rebuild to Core Windows UEFI Boot Components: bcdboot c:\windows /s s: /f UEFI

Execute the following command to update the Windows Boot Manager entry in the UEFI Boot Manager in NVRAM: bcdboot c:\windows

Exit Command Prompt

Reboot the computer

• Like 2

Regarding the first one, I launched CMD from a bootable USB flash drive and entered bcdedit c:\windows (which does exist and in that location) and I get "Failure when attempting to copy boot files"

Regarding the second one, I launched CMD from a bootable USB flash drive and entered bcdedit c:\windows /s c: /f UEFI and I get "Boot files successfully created". I am rebooting now.

Boom, that did it, you sexy little thing! Thank you!

9 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

Regarding the first one, I launched CMD from a bootable USB flash drive and entered bcdedit c:\windows (which does exist and in that location) and I get "Failure when attempting to copy boot files"

Regarding the second one, I launched CMD from a bootable USB flash drive and entered bcdedit c:\windows /s c: /f UEFI and I get "Boot files successfully created". I am rebooting now.

Boom, that did it, you sexy little thing! Thank you!

Glad you were able to fix your issue

One command I had never heard of but turned out to be quite useful is Bcdboot C:\windows (C Being the drive letter of the drive).  I had heard of bcdboot just not pointing it to the windows directory. After I ran that command on a system one time it found the windows install and configured it in my boot list and windows could boot again.

Ah, I see you fixed it... woohoo!

10 minutes ago, warwagon said:

One command I had never heard of but turned out to be quite useful is Bcdboot C:\windows (C Being the drive letter of the drive).  I had heard of bcdboot just not pointing it to the windows directory. After I ran that command on a system one time it found the windows install and configured it in my boot list and windows could boot again.

Ah, I see you fixed it... woohoo!

I did! :)

Shame it means updates are no longer possible :laugh: