9 year old P6T Deluxe HTPC plays back 4K content

Something of a miraculous discovery. I dusted off my trusty non-overclocked P6TD (that I originally built and used for 3D work way back in 2008) in the hopes that I could stream my backed up Bluray\4K content via the terabyte arrays. To my surprise it played back my 4K version of Oblivion without a hiccup. Don't give up on your old machines!

Setup:

P6T Deluxe

i7 920 (non-overclock, stock fan)

9GB Patriot Viper Ram

nVidia GT 640

Content played back via terabyte NAS and USB3.0 drives.

Yes even first Gen i7's like the i7 920 are still great machines for almost everything, almost 9 years later. Sure they aren't as fast as new CPU's but like you said, they can still play back 4k. How much CPU was that using?

Why on earth was this surprising in any way? The i7 series of CPUs have been powerful from the start with only 5 to 10% improvement at most from every "Tick-Tock" cycle. You can easily overclock that chip into performance that will beat the vast sea of low and medium computers being mass produced in 2017.

Overclock the 920, add RAM around 32 gigs, throw in a Samsung 960 NVMe M.2 SSD and it will still do 3D design work good enough for many real world usage scenarios.

Just playing 4K video? That's just insulting the chip! :)