Problems with lag when connecting switch

So for a while now we've been having heavy random lag at my house without anyone else using.

It'd be 4 am and nobody but me awake and I'd get very heavy lag.

After multiple technicians from my internet provider came and couldnt figure it out, changing modem after modem, I tried something and it worked: I connected the modem straight to my PC.

This way I don't get this lag I'm talking about, so trying other stuff I figured out that the one who was lagging everything was the switch.

My modem has my pc, my two other brother's pcs and the switch connected.

When the lag starts, it goes from 23ms (pinging google.com) to 200-400-1k ms. And it won't stop.

But if I take out the switch (not even reseting the modem), the ping will INSTANTLY go down to 23.

I can't leave it disconnected though, because I live with my parents and 3 brothers, and the switch (if im not mistaken) is responsible for the wifi and a couple other computers.

I've tried using another switch that works perfectly for other people, but it does the same.

I've also tried connecting just the switch (with nothing connected on the switch itself), and it still lags out.

Also changed the wifi password, and I KNOW (please stop asking this) that there is nobody downloading anything...

Not home right now so can't post some pictures i took of this, but will do when I get there.

Please help!

"the switch (if im not mistaken) is responsible for the wifi and a couple other computers."

Switches don't do wifi..  What is the model of them this "switch" your using.. It should have a model number or something on it.. Take a picture of this device and post it here.. And also a drawing of how you have it connected to your modem (what is the make and model of that device as well) and then your other devices.

Well the Wifi stops working after I disconnect the switch. I think its connected to a signal spread of some kind.

I thought it was a faulty switch too, so I borrowed one that works and it gets the same problem.

I am not exactly sure of everything connected to the modem/switches (it wasnt me who did the networks here nor do I have the knowledge to), but this is what I know:

mad paint skills ahead

Sem_t_tulo.png

This is what I know and can describe:

All of the lines drawn are ethernet cables connected, those I know for sure are connected like that.

On the second floor the computers are connected to what I'll say is a switch but i don't really know, what I know is that whatever it is, its connected to the switch on my room (third floor). Phones in the second floor get good wi-fi and the computers there get normal LAN internet connection.

Of the 3 computers in the third floor, mine and another one is connected straight to the modem and the other one is in the switch. There is also a ps4 there connected to the switch sometimes.

The switch also connects to something I'll call signal spread (maybe its another switch, I also don't know) in the room upstairs. There is a home theather setup there, with a computer. The computer is either connected to what I called signal spread in the drawing, or its wifi, I don't remember now.
Unfortunately I checked this topic when I was home and noone had answered, and I checked it again at work and got these answers. I can give more info when I'm at home, but the drawing is the gist of it.

What really bugs me is that at first I also thought the switch was faulty,so I got a new one. Same problem.

So I thought whatever was connected to the switch was faulty right? I unplug everything from the switch and connect it like that (just switch +2 pcs on modem, and nothing connected to the switch except the modem), and I got the same problem.

Edit: the switch I disconnect for the testings is the one in the third floor. My computer is one of the two connected straigh to the modem in the third floor.

What is the make and model of these devices?

What is the make and model of your "modem" your "switches" - have no idea what your calling signal spread?  Is that and wifi AP or you just saying signal is being used there?

What you have posted shows NO wifi.. You need to post what the make and model of your hardware switch,modems, etc.. are..

Ok here we go, modem:

modem.jpg

modm2.jpg

Modem connections:

modem3.jpg

3blues = 3 pc's, 1yellow = switch

Switch we're using right now and currently connected:

switch12.jpg

connections: 

switch11.jpg

Blues goes into top floor, bottom floor and idk where, yellow goes to modem and gray is PS4.

Switch we used before this one (that has the same problem):

switch21.jpg

switch22.jpg

This one is disconnected.

Switch on the fourth floor (which I don't really know why you need since the switch keeps lagging even when nothing else is connected to it, but here it goes):

switch31.jpg

switch32.jpg

As I thought, the computer upstairs is using wifi. The only connection in this one goes to the switch here.

Couldnt take pictures of the one downstairs because its all locked, but if you need me to i'll do it tomorrow.

For reference, this is a picture of my problem:

17668693_10207435005467021_95331775_o.pn

the blue text says "same connection, I didnt reset the modem"

That is not a switch.. That is a wifi router, your using as AP?

What is the config on that AP.. Do you have its dhcp server turned off?  What is its IP.

Where are the switches used in your drawing - the one switch is old 10/100 - VERY SLOW.. your other switch is gig..   That tplink archer C8 is gig ports. Your modem only has 10/100 ports..

What speed of internet are you suppose to have?  With a 10/100 modem - there is no possible way you could ever get above say 90mbps tops..  Even with a wire.

I don't need a picture just need the MODEL number!!  Who makes it..  But we need to know what hardware your working with and what IPs they have.. What switch are you taking out and then your pings are good??  Please mark on your drawing what switch is where?

What device are you missing your drawing only shows the number of devices you have posted.  But which device is where in your drawing?

Your modem or "gateway" since its a modem/router has SLOW wifi.. 300mbps - I would f'ing die trying to use that ;)  Like watching paint dry... 2.4.. Hope you have its wifi off and just using it as modem??  And you use your C8 for wifi??

Again what speed of internet are you suppose to have?  What do you pay for??  What devices do you have that are wifi?  Can they use AC or 5ghz N?  What speed of nics do you have in your wired devices?  Unless they are really really OLD.. I would have to hope they are gig..  But your modem is only 10/100 and that 1008D is only 10/100 as well..

Ok, so I'll answer what I can/know.

The models names/numbers are all in the pictures, but here it is. Use the drawing as a reference:

The modem in the third floor room in this one: TD-W9970 (https://www.google.com.br/search?q=td-w9970&oq=td-w9970&aqs=chrome..69i57.38364j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)

What I've been calling "switch", in the third room are these: the one currently connected is DES-1008D (https://www.google.com.br/search?q=des-1008d&oq=des-1008d&aqs=chrome..69i57.208j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) and the one we used before (both of them give the same lag) is GX-D1081 (https://www.google.com.br/search?q=gx+d1081&oq=gx+d1081&aqs=chrome..69i57.801j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8).

The one I called signal spread in the fourth floor is Archer C8 (https://www.google.com.br/search?q=archer+c8&oq=archer+c8&aqs=chrome..69i57.3260j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8).

The "switch" in the drawing in the bottom floor I didn't get a picture of.

I am supposed to have 10mb internet connection, which is what I get when the switch is not connected to the modem. When I connect it  I get ###### ping and high jitter, usualy goes down to 2-4mb.

As far as I know the ip's are 192.0.0.1 for the modem and 192.0.1.1 for the "switch" in my room.

Do a www.speedtest.net

What you should be getting and what you are getting is 2 different things.

The switches you have posted are unmanaged and do not get IP addresses. 

The thing you are calling a modem is actually your router as well. It is the 'base' of your network. Since you've said that the connection works fine there, we can assume that device works OK.

Try this: Connect your PC to the switch, then the switch to the router (the first TP-Link), then the router to the modem. Do NOT connect anything else. Unplug all other cables.

How is the ping/connection then?

The first switch you posted is only 10/100 and is rather old. You should use that Asus Gigabit switch instead.

My guess is that you have a loopback situation going on. Two cables making the same connection, basically. Thats why I want you to test with all other cables disconnected.

If it is bad with nothing else connected, then the switch or cable is faulty. Try a different cable from your PC to the switch, and from the switch to the router. Test again.

192.0.0 ???

No, your not using Dual-Stack Lite which a way to tunnel ipv6 over ipv4..  Do you mean 192.168.x.x, and if your other router/access point was 192.0.1.1 what is your mask??  That is sure and the F not right..

Is there really that much of a language barrier when I ask a simple question of what device is where????

Here is a actual usable drawing what you gave..

yournetwork.thumb.png.9ae0e7ce6ce727abbef5f4e0cb0b0d86.png

So is that 1008D correctly placed?  What is that switch connected to it?  What are the IPs of your devices..  Its not 192.0.something..  If it is that is REALLY F'd up!!

go on one of your windows machines and do an ipconfig /all

Where are you doing this testing from which device.. Is it one of the wired PC's or a wireless PC..  Are you running 2 different SSIDs on your 2 wireless routers or do you have the wifi off on your tplink modem?  You don't have your PCs connected via wifi and wire at the same do you?? 

Can not even begin to help you figure out what is wrong without some basic understand of how your connected.  Is there some other switch.. I don't give a ###### about the model of the device that is not connected..  You mention some downstairs - your drawing doesn't say anything about downstairs..

As episode mentions you prob have some sort of loop.. So we need to know what is actually connected to what and how you have your wifi setup.. For all we know you have your Archer setup as a wireless client to your tplink and you have a loop between your wired and wireless network..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, episode said:

The switches you have posted are unmanaged and do not get IP addresses. 

The thing you are calling a modem is actually your router as well. It is the 'base' of your network. Since you've said that the connection works fine there, we can assume that device works OK.

Try this: Connect your PC to the switch, then the switch to the router (the first TP-Link), then the router to the modem. Do NOT connect anything else. Unplug all other cables.

How is the ping/connection then?

The first switch you posted is only 10/100 and is rather old. You should use that Asus Gigabit switch instead.

My guess is that you have a loopback situation going on. Two cables making the same connection, basically. Thats why I want you to test with all other cables disconnected.

If it is bad with nothing else connected, then the switch or cable is faulty. Try a different cable from your PC to the switch, and from the switch to the router. Test again.

I'll test what you said, but I don't understand what you mean by switch to router to modem.

There is only 2 devices here near my pc, what I said is the modem (TD-W9970) and what I said is the router (either the asus or the DES-1008D).

Keep in mind that I tried all sort of connections before, with all different cables. So I have in fact tried, for instance, the "modem" connected just to my PC and the "switch", using the "switch" cable to go to my PC and my PC's cable on the switch, just to try it out. It lagged, and when I removed the "switch" cable from the modem, my PC wasn't lagged anymore (even though it had the switch's old cable, which is yellow).

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

192.0.0 ???

No, your not using Dual-Stack Lite which a way to tunnel ipv6 over ipv4..  Do you mean 192.168.x.x, and if your other router/access point was 192.0.1.1 what is your mask??  That is sure and the F not right..

Is there really that much of a language barrier when I ask a simple question of what device is where????

Here is a actual usable drawing what you gave..

yournetwork.thumb.png.9ae0e7ce6ce727abbef5f4e0cb0b0d86.png

So is that 1008D correctly placed?  What is that switch connected to it?  What are the IPs of your devices..  Its not 192.0.something..  If it is that is REALLY F'd up!!

go on one of your windows machines and do an ipconfig /all

Where are you doing this testing from which device.. Is it one of the wired PC's or a wireless PC..  Are you running 2 different SSIDs on your 2 wireless routers or do you have the wifi off on your tplink modem?  You don't have your PCs connected via wifi and wire at the same do you?? 

Can not even begin to help you figure out what is wrong without some basic understand of how your connected.  Is there some other switch.. I don't give a ###### about the model of the device that is not connected..  You mention some downstairs - your drawing doesn't say anything about downstairs..

As episode mentions you prob have some sort of loop.. So we need to know what is actually connected to what and how you have your wifi setup.. For all we know you have your Archer setup as a wireless client to your tplink and you have a loop between your wired and wireless network..

Like I said, I'm not very savvy when it comes to networks, so I got the IP wrong.

When I type them here in my browser I get:
192.168.1.1 goes to my modem/internet page "Bem-vindo ao Guia de Instalação do serviço Banda Larga ALGAR TELECOM."

192.168.1.2 goes to TP-Link Wireless Router Archer C8 page.

Any other combination I tried won't really give me anything.

There is no language barrier, I'm fluent in english, I'm not sure how I'm not clear with where the devices are. Your drawing represents exactly how it is.

I am testing on my PC, which is connected directly to the modem. Also testing on my brother's pc which is also connected to the modem. I can also feel the lag on the wifi when its happening.

I don't know what "SSIDS" are, please tell me how to verify that.

My pc can't connect to wifi. I also need help to check if the wifi is off on the routers. My phone only sees one wifi network with our name.

My drawing says that there is some sort of switch/router/whatever the correct name is downstairs, connected to 2 other PC's that is connected to the 1008D here.

The reason I didn't get the device name is because, like I said, the LAG will go on regardless of whatever is connected to the 1008D. 

I have connected the 1008D to my PC without anything connected to it at all and it still lags out, and as soon as I unplug it from the W9970 my ping goes to 20.

Keep in mind that this is not always like this. My internet was working fine (pinging 23ms constantly to google.com)  when I started typing this, and now its crap (200~300ms).

If I unplug the 1008D right now it will instantly go to 20MS. If I unplug everything from the 1008D it will still be lagging.

edit: I did some editing on your drawing, see if it helps:

yournetwork.thumb.png.9ae0e7ce6ce727abbe

Edited by viniciusxis

Oh my Fing Gawd!

"e (even though it had the switch's old cable, which is yellow)."

Really???  Who gives a ###### what the color of the gawd damn cable is... See the device that you have now labeled downstairs.. What is that device???

The drawing is correct.. There are no other devices connected.. And if you disconnect the downstream connections to the other switch and archer C8 traffic is still bad.. But then if you unplug connection to 1008D its now good??

That 1008D is OLD and 10/100 - I would get a new gig switch.. But your saying if you borrow a switch and use it where the 1008D is just plugged into the port on your modem its bad.. With nothing connected to it.. Like your last drawing with the red X's.. And with a known good cable?  Use the cable from say your bro's machine or your machine..

What if you get a different switch and plug it into a different port on your modem?

11 hours ago, BudMan said:

Oh my Fing Gawd!

"e (even though it had the switch's old cable, which is yellow)."

Really???  Who gives a ###### what the color of the gawd damn cable is... See the device that you have now labeled downstairs.. What is that device???

The drawing is correct.. There are no other devices connected.. And if you disconnect the downstream connections to the other switch and archer C8 traffic is still bad.. But then if you unplug connection to 1008D its now good??

That 1008D is OLD and 10/100 - I would get a new gig switch.. But your saying if you borrow a switch and use it where the 1008D is just plugged into the port on your modem its bad.. With nothing connected to it.. Like your last drawing with the red X's.. And with a known good cable?  Use the cable from say your bro's machine or your machine..

What if you get a different switch and plug it into a different port on your modem?

Well I don't get the agression but at least you're trying to help.

The reason I pointed out the color of the cable was to say that I did in fact try to use other cables on the switch, like mine.

Yes, when I use another switch instead of the 1008D - like the Asus one - its still bad, and yes even with nothing connected to it, and with other cables as well, I did all of that.

Also tried every single possible combinations of ports on my modem, with both switches.

I also did a test to see exactly that, if it could be a problem with the cable or the port: I connected my pc straight to the modem using the switch cable and the switch port, it worked fine.

The device downstairs is a Tp-Link TL-WR941ND, and like I said it has 3 connections: 2 PCS and one coming upstairs to the 1008D.

"And if you disconnect the downstream connections to the other switch and archer C8 traffic is still bad. But then if you unplug connection to 1008D its now good??"
^ yes, this is correct.  Say traffic is bad right now, everything is connected.

If I take everything from the switch except the one that connects it to the modem, traffic will still be bad.

If I then take the one connecting it to the modem, traffic is good.

I'll do another test I thought about later tonight: I will take everything off from the switch first, when the internet is good (actually I'll jsut restart the modem like this cause the traffic is always good at the start), and leave it plugged to the modem but without anything plugged to it.

I realized everytime I tried to take everything from the switch the traffic was already bad (I think), so this should be a good test.

Edited by viniciusxis

Plugging in a switch doesn't do anything if nothing is plugged into the switch.. What your saying makes ZERO sense..  So you say you borrowed a different switch and same thing happens.  Just the switch plugged into the modem and nothing on it??  I doubt that..

What I think is happening is you have something using up your bandwidth.. Your not much better than dialup for gosh sake.. 10mbps...   You then disconnect it by removing the connections to your other devices and you don't see any change right away so you then disconnect the switch and by that time its cleared up.

It could be possible that switch is spewing garbage on the wire.. Its possible that switch could be spewing out garage on its own.  But without sniffing traffic coming off of it hard to say... It is pretty freaking old and useless at 10/100.. So prob just get a new switch.  But you say you have the same thing when you use a different switch in place of the 1008D

So with just this connected.. Yours and your brothers machine and the 1008D connected to the modem

network.thumb.png.340af53e1283382c1f5c6e4638649c68.png

Nothing else connected... Your saying huge ping times.. This is after you reboot your modem...  And then you just remove the red wire, the one connecting tplink modem to 1008D and then everything is good..  Nothing else connected to the 1008 at any time..

11 hours ago, BudMan said:

Plugging in a switch doesn't do anything if nothing is plugged into the switch.. What your saying makes ZERO sense..  So you say you borrowed a different switch and same thing happens.  Just the switch plugged into the modem and nothing on it??  I doubt that..

What I think is happening is you have something using up your bandwidth.. Your not much better than dialup for gosh sake.. 10mbps...   You then disconnect it by removing the connections to your other devices and you don't see any change right away so you then disconnect the switch and by that time its cleared up.

It could be possible that switch is spewing garbage on the wire.. Its possible that switch could be spewing out garage on its own.  But without sniffing traffic coming off of it hard to say... It is pretty freaking old and useless at 10/100.. So prob just get a new switch.  But you say you have the same thing when you use a different switch in place of the 1008D

So with just this connected.. Yours and your brothers machine and the 1008D connected to the modem

network.thumb.png.340af53e1283382c1f5c6e4638649c68.png

Nothing else connected... Your saying huge ping times.. This is after you reboot your modem...  And then you just remove the red wire, the one connecting tplink modem to 1008D and then everything is good..  Nothing else connected to the 1008 at any time..

Hmmm why would I lie though? Whatever I'm saying is happening is happening, even if it doesn't make any sense. I can try to make a video if you want..

10MB is not that bad, I can stream 1080p with no lags, and play my games with 30MS. I just can't do both together.

I really don't have any other option since the only internet provider in my city refuses to get optic cable in my street (whereas all my neighbors have it).

And yes, the last drawing is correct.

Even if nothing is connected to the switch it will still lag the ###### out of my internet.

If you have a way of monitoring traffic just tell me what to do and I'll do it.

Last night I couldnt do the test I wanted so I'll try it tonight. 

Oh, and today my phone found another WiFi to connect of ours, now it shows 2: "Academia de Eventos Legacy" which is the one I usualy see and use, and "Academia de Eventos".

My brother says that the one without Legacy is a 5GHZ something like that, that my phone shouldnt see because its old (galaxy s3).

I am not saying your lying.. It makes zero sense unless the switch is broken!!  And spewing out garbage..

Make sure there is nothing else connected the switch... And nothing on wifi on your tplink.. Turn off its wifi..

So your saying just having the switch plugged in, like the above drawing.. No other cables plugged in like 2 from the switch to the modem.. Just the 1 cable.. You sure you don't have it plugged in with 2 cables to the mdoem??

And you say just like the above drawing, you unplug the 1 cable and your internet is working.  Plug in the 1 cable to a different port even on the modem and bad... Even if use use a different switch than the 1008D.. Same thing..

And no offense.. But 10Mbps is SLOW!!!  I would put a gun to my head ;) heheheh

Slow is a matter of perspective.

Yeah it only has one cable connecting it to the mode,.

I don't know how to turn the wifi off, but if you feel like there's someone on it downloading - there's not, this happens at completely random times.

Yeah the last phrase is correct, in fact you said so much ###### about the 1008D that I switched back to the asus (its still lagging/bad).

2 hours ago, viniciusxis said:

Slow is a matter of perspective.

To some, yes. To BudMan, #### no... He knows his stuff.

Well I would upgrade my speed if I could, but 10mb is the best my provider can get me, so thats the fastest possible in perspective.

I don't think its the cable, since I've tried every possible combination and the one conecting the switch to the modem is fairly new (the yellow one).

Isn't there any sort of test I can run to see whats causing the impossible lag?

1 hour ago, viniciusxis said:

Well I would upgrade my speed if I could, but 10mb is the best my provider can get me, so thats the fastest possible in perspective.

I don't think its the cable, since I've tried every possible combination and the one conecting the switch to the modem is fairly new (the yellow one).

Isn't there any sort of test I can run to see whats causing the impossible lag?

umm 10mb in a router/modem does not mean that fast of ISP speed. 10/100/1000 doesn't mean it can run at 1000....

Try new cables, see if they work.

ping is about your best bet...

I just dont understand why you need so many devices for internet. 

How many devices NEED to be hard wired ? If you only have 4, then why not just use the modem and nothing else?

48 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

10mb in a router/modem does not mean that fast of ISP speed.

I think what he's saying is that his ISP only goes up to 10mbps. Mine where I live only gives me 7mbps... unfortunately... fortunately i'm buying a house where Fibre is available.

24 minutes ago, wakjak said:

I think what he's saying is that his ISP only goes up to 10mbps. Mine where I live only gives me 7mbps... unfortunately... fortunately i'm buying a house where Fibre is available.

I believe he got faster than that. I'm not looking through all his garbage to check...