0x80070003 when installing Creators Update (build 15063)

I've tried following the help on here, which is this:

Solution for error 0x80070003

In order to solve the problem with error 0x80070003 do the following:

1. Start a command prompt – Start – Run – cmd and stop the Automatic Updates service by running the command:
    net stop wuauserv

2. Next, go to the Windows directory and delete the download directory:
    cd %windir%

ren SoftwareDistribution SDTemp

3. Start the Automatic Updates service:
    net start wuauserv

4. Reset the authorization and request for new updates:
    wuauclt /resetauthorization

wuauclt /detectnow

I get this:

eb_0x80070003-1.thumb.png.6c15493c28008db6b4e7b397bae4f599.png

Any ideas?

Well for starters, the "Windows Update Service could not be stopped" so you can't do your second command. Maybe the Update service is still working in the background? Restart the PC, try again?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Well for starters, the "Windows Update Service could not be stopped" so you can't do your second command. Maybe the Update service is still working in the background? Restart the PC, try again?

It was failing at 71% of "Updating Windows 10".

I restarted, entered the commands above (successfully) and the installation is now failing at around 74%.

Hmm!

Edited by Elliot B.

I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it fixed "Service registration is missing or corrupt"

The update failed at 71% again.

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was already stopped.

I stopped the Windows Update service.

I ran the above commands again (CMD as administrator).

It is still failing at 73% of 'Updating Windows 10'.

I ran the following commands:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth ('The operation completely successfully')
  • sfc /scannow ('Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations')

Update failed at 71%.

A few standard things you might not have checked:

- make sure you have lots of free disk space on your system drive.

- make sure your hidden boot partition is the new size around 500 megs and not the old 100 megs

- Make sure any software that watches file access such as process monitors, Anti-Malware etc is turned off or uninstalled

- unplug every possible USB device that you can

- review any old hardware cards etc that have old compat mode drivers. Every major update Windows re-enumerates the hardware and sometimes old hardware drops off the support list

Also:

- Run your 6700K at its normal 4 Ghz speed (restore after install)

- slow down your RAM speed, set command per clock to 2 cycles, etc to get RAM super stable  (restore after install)

34 minutes ago, DevTech said:

A few standard things you might not have checked:

- make sure you have lots of free disk space on your system drive.

- make sure your hidden boot partition is the new size around 500 megs and not the old 100 megs

- Make sure any software that watches file access such as process monitors, Anti-Malware etc is turned off or uninstalled

- unplug every possible USB device that you can

- review any old hardware cards etc that have old compat mode drivers. Every major update Windows re-enumerates the hardware and sometimes old hardware drops off the support list

How can I check if my partitions are set correctly?

I presumed Windows 10 sorted all that out upon a clean installation.

eb_partition1.thumb.png.67085fe6f78883b1415941b9e3154374.png

eb_partition2.thumb.png.138d62d1d9031fdca67331d0ca393941.png

10 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

How can I check if my partitions are set correctly?

I presumed Windows 10 sorted all that out upon a clean installation.

You didn't opt for the default install where Windows makes a 500 meg boot partition on c:

I know you can get weird upgrade errors if that is too small but no idea if it can be an issue when it is non-existent.

Your partition layout is definitely off. I would just nuke it and start over, looks like you have permissions issues on this install as well judging by your first post. Nuke it, but remove all those other drives before you do the new install.

Capture.PNG

28 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Your partition layout is definitely off. I would just nuke it and start over, looks like you have permissions issues on this install as well judging by your first post. Nuke it, but remove all those other drives before you do the new install.

Capture.PNG

It will be because the extra partitions were mistakenly (by Windows, not me) placed on a second SSD, one that was removed due to RMA.

8 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

It will be because the extra partitions were mistakenly (by Windows, not me) placed on a second SSD, one that was removed due to RMA.

I know you are hoping to avoid a re-install but you messed up and destroyed your  partition layout and really can't expect Windows Upgrade to use AI or something to figure out what you did wrong - the AI upgrade is coming in 2030...

There probably is a way to repair everything but the time to figure it out would exceed the re-install most likely. 

as others have said, your running up to a clean install scenario mate.

@Devtech is correct buddy.

W10 setup doesnt like GPTs much atm, when you have multiple drives in GPT, you must nuke or remove them from the system when reinstalling, otherwise Windows setup bombs out.

its caught me out a couple of times, to the point, when i redo my games rig back when all 4 ran as AHCI with GPT, ( which is now 2x2 RAID0 ssd volumes) i always nuke all and redo, just easier than trying to fix the wierd issues it can cause by not nuking all connected devices.