W10 updates changing settings.

Hi folks :)  I continue to read on sites that users are still experiencing their settings being changed with the Creators Update and further back with the Anniversary Update. I personally have not had this occur on either on my W10 devices. Both of my installs were custom installs and I wonder if that is why my settings have not been changed. Are users settings still being changed with the Creators Update without custom installs? Thank You.

Hello,

It might have something to do with which settings were changed.  I found a few settings changed on my system after installing the Windows 10 Creators Update, but others remained the same.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Most of the settings are getting an MS reset are either App or Privacy related and it is really annoying. Happens every time there is a large update. The only thing that helps is uninstalling the offending apps by using either powershell or a 3rd party utility like Bulk Crap uninstaller. 

+goretsky and Yogurth, do you think my machines don't suffer the changes due to them being custom installs though? That's the question I'm curious about.

15 hours ago, Yogurth said:

Most of the settings are getting an MS reset are either App or Privacy related and it is really annoying. Happens every time there is a large update. The only thing that helps is uninstalling the offending apps by using either powershell or a 3rd party utility like Bulk Crap uninstaller. 

If they were registry hacks, that is expected. Also, it asks for privacy settings again when installing. What is the possibility that they are changing how they answer from before, intentionally or not?

I know I didn't have any app or privacy changes when i updated my laptop.

Hello,

I always do a custom installation of Windows 10 on my personal systems, as well as some at work.  I change various default settings when asked about them during the installation, when logging on for the first time, etc.

This does not change the upgrade from restoring some settings to their defaults.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

If they were registry hacks, that is expected. Also, it asks for privacy settings again when installing. What is the possibility that they are changing how they answer from before, intentionally or not?

I know I didn't have any app or privacy changes when i updated my laptop.

Perhaps You haven't turned off Apps access to contacts, location...etc in the previous build, but these are not registry fixes, rather each option has a switch built into settings panel. Even if these were only registry switches it would mean that the option is built into Windows and is available for administration purposes, should not have seen the reset either, imho. 

It is just like Goretsky says.

1 hour ago, Yogurth said:

Perhaps You haven't turned off Apps access to contacts, location...etc in the previous build, but these are not registry fixes, rather each option has a switch built into settings panel. Even if these were only registry switches it would mean that the option is built into Windows and is available for administration purposes, should not have seen the reset either, imho. 

It is just like Goretsky says.

I don't use modern apps so...I remove all I can and location is set to off. It never is re-enabled for me. 

24 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I don't use modern apps so...I remove all I can and location is set to off. It never is re-enabled for me. 

I guess that makes Windows 10 a buggy OS with a buggy upgrade procedure since there is no consistency.

6 hours ago, Yogurth said:

I guess that makes Windows 10 a buggy OS with a buggy upgrade procedure since there is no consistency.

I guess? It's the same behavior on other machines I've updated as well. 

seems experiment ain't well-organized to jump on conclusion that fast: here needs to have different configurations to test, then list all options before & after.