Office Outlook 2016 issue.

Question

So I have Microsoft Office installed and use Outlook.

Something must have changed because when it's trying to send or get mail, this is what it says:

Synchronizing subscribed folders for myemail@gmail.com.

Past three days, left it on to do it's thing for hours,  it never completes. 

I've removed the accounts and re added them and still have the issue.

9 answers to this question

Looks like an issue with IMAP4 support - do you have any OTHER IMAP4 accounts?

I have two of them - GMail and my ISP - that use IMAP4; I have had no issues with Outlook on that front.  (I have no issues with Windows Mail (Windows 8.x and later) either.)

As a test, plug the account into Windows Mail and see if this repeats itself (Windows Mail explicitly support IMAP4, as does Outlook - therefore, it's a fair test.)

1 minute ago, PGHammer said:

Looks like an issue with IMAP4 support - do you have any OTHER IMAP4 accounts?

I have two of them - GMail and my ISP - that use IMAP4; I have had no issues with Outlook on that front.  (I have no issues with Windows Mail (Windows 8.x and later) either.)

As a test, plug the account into Windows Mail and see if this repeats itself (Windows Mail explicitly support IMAP4, as does Outlook - therefore, it's a fair test.)

I have another gmail account, it is working.   I used the windows 10 outlook to get my mail in the meantime and  it has worked.

That is why I suggested using another mail program as a check - in case the issue was program-specific.  Glad that you are now sorted.

2 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

That is why I suggested using another mail program as a check - in case the issue was program-specific.  Glad that you are now sorted.

Sorry, I should have been more clear,  it worked for the windows 10 outlook version.  The office version is still not working.

Just now, Dane said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear,  it worked for the windows 10 outlook version.  The office version is still not working.

In short, Windows 10 Mail (and Outlook.com) work, but Office Outlook does not.  That makes it an Office 2016 Outlook issue.  Can you uninstall/reboot/reinstall Outlook 2016 by itself (since that is the only deranged program, I am assuming)?

Just now, PGHammer said:

In short, Windows 10 Mail (and Outlook.com) work, but Office Outlook does not.  That makes it an Office 2016 Outlook issue.  Can you uninstall/reboot/reinstall Outlook 2016 by itself (since that is the only deranged program, I am assuming)?

I shall give that a try.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, Dane said:

So I reinstalled office, opened outlook, it opened to all the old settings still there and accounts.

The issue remains.

It sounds like uninstalling Office didn't delete account settings saved in your user profile.

Create a new user in Windows. Add your gmail account manually in Office using that account to check whether the issue is reproducible, or whether there is a user-specific configuration that is causing it. You can delete the new user afterwards.