Geforce 8400 GS 512MB (old PCI card)

Hey guys, I found a Geforce 8400 GS 512 at the thrift shop.  I didn't buy it yet ($10) but wondering how well it handles if coupled with a an Intel Q6600 4GB setup. (instead of using the onboard vid) What's the max comfortable game playable for it? I'll be dual booting win7/10    7 for the drivers/compat for games etc.. but win10 because the kids still enjoy their minecraft and I think win10's default driver should be enough for at least that, ya?

22 minutes ago, Izlude said:

Hey guys, I found a Geforce 8400 GS 512 at the thrift shop.  I didn't buy it yet ($10) but wondering how well it handles if coupled with a an Intel Q6600 4GB setup. (instead of using the onboard vid) What's the max comfortable game playable for it? I'll be dual booting win7/10    7 for the drivers/compat for games etc.. but win10 because the kids still enjoy their minecraft and I think win10's default driver should be enough for at least that, ya?

What games?  You're talking about a card that was released ... what ... 10 years ago or so?  I guess it would play Minecraft decently ... not sure about much else (well games that have been released in the last 10 years).  

Anyway, only $10 ... so it probably wouldn't hurt to try. :) I'm sure it is better than whatever the onboard is.

Edit:  And PCI ... are you sure it isn't PCIe ?

4 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Edit:  And PCI ... are you sure it isn't PCIe ?

I was wondering that as well...

Yea just a regular old PCI card :p  I'll have to grab it tomorrow, the check posts tomorrow.  Just wondering if that, or wait for a 4600 card which is way more. bah

I wouldn't touch the PCI version and even then the only good thing for the PCIe version is web browsing and FB games nothing more 

Hello,

It might possibly be an upgrade over the on-board video, depending upon what that is.  It is certainly not a high-end gaming video card, not even when it was released.  I used to use them to support adding a second or third monitor for things like word processing and web browsing, and they worked great for that.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Like others have mentioned, @ $10 - its really a no loss scenario... even if it doesnt work, its only $10.

If it gives a little boost, then it was worth it.  But dont expect much. :/

As for the driver, I would still use the nVidia one (if its still supported)

5 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

It might possibly be an upgrade over the on-board video, depending upon what that is.  It is certainly not a high-end gaming video card, not even when it was released.  I used to use them to support adding a second or third monitor for things like word processing and web browsing, and they worked great for that.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

the Q6600 had an intel HD graphics iirc, the bandwidth of PCI on any card would be a big limiting factor, but the 8400gs is a pretty weak card in general, hard to guage which would be faster, the onboard or that card tbvh. the board should have PCI-E if so look out a cheaper NV720GT or above, for approx 2x the cost. A few generations newer.

I'll go grab it today if it's still there.  Games would include American McGee's Alice, All Dead Spaces and Bio Shocks, Cry1 and 2, Jericho, and a few others no more demanding than the previous.  I found a vid of it running on a P4 2.8 system,  which I might even put it on if I find a better card for cheaps down the line for the Q6600 system.

I also came across a 6200 256MB AGP for the same price.

1 hour ago, CrashGordon said:

Don't bother with the AGP card unless you need it for a  ANCIENT machine. Those have been dead for ages.

Are you kidding? The AGP card will be faster than the PCI (NOT PCI-E) one he's getting! PCI graphics cards have been dead longer. Personally I wouldn't bother with the 8400, it was plagued with solder problems, both their laptop 8400M GS and the desktop variant.

Just look here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/508434/why-are-you-neglecting-the-8400gs-customers-38-users-8400gs-nvidia-solution-problem-fail-fix-vi/

Take it from me too, I reballed TONS of the older nVidia Solder Plague cards. Junk.

7 hours ago, Tidosho said:

Are you kidding? The AGP card will be faster than the PCI (NOT PCI-E) one he's getting! PCI graphics cards have been dead longer. Personally I wouldn't bother with the 8400, it was plagued with solder problems, both their laptop 8400M GS and the desktop variant.

Just look here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/508434/why-are-you-neglecting-the-8400gs-customers-38-users-8400gs-nvidia-solution-problem-fail-fix-vi/

Take it from me too, I reballed TONS of the older nVidia Solder Plague cards. Junk.

I wouldn't get either one personally, but ok.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2017 at 7:32 AM, xendrome said:

Q6600 didn't have any GPU on die.

No; however, in certain setups, it was chained to either G31 (Bear Lake) or G41 (Eagle Lake) chipsets - notably DELL Inspiron desktops.  While Q6600 has plenty of pep, both G-series Intel chipsets were about as overclockable as blocks of cement - in other words, they weren't.  You could find both G-series in either PCI-only or either AGP (G3x) or PCIe (G41) configurations - I had a PCIe ASUS G41-chipset LGA775-driven mATX motherboard that lasted from Windows 8 through to 10; that was the one that fell down not quite two years back due to PSU failure).  It depends on what the plans are for the hardware.  It would be great for Office (or an Android emulator box), however, I wouldn't expect to do even light gaming (non-Android) on it.

I know its more expensive, but if you have a PCIE slot, put a damn 1030 in it. 

8400GS....Why would you do this to yourself and family?

And if you want to stream, swap in an RX550 (AMD) or GTX1050 (nVidia).

5 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

And if you want to stream, swap in an RX550 (AMD) or GTX1050 (nVidia).

Just a hunch, but I don't he'd see the potential of a 1050 with a Q6600,  Some configs of the 550 might require a power pin connector. If this is a prebuilt, I'd stick to the power-sipping, NVidia cards. The 1030 is a whopping 35 watts.

Just now, slamfire92 said:

Just a hunch, but I don't he'd see the potential of a 1050 with a Q6600, 

I was referring strictly to streaming - in order to do it without taxing the Q6600, you need GPU supporting hardware-based streaming, and unless you buy a refurb, RX or GTX are the only options.

8 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

I was referring strictly to streaming - in order to do it without taxing the Q6600, you need GPU supporting hardware-based streaming, and unless you buy a refurb, RX or GTX are the only options.

Gotcha.

1030 for $72

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137140&cm_re=1030-_-14-137-140-_-Product

1050 for $99

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137058&cm_re=1050_gtx-_-14-137-058-_-Product

And with the spread that small, the GTX1050 makes better money sense (and especially with the GT 1030 NOT supporting hardware streaming).

In fact, the 4GB Mini (same brand, same physical size as the 2GB version) is $136.84 - same page; select 4GB Mini.

3 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

And with the spread that small, the GTX1050 makes better money sense (and especially with the GT 1030 NOT supporting hardware streaming).

I found some cheaper prices on Newegg after posting, so I edited. If streaming or planning to get a newer PC soon, then the 1050 would be better. I get the feeling  this guy just wants something that'll run some basic games for his kids, though.

The main reason I personally prefer Amazon to Newegg.com is because  my mom is a Prime member (which means shipping typically costs nit).  Given enough lead time, I can even pick up @ Amazon@CollegePark - which means next-day at WORST - and the shipping is still nit.

5 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

The main reason I personally prefer Amazon to Newegg.com is because  my mom is a Prime member (which means shipping typically costs nit).  Given enough lead time, I can even pick up @ Amazon@CollegePark - which means next-day at WORST - and the shipping is still nit.

We also have Prime. It gets old though sifting through the junk sellers asking stupid prices for abundant/ancient tech. Its getting worse by the day. Also annoying is when a product sells for X amount and the seller jacks the price up just because someone uploads a YT vid of it. Happens a lot with what are supposed to be cheap mechanical keyboards.

Just now, slamfire92 said:

We also have Prime. It gets old though sifting through the junk sellers asking stupid prices for abundant/ancient tech. Its getting worse by the day. Also annoying is when a product sells for X amount and the seller jacks the price up just because someone uploads a YT vid of it. Happens a lot with what are supposed to be cheap mechanical keyboards.

I use two junk-cleaners - I eliminate anyone NOT using Amazon for fulfillment, and I also eliminate overseas sellers (same reason).

Your ZOTAC link made it through the gauntlet for one reason - Amazon.com itself was the seller.