Repurposing Old Hard Drives

I have the following, laying around, collecting dust.

Crucial MX100 128GB SSD

Samsung 840 120GB SSD

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

WD Black 1.5TB HDD

WD Blue 500GB HDD

WD Caviar WD6400AAKS (640GB) HDD

WD Caviar WD3200AAKS (320GB) HDD

I do have a spare C2D E2140 CPU and board. But it only has 4 SATA ports.

If so, what can I use this for? I don't really need a second computer. And I save all my files on  2x3TB WD MyBook external drive. Don't really need a HTPC, as I have a ROKU on our TV.

I really can't sell it for any money. Just toss it by the street and say "free HDDs"? :laugh:

I'm sure I can put the SSD's in a RAID 0 or 10.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, so a Synology or HP Prolient isn't an option here.

11 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have the following, laying around, collecting dust.

Crucial MX100 128GB SSD

Samsung 840 120GB SSD

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

WD Black 1.5TB HDD

WD Blue 500GB HDD

I do have a spare C2D E2140 CPU and board. But it only has 4 SATA ports.

If so, what can I use this for? I don't really need a second computer. And I save all my files on  2x3TB WD MyBook external drive. Don't really need a HTPC, as I have a ROKU on our TV.

I really can't sell it for any money. Just toss it by the street and say "free HDDs"? :laugh:

I'm sure I can put the SSD's in a RAID 0 or 10.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, so a Synology or HP Prolient isn't an option here.

Give them to @Mockingbird so he can 'find' new hardware and make a post about it here! :laugh: But seriously build a system with these parts and play with Linux, or MacOS, or even use as a test system for any repair jobs you might get. I know you said money was tight, but you could spend $35 and get a docking station for 2 of your drives, like this one from Anker, I have one (not the Anker) that I use for one of my old HDD that I didn't have room for in my system, and they work great.

• Like 2

Old HDD are quite handy for targets @ the gun range.  Serves 2 purposes, data destruction, and target practice.

Every old SSD that I have had, I have held on to; and when someone I know needs to speed up their old computer, I give them out.

Sure they are small, but if someone doesnt have the money to buy/build a new system & they call you saying "my computer is really slow...", you can say, "I have just the solution !"

Nice thing to hand out to people in need.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Sure they are small, but if someone doesnt have the money to buy/build a new system & they call you saying "my computer is really slow...", you can say, "I have just the solution !"

Nice thing to hand out to people in need.

I am in need of that help right now.

My computer doesn't even have an SSD.

If it were me, I would give the SSDs to people who dont specifically ask for an SSD...  but these are your SSDs.

8 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, @remixedcat wants the HDD's too... LOL

But, in all reality, I have no real use for them...

Why am I not surprised that cat wants something for free.... ?

• Like 2

Give them away (as been suggested) ... or if you have some important data ... toss it on there and secure them offsite (in case anything ever happened to the house)...which has also been suggested. :) 

You could also take out the platters and hang them from your rearview mirror (joking of course).  I have a couple of HDD magnets on the fridge ... 

• Like 1

All data on there isn't crucial. They just have old installs of Win 7, and old ######, programs, etc.

29 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Give them away (as been suggested) ... or if you have some important data ... toss it on there and secure them offsite (in case anything ever happened to the house)...which has also been suggested. :) 

You could also take out the platters and hang them from your rearview mirror (joking of course).  I have a couple of HDD magnets on the fridge ... 

Back in the technician days, we would take the platters out of bad HDDs and use them as rear view mirrors on our monitors, so we could tell when the mgr was walking up behind us :D

DISCLAIMER:  Feel I need to clarify my target practice idea.  HDDs are good for rifle practice over 50 yds, I would not recommend shooting a metal object with a bunch of tiny metal parts when practicing self-defense handgun @ 10yds...
Great size for 100-200yds.

11 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Back in the technician days, we would take the platters out of bad HDDs and use them as rear view mirrors on our monitors, so we could tell when the mgr was walking up :D

haha, great idea!

OP, if you have never taken a hard-drive apart before, I would highly recommend it. The internals are fascinating. 

I took apart an old IDE HDD. It had a bad platter, wouldn't read beyond 500MB or something. Opened it up, yep, there's a big scratch on the platter.

Also took one apart in College, too. So I'm set. Took apart my old dead OCZ SSD, too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Back in the technician days, we would take the platters out of bad HDDs and use them as rear view mirrors on our monitors, so we could tell when the mgr was walking up behind us :D

I used a laptop HD platter myself.  I also removed all the magnets from old HDs.  Those things are pretty powerful.

3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I took apart an old IDE HDD. It had a bad platter, wouldn't read beyond 500MB or something. Opened it up, yep, there's a big scratch on the platter.

Just imagine what a tiny piece of dust would do to something when it spins @ 7000rpm, and hits a needle that is just microns from a surface... like microscopic shrapnel.

Four of those drives on 4 SATA ports on your spare mobo is a working computer.

1. File server on LAN.

2. VM server on LAN and RDP to experimental O/S

3. OwnCloud server and/or Web Server

https://owncloud.org/

4. Give a computer to a family member or neighborhood kid.

5. Make a "Magic Mirror"

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/05/31/magic-mirror-hosted-web-app/

https://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/blog/Magic-Mirror-Windows-10-IoT-and-UWP-Style

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Magic-Mirror/

https://magicmirror.builders/

https://www.magicmirrorcentral.com/

Magic Mirror

On 5/18/2017 at 11:21 PM, Mindovermaster said:

All data on there isn't crucial. They just have old installs of Win 7, and old ######, programs, etc.

secure wipe the SSDs and flog them 128Gb are a perfect size for Windows SSDs. I run a pair of Samsung Evo 840s 123gbrs for Win 10 in RAID0. 

whoooosh. (2nd pair of 256s are my games partition, in RAID0 for 512GB striped)

On 5/18/2017 at 9:39 PM, techbeck said:

I used a laptop HD platter myself.  I also removed all the magnets from old HDs.  Those things are pretty powerful.

The magnets are fun to play with, just watch your fingertips. lol

On 5/18/2017 at 9:48 AM, Mindovermaster said:

Well, @remixedcat wants the HDD's too... LOL

But, in all reality, I have no real use for them...

Yes

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

To make a Magic Mirror?

She quoted me, I sense she meant yes to wanting them.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

She quoted me, I sense she meant yes to wanting them.

I got that context and was gently suggesting that wanting stuff could be fruitfully connected to usage scenarios.

One of my rare unfocused posts with very little point or utility value