Can teachers view your deleted search history on a school chrome book?

So my teacher wasn't here and we had a sub. When she was here some idiots in my class were not working on their school computers. (Each student has a user and pass) our sub complained and when our teacher returned, she wanted to see who had been on websites we weren't supposed to be on. She said she'll call a person who can login to our search history using our usernames, to the entire period. I got on my computer and cleared my history from the beginning of time. Can it still be viewed? Asking for a friend.

• Facepalm 1

Schools around here don't *let* you delete your search history.

I've no doubt they can do this considering I've seen them blacklist a Chromebook remotely without it being on their network due to search key words.

• Like 1

Yeah. Depending on how network logs are recorded, the school can correlate who was logged in when, and what data was sent/requested from which servers, from each computer on the network.

• Like 3

Just now, Nitrotoxin said:

in private browsing?

Private browsing isn't as private as you might think.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Private browsing isn't as private as you might think.

This is true I wouldn't even use a chrome book in this day and age. 

• Like 2

if your school has a web filter or proxy they probably have logs of every thing you did on the web, and most schools do and do keep logs for liability reasons

• Like 3

Odd question.  Does it matter?  The teacher will either find something or won't...doesn't matter what answer is given here.  As mentioned, Incognito will not save anyone if logs are being saved on the school network level (which they probably are).  The only way, though I'm not that familiar with Chromebooks, is if you're connected to your own network and use Incognito to cover your tracks  ... but on the school network ... busted! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitrotoxin said:

This is true I wouldn't even use a chrome book in this day and age. 

Not sure what's with the irrational ChromeOS hate, but ANY well configured corporate or educational network can log everything, regardless of OS, up to corporate policies and configuration what is or isn't logged 

And before you bring up "privacy" it's not your network they can and will scan anything they choose to scan and log, only choice is to not use it 

off topic but just wanted to ask the people who actually use a chromebook,  i don't have one at the moment and curious about one thing before i buy another one. Let me explain what I am needing it to do. On my desktop, I am signing in on 3 gmail accounts simultaneously each with their own independent windows (and settings) open. Can you do that on a chromebook or must one log out and log back in under the other account (basically 1 at a time)?

• Like 1

If you used the school network, your history is already saved.  Delete it all you want. It has been recorded elsewhere the second you visited the site. You don't have access to that area, you can't delete that area, it exists to protect the school and the students.

depending on what they implemented, they may also have a key logger, and a video recording. You will never know, the process does not show in event viewer and it doesn't get stored locally. 

dont do stupid things.  

Fwiw, I can see who logged into what computer, when, for how long, what sites, and what content was viewed. Some businesses/schools even implemented "spy" software to keep more accurate tabs on students which may or may not have had key loggers, screen recordings, application logging, email (web based or client based) logging enabled. Just know that I had access to lots of information you wouldn't want me to have and if there were an investigation and you did something wrong, I could produce enough information to convict or expel you depending on what you did. You could wipe the computer, format it, torch it, steal it, whatever you want...the recoding already took place and I don't need the computer you used to get the info. 

• 2 years later...

Well, if you happen to be bored in class and "accidentally" scroll onto a new tab and start playing a game, you can press ctrl-shift-N to load an incognito window, where your histtory isnt saved.

Thank me later    :)

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, WillMcCrea6 said:

Well, if you happen to be bored in class and "accidentally" scroll onto a new tab and start playing a game, you can press ctrl-shift-N to load an incognito window, where your histtory isnt saved.

Incognito mode only prevents history, cache files, etc from being saved on the device.

It doesn't change the fact the the network, depending on it's configuration, may still have all that info.

Even if it's http"s", it possible the school could be decrypting, and re-encrypting the traffic.

It comes down to how easy / difficult combing through all that data is to find by IT Staff and any internal policy and procedures required to initiate such search.

It can be as simple as someone asking, or an entire complex process / procedure they have to go through, with upper level management having to sign off on it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WillMcCrea6 said:

This is the thinking that gets students caught and in trouble.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WillMcCrea6 said:

You have no clue.  But think that you can hide.  Your naivety will get you in trouble.  Lots of miitm devices that can capture, lots of legitimate spyware can catch you that you will never find.  Firewalls can see into the packet and record its finding/alert staff.  Hide it on your desktop all you want, all you are doing is preventing history from being stored in the browser...the tools/devices/software don't care about your browser history or if you are in incognito mode.  If a packet leaves your computer, it is captured, destination, and what was accessed is also captured.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2017 at 11:24 AM, Sammyzenithme said:

No

I know this is late, but the correct answer is yes, they can see your search history.

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2019 at 1:43 PM, sc302 said:

You have no clue.  But think that you can hide.  Your naivety will get you in trouble.  Lots of miitm devices that can capture, lots of legitimate spyware can catch you that you will never find.  Firewalls can see into the packet and record its finding/alert staff.  Hide it on your desktop all you want, all you are doing is preventing history from being stored in the browser...the tools/devices/software don't care about your browser history or if you are in incognito mode.  If a packet leaves your computer, it is captured, destination, and what was accessed is also captured.

Ik this is late and stuff, but since it seem s like your experienced in this, do you receive a email and / or message that says if a student is searching something?

If they search something bad, do you get notified? Or do you only search if a teacher asks? I'm curious... Unless you don't do that. 

If you do work in a school, have you ever expelled somebody?

1 hour ago, Minerals said:

Ik this is late and stuff, but since it seem s like your experienced in this, do you receive a email and / or message that says if a student is searching something?

If they search something bad, do you get notified? Or do you only search if a teacher asks? I'm curious... Unless you don't do that. 

If you do work in a school, have you ever expelled somebody?

I can get alerts if it is setup to.  Lets say that I have it setup to monitor weapons, anytime something in that category is searched or touched by a certain group of people or computers I would get an alert to look into. 

Generally I only look when there is a request to, I am doing so many other things that baby sitting/watching over web logs is only as needed/requested.  I am building servers, websites, troubleshooting devices, working on increasing security, creating documentation on all of that, working on new images and/or new deployments...when is it that I have time to scan through logs of ever single person of every single site that they access, do you really think that is a good use of time with everything else going on?  Do you really think I am going to waste hours going through your specific logs day in and day out vs every other person, do you really think you particularly are worth my time over everyone elses?  There is so much to do and looking at the logs of individuals are annoying, unless I am getting paid to do just that in and out, I will only look when needed (maybe an alert if it suits me at the time it comes up/not doing anything else or that is part of my job description, most definitely when I am asked to investigate).  I have much better, more intense things to do than look over ever changing logs that can fill up pages in a matter of a tenth of a second.

4 hours ago, sc302 said:

I can get alerts if it is setup to.  Lets say that I have it setup to monitor weapons, anytime something in that category is searched or touched by a certain group of people or computers I would get an alert to look into. 

Generally I only look when there is a request to, I am doing so many other things that baby sitting/watching over web logs is only as needed/requested.  I am building servers, websites, troubleshooting devices, working on increasing security, creating documentation on all of that, working on new images and/or new deployments...when is it that I have time to scan through logs of ever single person of every single site that they access, do you really think that is a good use of time with everything else going on?  Do you really think I am going to waste hours going through your specific logs day in and day out vs every other person, do you really think you particularly are worth my time over everyone elses?  There is so much to do and looking at the logs of individuals are annoying, unless I am getting paid to do just that in and out, I will only look when needed (maybe an alert if it suits me at the time it comes up/not doing anything else or that is part of my job description, most definitely when I am asked to investigate).  I have much better, more intense things to do than look over ever changing logs that can fill up pages in a matter of a tenth of a second.

Oh wow. Now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense.. Sorry for being dumb and wasting your time. Thanks for the reply too!

14 minutes ago, Minerals said:

Oh wow. Now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense.. Sorry for being dumb and wasting your time. Thanks for the reply too!

SC posts in this forum alot... lol