Need Advice for MP4 file conversion to a DVD

Question

Hi Everyone, I sure could use some advice. I am not really too savy when it comes to computer software. What I am looking for is an easy way to convert about 15 small-ish MP4 files that I took with my phone. I got them in a file folder on my laptop & they all work fine and are great. What I was trying to do was burn a DVD that could be viewed on any DVD player. 

My first thing I did was burn a CD on my computer. Of course, it worked great on all the PCs in the house, but not on  any of the DVD players. With a little research, I found out I can't burn on my computer to view on other players & it was suggested to me to get a free video editing software that would quickly convert to a DVD. 

So I did MORE research & now I am at a standstill! There are gazillions of software out there & since I am unsure of even all the technical terms I am REALLY afraid to start downloading software when I don't feel I know what I am doing. I don't need a lot of editing, all I want is the ability to burn my video files to a DVD so they may be viewed by my children later (that is after I am 'gone'). 

I use window 8 (no I don't want to upgrade) and I have DVD players (not blue-ray). I have also read conflicting information about buying DVD-RW or DVD-R, so I am as confused as ever. ANY advice for an easy, no frills software would be so appreciated. THANK YOU for you time!!

Ann

9 answers to this question

rewritables cost more

We all have our personal preferences, I myself use AVS Video Converter, (Yes, it can compile your mp4 files into a dvd format so it'll play the files, but as I have only done this once, I can only tell you it'll continually play through) but that might be because I didn't check to see if I could set chapters.

I used to use VSO software (ConvertXtoDVD?) for making DVDs, back when that was a thing.  It will create menus for you, as well.

• Like 1

Most simple and easiest software I know is DeVeDe: https://devede.org/download/choose

I especially like how easy it is automatically fit videos if they're too big on the disk. I used it in the past to burn multiple movies on a single dvd :p

Also the menu editor is very simple and customizable enough to give it a personal touch if you like.

I have been trying to study the instructions on the Devede.org site. I am now MORE confused than before. It seems so very hard & I barely understand the terms. Plus I am not sure if I still need something else beside the Devede software.  It says it doesn't actually do the 'burning' itself but creates a disc image. I am kinda stunned that it is so hard to make a simple, no frills DVD from my everyday phone videos. Maybe I need to go back to carrying around the huge camcorder.. Any more advice????  

2 hours ago, AMHamhamh said:

I have been trying to study the instructions on the Devede.org site. I am now MORE confused than before. It seems so very hard & I barely understand the terms. Plus I am not sure if I still need something else beside the Devede software.  It says it doesn't actually do the 'burning' itself but creates a disc image. I am kinda stunned that it is so hard to make a simple, no frills DVD from my everyday phone videos. Maybe I need to go back to carrying around the huge camcorder.. Any more advice????  

After installing you can use devede to make an iso file, this is a virtual dvd, windows can burn this to a dvd or you can use a program like imgburn.

The benefit of this is that you can do the dvd conversion one day and burn it on one or multiple dvds later, so if you need another dvd you only need to burn the iso and don't need to make the whole dvd again.

The instructions on the site are mostly for the linux version.

Thank you all so much! I will definitely give this a try this long weekend and do some reading! I really appreciate your time!!

AnnaMarie

Hi,

Total Video Converter software is very convenient for editing and converting videos.

VOB is the file type most DVD players plays. Most modern DVD players also support playback of MP4 videos as well.

Anyhow if you are unsure, download Total Video Converter and browse the videos which needs to be converted to VOB format and head towards the DVD tab and select PAL or NTSC and start converting.

For burning it on DVDs, Nero or PowerISO comes in handy.

Hope this answer helps.