Roaming Profile Issue

Hello I have a question that I hope can be answered. Perhaps expert @BudMan can help.

I started helping a lawyer and she has one server running Windows 2012 and 4 PC's running Windows 7 Pro. The issue is with one user Bianca. Everytime she turns on the machine and it boots up, once she logs in the desktop is empty with no icons or anything else. She then either has to logoff and on several times or even reboot a few times until everything shows.

I believe her roaming profile is going corrupt. What can be done to fix this so it does not happen anymore? I read that a new profile should be created and then from the old one to copy over the files and that would be it but things are never as easy as it seems.

Can the profile be fixed or is it better just to create a new one? The system runs slow often too and this could be attributed to that.

Would love any links or info typed here so I can try tomorrow when I go back.

Thanks

Is this message displayed ?

tempory-profile.png

Is the user on a public network or connected to the domain ?

If everything is exactly as stated, they are using Roaming Profiles, then yes, it is better to create a new one "IF that is the issue".

1. Log her into another machine.  If it is a roaming profile issue, it will persist. 

2. If the issue did not persist, then look at the original machine.

3. Are profiles set to delete after they have been roamed off?  If not, that is more likely where the problem exists.

4. Look in the event viewer for Profile and Network issues.  "There are normally some indications in there as to partial profiles"

5. Is the Microsoft Roaming Profile solution being used?  If not, whose is it as it creates a new set of checks.

Ok will explain best as I can as im not as well versed in Domain networks. The machine is connected to a local network which uses a domain and Active Directory is running. I did not create this network another company did and the machines are Dells but several years old.

There has been some issues in the past with cables breaking and I gave them new ones for some of the machines. I also had the switch replaced with a better one running at 1Gbps although I don't think any of the machines have Gigabit ports but I wanted to make sure they have something newer with more ports and faster speeds. One day soon will take advantage of that but I do see some increases in speed with some things that are done.

It shows that the profile is roaming and I have to look into how the folders re-direct. Im going to bring in a new cable and see if that fixes issues also. I do not get the message TPreston says. I wondered why the company setup roaming profiles when no user uses another computer to work. They always work from their same computer although I can see why putting this in place in case a disaster happens they can pick up where they left off as the profile is on the server and backed up.

I have printed 4 pages of info I found thru Google to take with me there.

Im actually writing this from the PC in their office now. I notice under User Profiles that a bunch are in there. Should there not be only 2 like local and roaming?

Do you think this could be the case? Perhaps I can delete some?

every time a new user signs in it creates a local copy of the profile...every time a user signs out it saves the profile back up to the server.  Now imagine if the user profile is several terabytes of information....how long does it take for your computers to copy that information?  Yea, until the profile fully syncs it will not display anything.  Eventually a f5/refresh will show your icons once the local copy of the profile has been built.  The issue is that roaming profiles are a pain because of the size and speed of networks....you can't get them small enough or speed up the network fast enough to properly support the thought of roaming profiles.  You could disable offline files or offline caching of profiles, but it still creates a bit of a network issue.  It has been long recommended to not use roaming profiles and if anything use folder redirection...but even then the files can get huge.  Best recommendation if you must use roaming profiles is to use folder redirection with offline files turned off if they never go off site with their equipment and disable roaming profiles.

2 hours ago, sc302 said:

moved to windows server support.  

The company that was there really did a bad job with all types of things. Every Time I am there I see something new that is wrong I don't like the roaming profile for them because these are towers and they are not mobile or going anywhere

If I remove the other profiles that are there will they erase from the server also or just locally?

Also I think when I go back I will just go with local profile and backup her files first so she does not lose anything

It is to keep files and settings when users roam from computer to computer. Definitely not for offsite, bandwidth doesn't support it. I wouldn't bother removing the user profiles. It isn't hurting anything unless you really need the room. If they are roaming anyway it won't hurt anything.

Ok thanks. Then since this is the only troublesome computer I may just go local for her

Are they using roaming because they are backing up data on the server?

Roaming profiles has been a bad idea from day one.. Its not really an issue if all it saves is say your desktop shortcuts, some application settings or something.  But when profiles get large, or the network is crap then yeah they blow!!  If the users do not move about from computer to computer then there would be little reason to use roaming.

You just need to check what is being done for backup of user files...

Budman much thanks for replying. Sorry this is late.

Yes they backup on the server. You are also correct the profile is large almost 2 gigabytes and when she logs in it does take awhile to get in and this hit and miss where she sees everything in one login and in another all is missing sucks. 

The thing is just like you say they don't move around from station to station. These are towers so I still don't get totally the logic why that company did that.

I'm going to tell the office manager later this week when I see them that at least for this computer it should be changed to a local profile and not roaming to eliminate the issue. They have a local backup and a cloud backup of all important files but I will ask if there is more they are not backing up that should be 

The logic is backups. Backing up the workstations without then being on or having a backup client on them. Again this is where folder redirection is preferred. Roaming profiles is never a good thing. Redirect without offline files would be the most ideal in your use case, fast spin up, fast shut down, the ability to have files wherever they go, and the ability to back up in a single location (the server).

Ok is there a way you can send me a sample like a link or something?  So basically folder redirection, local profile and offline files off.

The majority of the files I have seen on this desktop have been on the desktop. Folder redirection will work for that even when local profile?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for your help.  I was able to make some changes and I will be next week to convert to local. When the girls is there she needs to be on the machine a lot so I have to wait.