How much privacy are you willing to give up for the sake of security?

The Saturday before Manchester bombing, I went to a concert and was given the most intrusive pat-down I've ever remembered.

My girlfriend was just staring when I was patted down.

I am a guy and I feel complete violated. (For example: Was it really necessary to search between my legs up to the you-know-what?)

I can only imagine how she feels.

This was all supposedly for the sake of security.

So I ask you: How much privacy are you willing to give up for the sake of security?

That's a pretty interesting question. My first instinct would be none. But, we live in a world where people strap bombs on their chest to kill others. Here is the issue.

People that are going to strap a bomb on their chest, or wants to shoot up a place.. patting everyone down isn't going to solve a mass killing. What it will solve is smaller altercations that may happen. Example, two people at a concert get drunk, get in a fight, one has a weapon. As for someone wanting to do an "attack", they have a plan to evade security and get in. 

That's one just type of privacy. When I think of privacy, the first thing that comes is digital privacy.  We are all aware how much the government invades our privacy. Keeping logs of everyone's calls, the internet, ect. If that worked as well as they say it does, they would have been able to map out attacks before they happened. Some of the attacks in the US, the attacker had known connections to terrorist groups. Why didn't the NSA spying machine catch on to the patterns and they shut that crap down? Either it doesn't work or the US likes spying on their citizens. I'm going with both on that. Like most laws, they hurt the law abiding citizen, making it easier for attackers.  Now, if the NSA phone spying worked, it wouldn't really bother me to KNOW that we are actually being protected. I wouldn't like it, but we live in a very ######ed up world.   

When you put the number of deaths into perspective, you realize that, despite all the sensationalized media claims, your chances of dying in a terrorist attack are already very low, at least in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and other first/second world countries...  You've got a better chance of dying from heart disease, stroke, cancer, even dying by YOUR OWN HAND than you do from a terrorist attack...  So why are so many people so willing to give away their freedom for a one in a million chance of dying, but continue to smoke their cigarettes, or eat their fatty food, or let their mental health get outta control?  It's nonsensical, and the media is to blame.  Wake up people, you aren't going to die from a terrorist attack.  You're as likely to die from that as you are of winning the powerball...  And I don't see a whole lot of those around here, so....  ;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Rev said:

When you put the number of deaths into perspective, you realize that, despite all the sensationalized media claims, your chances of dying in a terrorist attack are already very low, at least in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and other first/second world countries...  You've got a better chance of dying from heart disease, stroke, cancer, even dying by YOUR OWN HAND than you do from a terrorist attack...  So why are so many people so willing to give away their freedom for a one in a million chance of dying, but continue to smoke their cigarettes, or eat their fatty food, or let their mental health get outta control?  It's nonsensical, and the media is to blame.  Wake up people, you aren't going to die from a terrorist attack.  You're as likely to die from that as you are of winning the powerball...  And I don't see a whole lot of those around here, so....  ;)

Well of course the odds are low.

More people performing a certain action will always outnumber a smaller group.

But, ever consider the that the terrorist death percentage is low because of existing security measures?  

New York alone claims to have prevented 50+ terrorist events since 9/11; whether this is accurate is another topic.

The real question is, knowing the existing threats, are you willing to either:

- demand your rights, lowering security measures while potentially increasing terrorist death percentages, or

- forgive some rights and hopefully maintain or lower the terrorist death percentage

Besides, I see no rights actually violated.  Had the OP been FORCED to attend the venue and searched, then his rights would have been violated.  

However, he opted to go to a venue which in all likeliness has a public policy of property/person search and a list of items allowed and disallowed.

He opted to go that route and by doing so accepted and agreed to the security procedure required.

Its depressing to see "the land of the free" and "give me liberty or give me death" turn into a bunch of cowardly pu***s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TPreston said:

Its depressing to see "the land of the free" and "give me liberty or give me death" turn into a bunch of cowardly pu***s.

Reported. This is not in a free speech zone and I'm offened. 

none, if the "security" forces actually used intel they get handed to them, why should it need a loss in privacy to mitigate that.

I also have no issue at all with being frisked, if its to combat any possibility then fine by me, dont know about the US but security at public events is not new or unique, its been deployed for decades.

I feel no more alarm about terrorist attacks than I did growing up in the UK in the 70s with the IRA rampant. I say bring em on, feel free to try and attack Scotland again, we all know what happened the last time a moron tried it, he got a kick to the genitals and booted to hell, and failed. 

Sensational claptrap by the media for ratings these days, nothing more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMJBQoHJ4E&t=150s

Edited by Mando