Which laptop is better HP or Lenovo?

Depends sorely on the make and parts.

Laptop GPU's: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Both are good companies, but you have to watch out for crappy merchandise. Lenovo's bad end is the IdeaPads Its more expensive, business class laptops, the Thinkpads, are better. Same goes for ANY company. They are cheap for a reason.

3 hours ago, medhunter said:

The HP page does not display the spec for me at least but it looks like it has a screen res of less than FHD 1920x1080

Both come with a slow HDD

Both come with just 8 gigs RAM and no indication if it can be expanded

Both dedicated GPUs are so weak that it's unclear what they could be useful for but the better driver support for NVIDIA and a more mature switching technology with Intel GPU would suggest the Lenovo is the better choice of these two low end units.

If the Lenovo has a M.2 slot for adding a fast SSD later on and even a single DIMM slot for RAM expansion, it would be a decent base for longer term use.

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

I don't think he is going to find one of his signature surplus Thinkpad deals in Egypt!

He couldf ship one. :rofl:

But, he could say what versions are better. As the Lenovo X1 aren't the only good brand.

I had an HP Pavilion laptop until very recently with an AMD A10 8700P APU in it (Radeon R6 integrated).  It sort of opened the door to building my gaming PC for me.  It could do some video editing (came with PowerDirector 12 pre-installed), and I even played Batman Arkham Asylum and Bioshock Remastered at 1080p, Ultra settings (folded up and connected to an external television).

The one thing I didn't like about the HP is that the case is one solid piece of material.  In days of olde, your laptop had removable panels in the bottom where you could access the RAM and hard drive, so if you wanted to upgrade those components, you could do so easily without voiding the warranty.  I don't know if Lenovo has done the same, but HP seems to have decided that all their laptops' cases need to be completely solid on the bottom so it's a bit more work to locate things like the RAM and hard drive if you want to upgrade them.  Heck the RAM could even be soldered onto the motherboard now, I dono.

Anyway, the point of my post is to let you know that I personally have had good experiences with HP computers.  My home server is an old HP Pavilion tower running Debian Linux with some big hard drives stuck in it.

54 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

But, he could say what versions are better. As the Lenovo X1 aren't the only good brand.

But I have already said which of the two OP models is better.

To speculate on any other options would require some knowledge of what is available in Egypt and what the prices are like in that region which I would have to drag in the powers of my imagination to think is very different from the Country of Texas.

In Texas, laptops must be certified to be environmentally friendly by surviving the impact from a Colt .45

That you for the good discussion.

Currently, I'm in KSA and I appreciate thinking outside the box.

My point is that I need to choose one of them.because they have the same price tag. I am not a Windows gamer.I even tend to install Linux (Nvidea is superior here).

The only difference I see besides the brand is the GPU. One of them could have anti glare screen.

So all in all, which one would you recommend and why? 

"Thinking ouside the box" is becoming a Uber driver for a week so you can get a decent laptop.

Of those two the 920 is a better choice, simply because you don't need a GPU anyways and if you ever do, the driver support will be slightly better for the 920.

Other than that, either laptop can shovel sand in an emergency, patch the hull from meteor damage on the next flight to Ganymede and are both certified for transit through Stargates.

• Like 2

Neither, lol. But if I had to choose between HP and Lenovo, I'd pick HP.

I might have jumped the gun, just actually checked the pages.

Not sure how to go on this price wise since I have no idea what those prices compare to in Canadian money.

But spec wise, neither are very good at all, surely there must be something better to choose.

The HP is going to be slow as molasses with an i5 and 5400 rpm drive.

Edited by LUTZIFER

Well, if he swaps a SSD in there, he should be fine.

46 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, if he swaps a SSD in there, he should be fine.

Yeah true, that would be good. Theyre cheap enough these days.

The GeForce 920M shouldn't be too bad for gaming.

Hello,

There's very little to differentiate the two; for your stated use, though, the Lenovo with the nVidia GPU would be better.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

From my perspective, they look pretty much the same, but the Lenovo is 50SR less expensive (no idea how much that is, as I am in the USA) and on Amazon has a marginally better customer ratings.

Neither will be stellar performers but should be decent. They have slow spinners, but if you're used to that it is less critical than if you use SSDs all day long.

Personally, for me, I'd buy the Lenovo but would not mind the HP either. Toss up- not machines to get excited over but very useful by specs.

21 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

21 hours ago, DevTech said:

I don't think he is going to find one of his signature surplus Thinkpad deals in Egypt!

21 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

We need @T3X4S in here...

Heck I'll even pay for it !  j/k

20 hours ago, DevTech said:

But I have already said which of the two OP models is better.

To speculate on any other options would require some knowledge of what is available in Egypt and what the prices are like in that region which I would have to drag in the powers of my imagination to think is very different from the Country of Texas.

In Texas, laptops must be certified to be environmentally friendly by surviving the impact from a Colt .45

I literally LOL'd @ that comment.  My fiance thought I was on the phone so when she saw I was on the computer I got that "you're weird" look.

I will let her out of her cage after Memorial Day....maybe.

ON TOPIC:

I know he is in outside of the Country of Texas, but I think the X1 from MicroCenter might be drying up.

As far as laptops go - I would say to avoid any HP laptop aside from their business models.
Of course, as mentioned, every company has nice stuff, and junk, and price is usually a good indicator of that.

If those 2 are the only ones the OP is considering - I'd go with the Lenovo.  That HP has cheap written all over it.

Sure you could pop in an SSD and have some good performance for everyday things - but one accidental drop and you are picking up parts for 2 days.

On 5/28/2017 at 7:55 PM, Mindovermaster said:

Depends sorely on the make and parts.

Laptop GPU's: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Both are good companies, but you have to watch out for crappy merchandise. Lenovo's bad end is the IdeaPads Its more expensive, business class laptops, the Thinkpads, are better. Same goes for ANY company. They are cheap for a reason.

Yep avoid the T series Lenovos, cheap tat.

22 hours ago, LUTZIFER said:

Neither, lol. But if I had to choose between HP and Lenovo, I'd pick HP.

I might have jumped the gun, just actually checked the pages.

Not sure how to go on this price wise since I have no idea what those prices compare to in Canadian money.

But spec wise, neither are very good at all, surely there must be something better to choose.

The HP is going to be slow as molasses with an i5 and 5400 rpm drive.

I understand the HP choice, as I have two HP notebooks, and convinced my Mom to follow me to HP notebook-dom (her AIO is also HP, so it didn't take much convincing).  The i5 isn't why the HP would be slow - it's the 5400rpm platter drive.  I have two 7200rpm WD Eco-Greens, and they are zippy.  If the platter drive is replaced with a 7200rpm Eco-Green - let alone an SSD of the same capacity, that will really put some zip in it (recommendation there, Crucial MX300 in 500GB, 750GB, or 1TB, or Samsung 850 EVO in the same capacities - yes; they will fit).

• Nick H. locked this topic