Any other way to force machine to boot? Switch doesn't seem to be working

Just put together a new build;

• Asus H81M-Plus
  • Celeron G1840
  • HyperX Fury 4GB
  • RM850i

I put the lot together, switched on the PSU and get a green LED on the MB. Pressing the power switch (or shorting out the pins on the MB directly) does nothing.

Tried the PSU on another MB/CPU combo with no issues.

Is there any way I can "force" the machine to boot? I'm getting literally no output when pressing power button (no CPU fan, no beeps, no screen output)

Thanks

EDIT: Also just noticed, if I power on the PSU (but don't attempt to turn the machine on), the chipset gets very hot very quickly. Surely this isn't normal behaviour (I've never thought to check before!)

Edited by Jonny Wright

Make sure you have ALL connections. 24-pin, 4/8-pin CPU power, 6-pin GFX Power (unsure your using one)

Edit: Also make sure there is nothing under the board. standoffs in the wrong place can make a short.

Edited by Mindovermaster

"EDIT: Also just noticed, if I power on the PSU (but don't attempt to turn the machine on), the chipset gets very hot very quickly. "

Nope...that isn't normal at all.  Counting on everything is hooked up correctly (and you've already tried the PSU in another system) ... you may have received a bad board ...or you're shorting it somewhere/somehow.  Recommend RMA'ing it.

• Like 2

You could try taking it out of the enclosure and setting it up on a table top with just memory and display. Since you may have to RMA it anyway no extra work.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, helpifIcan said:

You could try taking it out of the enclosure and setting it up on a table top with just memory and display. Since you may have to RMA it anyway no extra work.

I second that. Just make sure it's non-conductive surface :D

I hate it when a thread starts on HH & everyone's answers are great & I have nothing to add.  Makes me feel insignificant.
Gonna head over to the Windows/Windows Server sections to see if I can bestow my immense knowledge surpassed only by the giants of industry  BS my way to something resembling an educated guess.

damn you neowinians !  damn you !

The main reason I got my answer so quick is that when I build a new box IT ALWAYS gets set up out side of the box, makes trouble shooting much easier.

1 hour ago, helpifIcan said:

The main reason I got my answer so quick is that when I build a new box IT ALWAYS gets set up out side of the box, makes trouble shooting much easier.

Ditto. I set a new system on the shipping box to test it before I put it in the case. I had a bad stick of RAM once. Be hard to troubleshoot the problem inside the case.