'Woke' and 'post-truth' added to Oxford English Dictionary

'Woke' and 'post-truth' added to Oxford English Dictionary

The Oxford English Dictionary is getting political in its latest update, with "woke" and "post-truth" now included.

The original meaning of woke is to awaken after sleep but the word now has other social connotations.

"By the mid-20th century," says the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), "woke had been extended figuratively to refer to being 'aware' or 'well informed' in a political or cultural sense."

Post-truth was 2016's word of the year.

It is defined as "relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping political debate or public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief".

Source and more

Urgh, I dislike both of those words. Are 'fam' and 'bae' already in there, or have we been able to ignore them for the moment?

I can't remember if this was for the Oxford English Dictionary or something else, but I watched an interesting short video. It talked about how words/phrases like this make it into the dictionary. To summarise though, words that are added are usually down to an increasing trend of being used, mainly online. 

So I guess once again, we blame social media ;)

12 hours ago, Shiranui said:

I have never heard woke used in that way.

Then again, I do live in Japan.

I have never heard it either, let alone bae, or the other phrases, like cash me outside, I had to Google that phrase to know what it was supposed to mean, but I also avoid Facebook so I guess that might be where a fair amount of these words are used.

8 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have never heard it either, let alone bae, or the other phrases, like cash me outside, I had to Google that phrase to know what it was supposed to mean, but I also avoid Facebook so I guess that might be where a fair amount of these words are used.

That "cash me outside" ... I didn't hear about it until listening to a Hollywood Babble-On podcast where they were talking about it.  She has a lot of money now (estimated 200k) ... for that .. and set to make $1M.

/sigh.  I don't get it.

Language evolves, and good on it! I'm not going to be using any of those horrible words but I can bet my parents said the same thing about some of my generations additions to the dictionary. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim K said:

That "cash me outside" ... I didn't hear about it until listening to a Hollywood Babble-On podcast where they were talking about it.  She has a lot of money now (estimated 200k) ... for that .. and set to make $1M.

/sigh.  I don't get it.

The bad side of social media, and before anyone says anything, yes there is a good side :p

As a society, we need to stop making people like her "famous"