Speeder caught by Maine police at 139 mph

A self-proclaimed “good driver” was arrested in Maine this month after being clocked by police speeding at 139 mph.

In a Facebook posting, the Maine State Police say an aerial patrol spotted Sang Yook’s BMW Z4 speeding down I-95 at 69 mph over the posted limit.

He soon passed a police cruiser on the side of the road that chased him down and signaled him to pull over.

He complied, and reportedly told the officer that he was doing 75 mph when a car started tailgating him, so he sped up to get away. He admitted to hitting 130 mph.

"There was no one around - the road was very straight, very tempting," the New Jersey resident told NJ.com.

Yook then got out of the car “for a break” and refused to get back in when directed by the trooper. He was arrested and brought to jail. The following morning, he pled guilty and was sentenced to 48 hours in jail (with credit for the time served overnight) plus a $300 fine.

"I tried to reason with them, but (a trooper) rushed towards me and arrested me," he said. "I was really surprised that he had arrested me. I think I'm a good driver."

Yook claimed to NJ.com that the arresting officers “were very rude, brutal,” and that the jail "was like a zoo, there was banging noise all night.”

"It was scary. There were drug dealers there, criminals."

The 64-year-old said he was on his way to Prince Edward Island in Canada for a vacation at the time of the incident.

Source

Yook claimed to NJ.com that the arresting officers “were very rude, brutal,” and that the jail "was like a zoo, there was banging noise all night.”

The 64-year-old said he was on his way to Prince Edward Island in Canada for a vacation at the time of the incident.

LOL - Sounds like anyone after their 1st time.

Trust me, after some wild college years and a couple more times, you be like, "man  - I told dis foo you better not get up mah grill, I will rain hell on you bitch!... then he was all like, Brah - you bettuh respek me aiight ?!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

LOL - Sounds like anyone after their 1st time.

Trust me, after some wild college years and a couple more times, you be like, "man  - I told dis foo you better not get up mah grill, I will rain hell on you bitch!... then he was all like, Brah - you bettuh respek me aiight ?!"

Speaking from experience? :D

But yes I agree that this is a typical response from any virgin offender!

shoot in my country you get cought doing those speeds not only do you get a huge fine but you loose your license for 6 months aswell I'd rather take the 48hr in jail and still have my license 

15 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Speaking from experience? :D

But yes I agree that this is a typical response from any virgin offender!

Unfortunately - yes.

Lets just say when you dont care about anything because your family has an army of attorneys - the worst thing that ever happens is 4-8 hrs in jail.....several times.

Thankfully, I finally grew up

I commonly do triple digits when the conditions are right, but if there's traffic/congestion, then I'll take it easy and engage what I call "Peepaw Mode" which is just the normal driving mode on my car.  I understand that it's a cat and mouse game, if you lose, pay your ticket and either learn your lesson, or have money to spare. lol 

15 hours ago, Athlonite said:

shoot in my country you get cought doing those speeds not only do you get a huge fine but you loose your license for 6 months aswell I'd rather take the 48hr in jail and still have my license 

Huh? Where you live the speeding ticket goes away if you commit another offense???

So he got out of the car, when not instructed to, and then put his hand in his pocket....  Pretty bold move considering cops are extremely on-edge these days.  

13 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Huh? Where you live the speeding ticket goes away if you commit another offense???

Laws are/may be different in the states depends where you live.  Not all are same.

That would've been more than fast enough to get arrested here and a bonus $200 "Super Speeder" fine on top of whatever the ticket ends up being.

"was like a zoo, there was banging noise all night.”

Yup, sounds like the typical jail.

48 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Laws are/may be different in the states depends where you live.  Not all are same.

I understand but it would unusual to drop a lesser crime because one committed a worse one.

1 hour ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

So he got out of the car, when not instructed to, and then put his hand in his pocket....  Pretty bold move considering cops are extremely on-edge these days.  

Well, being Asian is almost as good as being white so his odds were good.

EDIT

Edited by oldtimefighter

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

While being Asian is almost as good being white so the his odds were good.

LOL - someone might read that statement, not understand what you meant and go absolutely berzerk.

1 minute ago, T3X4S said:

LOL - someone might read that statement, not understand what you meant and go absolutely berzerk.

I am not sure you understood it as I had to make a couple of corrections. LOL

What I think you meant was:

If he was white - there would be no danger of being shot by a cop.
Asian is "close" to white - so close to no danger.

What I meant by my statement was - if someone wanted to take that out of context, make a kneejerk comment, they would read the "almost as good as white" meaning - white being the best, period.  Further down the spectrum, but close is asian..... wait - ... I think you see where I am going with this - 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Well, being Asian is almost as good as being white so his odds were good.

EDIT

Well it was in Maine, where crime is low, so the kneejerk reaction to somebody not following orders is probably not that he has a gun.  Had it been in a city in Jersey, where crime is high, the cop probably would have acted more defensively.  I wouldn't quite say that race has anything to do with it.  Though I'm sure racial crime statistics play into some people's comfort levels.

2 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Well it was in Maine, where crime is low, so the kneejerk reaction to somebody not following orders is probably not that he has a gun.  Had it been in a city in Jersey, where crime is high, the cop probably would have acted more defensively.  I wouldn't quite say that race has anything to do with it.  Though I'm sure racial crime statistics play into some people's comfort levels.

Not necessarily comfort levels, more like fear and agenda.

On 6/29/2017 at 5:35 AM, oldtimefighter said:

Um no it doesn't it just gets worse 

Here (UK) 130mph..

Go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200 

No license, banned for a minimum period (I think it's 2 years) plus fines

Advanced and extended retest before the licensing body would consider re issuing a license.

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Here (UK) 130mph..

Advanced and extended retest before the licensing body would consider re issuing a license.

That is the way it should be everywhere! If you are going to be stupid enough to risk your life and most likely others by driving like a crazed idiot, then you should not be allowed to drive again for a good while!

• Like 1

Wow, not to stereotype, but a NJ driver in a BMW; I'm not surprised.  It seems like the most reprehensible jerk drivers out here in Arizona are in BMWs, or in the big pickup trucks with bumper stickers indicating their love for firearms.

• Like 1

Here (UK) 130mph..

Just another reason why I miss living in the UK. :cry:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, devHead said:

Wow, not to stereotype, but a NJ driver in a BMW; I'm not surprised.  It seems like the most reprehensible jerk drivers out here in Arizona are in BMWs, or in the big pickup trucks with bumper stickers indicating their love for firearms.

You forgot Audi's :p

48 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

Just another reason why I miss living in the UK. :cry:

With our fuel prices???

They make me cry lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, devHead said:

Where in AZ are you at?

You forgot Audi's :p

With our fuel prices???

They make me cry lol

Definitely remember that part of it. However, we did not live far from the Base (RAF Lakenheath), and the times we did travel far, we could stomach the gas prices.

• Like 1