WordPress.com Ecommerce theme

Question

I want to create an ecommerce website, like an online store where I can put my products for sale, so I have created a blog on WordPress.com (Free plan), but the problem is that I can't find a eCommerce theme in themes section, anyone knows about this please?

7 answers to this question

To actually make a webshop out of WordPress I'd suggest to use the WooCommerce plugin.

As for a large diverse choice of 3rd party themes I'd suggest to checkout ThemeForest.

You can't use most themes and plugins on Wordpress.com's free hosting.

You will have to get hosting elsewhere and do an install of WordPress from wordpress.org to do what you'd like to do.

7 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Why would WordPress (a blogging framework) be a go-to option for an eCommerce store?

Curious, not trolling.

Are you sure you're not trolling? Because WordPress is used far more than for blogging. Many large companies use WordPress for their sites. And WooCommerce is an easy to use, frequently updated plugin for it to start a store, with thousands of plugins just for WooCommerce. 

Something like 27% of the entire web runs off of WordPress. It is a fantastic framework for running business sites, and I really can't believe that you still think of it as a 'blogging framework'. 

http://www.wpbeginner.com/showcase/40-most-notable-big-name-brands-that-are-using-wordpress/

17 minutes ago, episode said:

Are you sure you're not trolling?

Yes, I'm very sure thanks.  

Because WordPress is used far more than for blogging.

I'm aware of this.

Many large companies use WordPress for their sites.

A site yes.  An eCommerce platform - I'm sure that many do and that wasn't my question.  My question was about it being a go-to option.

WooCommerce is an easy to use, frequently updated plugin for it to start a store, with thousands of plugins just for WooCommerce

So it extends the WordPress framework into an eCommerce platform.  That's great and you finally give an answer.  Marvellous - but again why would an extended blogging framework that has been extended via plugins be a go-to option over a dedicated eCommerce platform?

Something like 27% of the entire web runs off of WordPress

Cite?

It is a fantastic framework for running business sites

It sure is.  I know this.  That was never disputed. I've done so myself numerous times.

I really can't believe that you still think of it as a 'blogging framework'

Are you sure that you really can't believe it?  Of the % you noted before, how many are using it for their eCommerce platform?  The link you gave shows a lot of sites with news feeds being their predominant usage - one could argue you provided me with a list of blogs.  Google "WordPress" and the first result I get is "WordPress.com: Create a free website or blog" and then "Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS — WordPress".  A quick search of the first google results page for "WordPress" looking for the word "eCommerce" returns nothing - the same number returned by looking for "eCommerce" on the Wikipedia page about WordPress.  They return the word "blog" many times.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that I'm not trolling, thank you for asking.  Was my response above combative?  Yes, damn right, as I have asked a genuine question and don't expect to be accused of trolling.  Did I know that WooCommerce extended WordPress into an eCommerce platform? Yes, thanks, I did - I've been developing against WordPress since 2005, so I kinda know what WordPress is and what it isn't.  Can it be extended into an eCommerce platform?  Yes.  Does it compete with other specifically written platforms? Depends upon audience and purpose.  So again, I will ask:

what makes it a GO-TO eCommerce platform over a dedicated eCommerce platform?

18 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

what makes it a GO-TO eCommerce platform over a dedicated eCommerce platform?

Because its easy to use? Because its easy to integrate a site and store together? Because there are thousands of plugins already made for WooCommerce, so you can do just about anything you want to with it? WooCommerce is just as full-function as any 'dedicated' platform, but you add the ability to run anything WordPress can run as well, integrated into the same site.

Cite?

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/wordpress-quietly-powers-27-percent-of-the-web/

Are you sure that you really can't believe it?  Of the % you noted before, how many are using it for their eCommerce platform?  The link you gave shows a lot of sites with news feeds being their predominant usage - one could argue you provided me with a list of blogs.  Google "WordPress" and the first result I get is "WordPress.com: Create a free website or blog" and then "Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS — WordPress".  A quick search of the first google results page for "WordPress" looking for the word "eCommerce" returns nothing - the same number returned by looking for "eCommerce" on the Wikipedia page about WordPress.  They return the word "blog" many times.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that I'm not trolling, thank you for asking.  Was my response above combative?  Yes, damn right, as I have asked a genuine question and don't expect to be accused of trolling.  Did I know that WooCommerce extended WordPress into an eCommerce platform? Yes, thanks, I did - I've been developing against WordPress since 2005, so I kinda know what WordPress is and what it isn't.  Can it be extended into an eCommerce platform?  Yes.  Does it compete with other specifically written platforms? Depends upon audience and purpose. 

Usually when someone says 'I'm not trolling', they are. Why would you put that? It added nothing to your post. You could have just left that line out.

As far as your Google search, maybe you're just bad at Google. Why would you search for just 'WordPress' and expect ecommerce results? You should have searched for 'WordPress eCommerce' or 'WordPress Store' and you'd be in much better shape. The reason why you're not getting the results is because WordPress (the organization) doesn't make WooCommerce, its a third party. bbPress is also a very common WordPress plugin, but you don't get a result for that when you search for 'WordPress'. Does that mean WP shouldn't be used for forums either?

Edited by episode

31 minutes ago, episode said:

Usually when someone says 'I'm not trolling', they are. Why would you put that? It added nothing to your post. You could have just left that line out.

Because someone will pipe up about it being a troll question and then provide a long argument that doesn't actually answer the question.  I'd hate to be that guy, huh?

32 minutes ago, episode said:

Because its easy to use? Because its easy to integrate a site and store together? Because there are thousands of plugins already made for WooCommerce, so you can do just about anything you want to with it? WooCommerce is just as full-function as any 'dedicated' platform

Still not an argument that puts it as a "GO-TO" above a dedicated platform (not sure on your use of quote marks there, do you need me to explain what "dedicated" means?).

33 minutes ago, episode said:

you add the ability to run anything WordPress can run as well, integrated into the same site

Bingo, an answer.  Integration - so you argue that having WordPress run your eCommerce platform as well as your site and blog platforms is a reason.  That's fair, makes sense.

34 minutes ago, episode said:

As far as your Google search, maybe you're just bad at Google. Why would you search for just 'WordPress' and expect ecommerce results?

Seeing as I come at it from a "blog" standpoint and you come at it from an "eCommerce" standpoint, the logic of my search should not have escaped you quite so easily.

35 minutes ago, episode said:

Does that mean WP shouldn't be used for forums either?

Where did I state what WordPress should or shouldn't be used for?